Sign in to follow this  
Jim Smith

Neil installed as favourite for the Rangers job

Exactly Rob. There''s no point rushing to get rid of AN now, although obviously if we could avoid the compensation then I understand a bit more perhaps.

The problem is the club (seemingly, from whats been said) are desperate for a long-term manager. I don''t quite see that working. The modern manager seems to have a limited shelf life - regardless of if they''re at Notts County or Man City.

There''s room for sentiment in football and I''ll forever look back at Wembley with great fondness and will always be eternally grateful of Alex Neil for such a great period. However, you can''t forgive a very underwhelming last 18 months just because of what happened two years ago. Alex Neil has been on a downward spiral for at least a year, has spent a lot of money on the squad yet we have a very imbalanced squad in a worse position than when he started.

This is not a blip either. We''ve been underperforming away from home since January 2016, and these great home wins can only mask our failings to a certain extent. Our "good runs" have been ended by some poor teams in away games for most of the season. Indeed, our better runs of form have been the exception rather than the rule. Losing 8 out of 9 games would have seen other managers lose their jobs, and we haven''t massively improved since.

In another thread...I posted names (Hodgson, etc...)...but I can''t say they are the solution or the right men for the job... Persevering with AN is imo not going to move us forward, but that doesn''t mean dumping him immediately would be a good thing...there has to be a manager lined up!

I don''t think anyone is advocating "getting rid" of him at this juncture, merely commenting that if he was targeted for the job and interested in it then it might provide an escape route for all parties from what promises to be a pretty awkward situation if we do not make the playoffs whereby the majority of fans want him gone but the club either can''t or won''t pay the money it takes to sack him. He may also know that he will never regain the support of many fans and be looking for an escape route.

There seems to be a substantial element of our support who think that if we can no longer make the playoffs then the club will act and remove him ahead of next season. I can''t really see any basis for that belief and think that they will let him carry on into next season.

Definitely room for sentiment in all aspects of life. Especially within a football club which is such a large part of the lives in the community attached to it. I wonder if people who say differently really believe it or if it''s just "keyboard talk".

look how Leicester played against Liverpool after sacking their manager, played with freedom and flare maybe we can do that for rest of season

[quote user="dave2571"]i will pay his bus fare if he leaves tomorrow[/quote]

I will push his BMW up there by hand.

[quote user="dave2571"]look how Leicester played against Liverpool after sacking their manager, played with freedom and flare maybe we can do that for rest of season[/quote]
It remains to be seen whether Leicester will do that for the rest of the season or if it was just a one-off.