no qualms about the result - but yet another second half no show - we never sounded uncomfrotable, but better sides would have provided a bigger threat, credit where credit''s due tho, excellent 1st half, well done worthy, but for me he still has to go...we will get punished unless we play for 90MINS not 45!!!

give some credit to Hull in the second half - almost ten men behind the ball for most of the game. well organised and difficult to score against.

game ruined in the second half for me by the old gits moaning for 45 minutes. if you don''t like it, then why come?

Can you never see the positives, Tom?
Admittedly not so many chances in the second half, but we certainly had a few. Unfortunately most of them seemed to fall to Lisbie - great running and vision, but unable to get a shot away on many occasions.
Hull changed things to try and stifle our creativity, pulling an extra man behind the ball, despite needing a goal. Doesn''t that indicate the threat we were tonight? Despite this we STILL had a hatful of chances to add to the lead. It''s not Worthy''s fault if the strikers are firing blanks, is it?
A few more goals all round will give everybody the confidence to pull the trigger a little earlier, not just Safri!

You always sound so passionate, mate, I hate to see all that energy devoted to finding fault. By all means complain, just try to accept some of the good things and acknowledge them so we can share your smiles as well as your pain

[quote]no qualms about the result - but yet another second half no show - we never sounded uncomfrotable, but better sides would have provided a bigger threat, credit where credit''s due tho, excellent 1st ha...[/quote]

I couldn''t have said it better Tom. Worthless still has to go. People get a grip. It was Hull!!!!

I thought the first half performance was excellent. Great to see Hux back in his best position, and McVeigh able to link up with the midfield. Safri also again outstanding; clearly the player of the year so far. 

Second half I thought we were very conservative. Looked like both centre midfielders instructed to sit, and lacked a presence up front with Ashton having to go off.

Good 3 points though, and incredibly we''re only 4 off the play-offs, albeit conceding games in hand, and having played 7 at home.

Still think Worthington''s comments on Saturday were outrageous though...

The thing is we kept possession well for the second half and went for the third but never at the expense of being exposed on the break. It worked well and after Ashton went off we didn''t have a lot up front.

That''s probably the best we''ve played so far this season

[quote]Fod God''s sake be happy, we won![/quote]

hmm, im not impressed thou

its a worrying thought that we cant play for 90 minutes..........

it was a big part of our promotion season, being the fittest team in the league, and it paid of, now we are lacking something.....

There was no way we were going to maych the first 45 in the second half of the game, the pace of the first half was incredible and some of the best football I''ve seen us play for ages. The movement was superb and gave us huge amounts of space to pass the ball around in, which Safri and others did to great effect.

The second half was inevitably more sedate, but we still created loads of chances and looked comfortable. You can always say ''a better side would have punished us'', because that''s always true. But we were the better side tonight and we punished Hull for taking such a quick lead.

Tom, that''s heresy. Please put on your yellow-and-green goggles or suffer the consequences - post upon post by the Sanctimonious Brigade.

Now, say the mantra after me, "Worthy is a great manager and can do no wrong." 

I am extremly happy about the result 3points which is the main thing, but have to agree with Tom that beating teams like hull should be an absolute given with the squad we have. And on that second half display we would have been punished against better teams (hull were poor by the way) 

Worthy should still go, although the board will never sack him. We need a change.

Credit where credits due to worthy on his team selection, starting to relise what we have been going on about for all this time have you worthy? That was our strongest team out there tonight. Shame to see ashton unfit.

Docherty looks like a new signing! He was brilliant all night didn''t muck up all game. We need to buy davensport aswell. Him and Doc will do well together, very solid.

But the moaners don''t want to be happy!  They want to be able to justify their vendettas.

You''re miles off-beam. We played well in the second half - the defence played as well as in the first half (i.e. very well), and we had lots of possession and passing, but less incisiveness. So not as well in attack as the first half, and the midfield sat off more, but also Hull played better. You''re just a miserable SOB.

Excellent performance all round for me, after such an excellent first half we were always going to struggle to match it in the second. Even in the second half we created at least 4 half decent chances and were a class above Hull all night. Despite what some people think Hull are not a bad side and we totally outclassed them so I say well done Worthy and the boys.

Forgive me if im wrong but when we won the Championship 2 years ago I remember that we always used to play in halves. Ipswich at home was a classic example.  The people who want Worthington out are just here to get noticed - whats the point of spreading negativity??  We have just got 9 points from 5 games - its not bad - the team are now looking better - lets get behind the team and look at the postives.  Otherwise we will end up like Ipswich - with nothing to look forward to.

Green Tee Shirt.......Why is it moaning when Tom, and the people around you at the game, have merely responded to what is true? We played really well in the first half with Hucks in particular back to his best form. In the second half we struggled to have any penetration, or indeed to even maintain possession. That''s factual, not moaning.

[quote]There was no way we were going to maych the first 45 in the second half of the game, the pace of the first half was incredible and some of the best football I''ve seen us play for ages. The movement wa...[/quote]

Quite right Ama.  Of course it would be different against a better team but all you can do is beat the team you are playing.

It appeared to me that Hull came out in the second half trying not to get hammered.  That is compliment to how well we played in the first half.

Standards have dropped significantly, we are celebrating a narrow win against mighty Hull as the second coming.  It was decidedly average and does not promise much for the future.

From listening to the radio, it sounded like the team were getting more nervous the longer the game went on. Bearing in mind the terrible start to the season, and the resulting pressure from the fans, this is entirely understandable. As confidence grows, hopefully they can turn a 45 minute excellent performance into a 75 minute excellent performance which will be enough to win most of our games. Neil Adams was right last night; at the start of the season we could only put a decent 10 minute spell in, now its 45 minutes, we need to extend that further.

Worthy IS turning it around. The defence is looking much more solid, and more chances ARE being created than at the beginning of the season. Our goals came from midfielders and defenders, for the first time this season. We had good set pieces, obviously something from the training ground IS working. We aren''t there yet, we need to improve again against Brighton, but its one step at a time.

I''m still worried about our midfield when Safri is out (Ramadan and the African Nations Cup) and I''m still worried that we lack penetration against a team that puts 10 men behind the ball (like last night 2nd half). But we are seeing an improvement and Worthy has deservedly bought himself more time.

After our faltering start to the season I think points are the main thing for now. We did play very well 1st half, before we get too carried away by Doc''s performance ( which was solid apart from the first 20mins) don''t forget it was him who gave away a needless free kick for Hull''s goal !

Far too many passes going astray in 2nd half, Marney barely put in a decent cross in 2nd half and presumably that''s why he was taken off. Bit of a worry that we were all anxious for the final whistle in extra time, no disrespect (I thought they did well for a newly promoted side) but it was Hull after all

you can only beat the team you are playing against in the match...and we did!

Do some people have to moan all the time? Get a life,guys!

We''ve got to take the positives from the game.  An awesome first half.  The word "rampant" was used several times.  Yes, we didn''t kill the game off in the second half but Hull were playing 10 men behind the ball most of the time.  They''re hard to break down.  Hucks sounded awesome; back to the form we saw him in two years ago. Saf was, well Saf.  How we are going to cope without him soon is beyond me

Jury still well out for me I am afraid. I will only believe we have turned the corner when we start winning against teams who we consider have the potential to be in the top six of this league. The hard fact is that we have failed to beat anybody considered half-decent (unless you include Ipswich in that !!) all this season and even the pre-season. At the moment I still feel the most likely outcome of this season is that we will win a few games against the likes of Hull and Plymouth but lose or draw against the better sides, this will result in us finishing mid-table and that really is not good enough for us.

Of course, the January transfer window could change all that.

Mark .Y.

The way we used our formation last night was as balanced as I''ve ever seen it. We didn''t over use Hucks like we normally do and therefore were far less predictable. There was no panic running and Safri''s distribution was extra-special.

Still appalled at the amount of people moaning at the ground when we were keeping excellent possession in the last 10-15 mins last night. 2-1 up with that amount of time to go and we nearly always get nervous, but not last night. We were composed and in command yet people STILL wanted us to attack! We did something we never normally do last night - we killed off the game! That''s the sign of a damn good team-enjoy it!

I just wanted to add to my ''positive'' post of last night.

I was wrong to ask Tom to be more positive. This thread has so much polarised opinion runnning through it that a more balanced opening would have blighted!
For myself, I admit that I''m not totally happy with the manager/coaching set-up, although I don''t think they''re down the tactical blind alley that they''ve been accused of.

I guess it''s down to preference - do we want a board where opposing camps keep restating their views (becoming ever more extreme in their attack/defence of Worthy, or others), or do we allow a little more balance into our quotes.
Looking at Tom''s original post for another time, I can see how it was pretty well done, not totally anti, although definitely maintaining his disapproval of Worthy. Other posters on the thread (not all) have then split to opposite poles to either back, or attack Tom (yes, I am as guilty as others), rather than enter into a debate on the opinions he stated.

Putney, Saint & Birchington probably hit the ''seeing-both-sides'' button the best, with a few too many just looking to hop on their hobby horses. Maybe we should be on the bench next game, loads of effort and desire, just lacking a bit of creativity where it matters.

By the way, I''m still mostly positive about last night!

[quote]Jury still well out for me I am afraid. I will only believe we have turned the corner when we start winning against teams who we consider have the potential to be in the top six of this league. The ha...[/quote]

Got to agree with you there. A good result last night, but can anyone seriously see us getting anything from away games to the likes of Wolves and Sheffield United?

Improvements are still needed.

[quote]Standards have dropped significantly, we are celebrating a narrow win against mighty Hull as the second coming. It was decidedly average and does not promise much for the future.[/quote]

Gotta agree.

2-1, at home, against HULL.

NOT Worthy''s career-saver by any means.

Why are we being so supremist on here?  We only beat HULL, we should have won 5-1, not 2-1 etc.  Listen up people, you can only beat your opposition on the day, this division is all about grinding out results. It sounds as if we had to play 2 kinds of football last night, attacking in the first half when the game was open, and then patiently in the 2nd half when Hull put their entire team behind the ball.

3 points is 3 points, it doesn''t matter who against or how you get them.