Sign in to follow this  
Crafty Canary

Planning for next season

Now it is clear that our season is over we can at least start early planning for next season. I would like to think that the day after the season ends Neal will be given the boot and Lafferty, Whittaker, Turner, Bassong and Mulumbu will be released and a deal done to buy out Louis Jean Jarvis'' contract and Andreu given a free.

Unfortunately we just know that our hapless manager will be retained by our hapless owners. In this case I hope he still dumps the above and actually brings in players in the positions we need strengthening, mainly in defence. Appointing a good defensive play coach would also be a positive step.

The Merry Moaners and Happy Clappers can then get their hopes up for the new season.

I am not looking forward to next season if the Scottish idiot is still there come on Delia do the right thing now

If he''s going to go at the end of the season he may as well go tonight. We can gee the somebody (Warburton, Rowett?) in. He can then use the remainder of the season to assess the squad and convince players to stay

The alternative is wait and hope Monk becomes available...

I think it''s time to go now, I really do. No hard feelings particularly but it''s. Learnt not working.

At least going now will give us time to look around for the right man etc. My only issue is whether or not I could trust this board to make the right decision.

Time will tell I suppose.

Whoever is charge needs to completely dismantle our defence. Worst case scenario would be a new manager coming in and thinking they can get a tune out of this defensive unit where Hughton, Adams, and Neil all failed.

[quote user="TheManWhoSoldDerveld"]Whoever is charge needs to completely dismantle our defence. Worst case scenario would be a new manager coming in and thinking they can get a tune out of this defensive unit where Hughton, Adams, and Neil all failed.[/quote]If AN goes I think that worse case scenario is very likely to happen - it seems as though the majority still believe that we have great squad ''on paper'' and that it''s all down to a ''clueless'' manager that we''re not on our way straight back to the Premiership.Leaving aside that AN''s, admittedly relatively short, track record says he''s not clueless (as does Hughton''s which many of the same were desperate to get rid off) it seems pretty obvious to me that if you actually watch the games the squad is not any where near as good as people think - to put it kindly some are past their peak.To be a bit more brutal there are 6-8 of the senior players who need to give up or move on. One of my criticisms of AN is that he has been too loyal to some of these players but despite that I think he is better equipped and more likely to conduct the necessary clear out in the summer than a newly arrived manager who may well spent the first chunk of next season trying to get these players to perform - and of course in patches they will, as they have done this season but in the end they''ll fail again.We also have a very promising group of young players to come through, which in large part is down to AN signing promising youngsters for the future. So, with the proviso that he does dispense Lafferty, Mulumbu, Dorrans, Ruddy, Bennett etc in the summer I''d be quite interested to see what he could with the youngsters blended in with some of the experienced guys who are still doing it - Howson, Pinto, Jerome etc.

Give AN the boot now, and hope for a change in fortune under someone else with new, fresh ideas. Try to gatecrash the playoffs.

[quote user="djc"]Give AN the boot now, and hope for a change in fortune under someone else with new, fresh ideas. Try to gatecrash the playoffs.[/quote]Yes right, that approach has worked really well for us in recent years, hasn''t it!???

The club won''t be planning for anything until we know for certain what division we''ll be playing in next year.

As it stands AN is totally safe and will be as long as we stay clear of the relegation places. He won''t be playing the youth for the rest of the season, we''ll see the same old faces as he tries to salvage this season.

If next season we''re in the bottom 8 or so places after 15/20 games I think the board might give him a push. Otherwise I wouldn''t expect anything to change next game/ over the next few weeks or even next season.

AN on the radio sounded resigned to defeat, and has no idea how to solve the problem.

. This rubs off on the players, and voilà, this performance today sums up the need to change.

Take Leicester, two wins on the bounce since sacking their premier league winning manager. What makes AN better than Ranieri?

That''s a great post creative midfielder.

But I doubt many have the stomach or the patience. We are putting together a squad we can identify with and take pride in. But in this instant gratification driven world building for the future holds little appeal.

Are we?

I identified just fine with the squad that won at Wembley. A squad AN has now taken backwards.

Instant gratification?  Would any other club have been as forgiving of AN as our board have been?What evidence is there that we are building for the future?  What future is that, I should really be asking?

So if we keep that squad but change the manager you''d be happy GJP. I don''t think this squad have got another season in them. But in the end its just different fans with different opinions.

I wonder if today''s Bennett for Murphy substitution was a WTF moment with the players and the last straw. I wouldn''t have Neil anywhere in my plans. Get rid now!

I don''t believe AN is taking the club forward. I think that''s been the case for the majority of his time at the club.

I said he would find it hard to turn things around after relegation (because nothing about the Prem season suggested he could) and that had proven to be the case.

Has to go. Not the man for the job.

Both posted by Nutty on this thread............................ We are putting

together a squad we can identify with and take pride in. I don''t think this squad have got another season in them.Now call me old fashioned but does not one sort of contradict the other ? [*-)]

We''ll you are old fashioned that part is a given.

We have been building a younger squad but at the same time we have been stuck with players we couldn''t move on. Some of them will be gone in the summer.

Charlie Wyett on Twitter: manager out of his depth. How many players in last 18 months have improved under AN? None

Sums it up for all but the happy clappers. Another year of Neil and we''ll be back in L1 but without Holt, Lambert or McNally. That doesn''t augur well.

Whilst it''s looking pretty grim at the moment I do think next season could be really exciting. Obviously we need to find a suitable manager and in my opinion some more experienced and proven coaching staff. Not sure Irvine has given us anything more than Holt, maybe less.

But we have a really good squad. And some good young players too. Some of the old guards contracts are up and I''m sure a couple more will move on.

But I think keeping with Alex Neil is not only wrong on a football level but also wrong for the atmosphere amongst supporters come next season. Again, there will be criticism of the board on here. And some of it will be fair. After all, it seems pretty clear sticking with him was the wrong choice.

Unfortunately there''ll also be unfair criticism where history gets rewritten.

[quote user="Highland Canary"]Charlie Wyett on Twitter: manager out of his depth. How many players in last 18 months have improved under AN? None

Sums it up for all but the happy clappers. Another year of Neil and we''ll be back in L1 but without Holt, Lambert or McNally. That doesn''t augur well.[/quote]Jacob Murphy??

What Wyett was arguing. For today Murphy, sadly, looked like he was frozen in the headlights; he looked like a kid in a man''s game. A manager needs to know when to dip players out too. But today was yet another big game no show. Only 1p5wich supporters could possibly be arguing for managerial continuity.

Jacob has done pretty much what I expected. He can beat a man and he can score a goal (I think we always knew he would be able to do that at this level) but a lot of his game needs work.