Sign in to follow this  
The Bristol Nest

Come on everyone, that's a good window....

Norwich are getting ready for a long stay in the Champs or even lower , very poor window all the dross like Martin, Whittaker ,Lafferty etc are still here when they should have been long gone . We just cannot compete at this level anymore without investment , look at the fees for Hogan and Rhodes above what we would pay even if we were in the top flight.Weaker now than when the window opened , still waiting for that decent centre back and striker and fully expect to get weaker every eindow from now on untill we get some decent owners.

"To pay them off they have to agree to it, would you in their position?"

Depends how much they were offered and how near this equates to the money that they would have received in wages.

They would then be free agents able to find a club of their choice.

I think that this route is quite easy to understand, both for the club and the players.

Some are having difficulty getting their heads around it.

Laffery/ Turner unlikely to be used again this season. Still need paying in full ''til their contracts run out. They are filling up squad places.

Buy up their contracts.

[quote user="morty"][quote user="Morgan"]I''m happy. Couldn''t give a fig for Brady and Olsson, not that I didn''t appreciate them when they were here but Neil made the right choices given the position we''re in.[/quote]I don''t know if I''m annoyed or happy that Brady played so well on Saturday, you could spin it whichever way you like.I''m going to spin it in the direction of "I wish he''d put that much effort in, in every game".[/quote]

My thoughts aswell Morty...I didn''t see him perform consistently whan he was here, so I was in two minds too. He wight well do a very good job for Burnley, but if he plays inconsistent like he did here, he''ll be on Sean Dyche''s bench. I do rate Dyche higher than AN...

[quote user="me tarzan"][quote user="bristolcanary"]Brady and Olsson wanted out since the summer. Canos was a strange one. The left side is sorted and we have youth coming through as well. I am glad we kept our first team. There was a danger that we could lose the Murphy''s, klose, naismith et al.[/quote]Looking at those coming through.. Murphy''s, Morris, Thompson, McGrandles, Mathews,Godfrey... and others we are in a very strong positionOne that makes me glad I stuck a few quid on us a few days back at 8-1.I''m certain you won''t see those odds again this season[/quote]Generally between 7''s and 8''s with the major bookies this morning. 9''s with Skybet.Wouldn''t say the odds look over generous right now but they will if we beat Cardiff and Wigan.

Very decent window. Replaced two internationals who were only ever gonna give 90% effort a game for us with two exciting players of a type we desperately (emphasise that word) need with pace, power and good dribbling skills. Not to mention they will both be desperate to the PL with us having not proven themselves at that level yet.

I''m happy to see Canos go. I don''t really rate him from what I''ve seen in the under 23''s and he''s certainly not one of our better diminutive, titchy, technical attacking mids.

[quote user="Time to go Delia"]Norwich are getting ready for a long stay in the Champs or even lower , very poor window all the dross like Martin, Whittaker ,Lafferty etc are still here when they should have been long gone . We just cannot compete at this level anymore without investment , look at the fees for Hogan and Rhodes above what we would pay even if we were in the top flight.Weaker now than when the window opened , still waiting for that decent centre back and striker and fully expect to get weaker every eindow from now on untill we get some decent owners.[/quote]You were probably saying the same about McCormack earlier in the season though, I suspect.

[quote user="BroadstairsR"]"To pay them off they have to agree to it, would you in their position?"

Depends how much they were offered and how near this equates to the money that they would have received in wages.

I think that this route is quite easy to understand, both for the club and the players.

Laffery/ Turner unlikely to be used again this season. Still need paying in full ''til their contracts run out. They are filling up squad places.

Buy up their contracts.[/quote]Sorry but it makes zero financial sense.Whether he is here or not you are proposing we pay Lafferty regardless. Then also pay another striker at the same time?Don''t get me wrong, Laffs is a useless lump, but good enough to warm the bench, for now. We play a single striker, we have pretty much what we need right now.

I feel this window was as good as we could reasonably expect. Olsen and Brady were going to go in the summer if not now and we achieved good fees for both. Their replacements appear to be more physical players than the ones we have let go and that is definitely a plus in this league.

This window also shines a light on the future if we do not gain promotion this season or next. Once the parachute payments end the only way we shall be able too spend millions on a single player will be if we sell players for high fees. The club''s policy of investing in young players with potential is clearly the right one to meet that potential future.

"Sorry but it makes zero financial sense.

Whether he is here or not you are proposing we pay Lafferty regardless. Then also pay another striker at the same time?"

Depends upon the quality of the signings.

We won''t be the only one''s interested in the right prospects and if they continue to impress for their clubs then they would likely cost more should we go back for them in the summer window.

I don''t really know what people were expecting. It''s neither a great nor bad window, it''s not been surprising and it''s not left us in trouble.
But the realism has to set in that thanks to our awful run we wouldn''t be able to keep all our top players when Prem clubs come sniffing. All we can realistically do in that scenario and get the best price we can and make sure we replace them. We''ve done that.
Are these two players as good as what left? Obviously not, there''s a reason Prem clubs wanted Brady and Olsson and only Champs clubs were interested in the players we''ve signed. But this football thing isn''t all individual talent, if they play and work hard for the team and use their physicality they could actually benefit us more than the players that have left.
The only argument is we shouldn''t have found ourselves in a position where promotion looks unlikely to the point our top players want to leave. But that''s happened with those top players in the team so even then i''m struggling.
Excited to see what these new guys bring personally.

[quote user="BroadstairsR"]"Sorry but it makes zero financial sense.

Whether he is here or not you are proposing we pay Lafferty regardless. Then also pay another striker at the same time?"

Depends upon the quality of the signings.

We won''t be the only one''s interested in the right prospects and if they continue to impress for their clubs then they would likely cost more should we go back for them in the summer window.[/quote]We''ll get a much better deal in the summer than we would have done in January.I want shot of Lafferty as much as anyone, but I fully understand the clubs logic behind this.

I think we should all be pleased for Morty, we signed a left back and that means he won''t have to put a call in to 01603617321.It also meams that Greavsy won''t have to call in immediately afterwards make a snidey comment and proclaim he has a right to as it a ''phone in show.

[quote user="TCCANARY"]I think we should all be pleased for Morty, we signed a left back and that means he won''t have to put a call in to 01603617321.It also meams that Greavsy won''t have to call in immediately afterwards make a snidey comment and proclaim he has a right to as it a ''phone in show.

[/quote]Haha, I had actually forgotten about that.[:D]

[quote user="morty"][quote user="TCCANARY"]I think we should all be pleased for Morty, we signed a left back and that means he won''t have to put a call in to 01603617321.It also meams that Greavsy won''t have to call in immediately afterwards make a snidey comment and proclaim he has a right to as it a ''phone in show.

[/quote]Haha, I had actually forgotten about that.[:D][/quote]
I hadn''t [:D]
I was really looking forward to Morty vs Butler...

[quote user="hogesar"][quote user="morty"][quote user="TCCANARY"]I think we should all be pleased for Morty, we signed a left back and that means he won''t have to put a call in to 01603617321.It also meams that Greavsy won''t have to call in immediately afterwards make a snidey comment and proclaim he has a right to as it a ''phone in show.

[/quote]Haha, I had actually forgotten about that.[:D][/quote]
I hadn''t [:D]
I was really looking forward to Morty vs Butler...
[/quote]Pfffft, would have been like man against boy[;)]

Butler has the luxury of a hang up button tho

Strictly speaking we haven''t signed a left back tho, we''ve borrowed one!!

[quote user="BroadstairsR"]"To pay them off they have to agree to it, would you in their position?"

Buy up their contracts.[/quote]The usual procedure is that they get the full amountLess any they then get elsewhereI suspect that the club recognises that this is the time to throw whatever they can at going up then see where they are in MayPaying a player off (so to speak) is often due to the club not wanting the player around, McCormack, or there is not going to any chance of them being used againThe relatively meagre amounts we would save does not warrant the risk

I hope it is a good window but only time will tell.

My feeling is that Brady was playing as well as he has for a long time (AN - said no need to sell but did?) and that Olssen was our best left back & an experienced Championship player. Yanic did well in League 1 & the Dutchman has not played in this league so it''s a risk.

I hope my worries are proven wrong.

Not forgetting that the two lefties really wanted to play their football elsewhere, and the two newboys add some much needed physical clout, sadly lacking so far. On balance I think the window will prove to be a good one.

[quote user="Greavsy"]Butler has the luxury of a hang up button tho

Strictly speaking we haven''t signed a left back tho, we''ve borrowed one!![/quote]strictly speaking all players a borrowed in that we hold their registration for a short period only and it is not up to us what happens when that registration contract runs out

Jury out really. Good money for the three departures and two replacements brought in with lots of cash to spare. The new guys are pretty unknown so only time will say how good they are. Fairness they could transform the side they could also be flops

With you and LDC both sporting fetching hats, it''s time for me to get in on the act I feel - is that you in that photo Yorkshire wearing a snazzy grimace??

Good question.

I think that keeping the players that we have is a good indicator that there is not a desperate rush for the door, that we offloaded people that were always going to leave and could attract those who were wanted by other clubs.

The improved form of Naismith changed my view of the window as well.

Success or failure, the judgement will all come down to results.

If we put in a classic City "no show" on Saturday many will be calling the window a failure.