Sign in to follow this  
The Bristol Nest

Come on everyone, that's a good window....

It was not a good window on any sense of the word. We lost Brady - who is better than some give him credit for- and Olson, both international prem players, and purchased a Wigan player who has potential but is neither. And took a loan which is only a stop gap.

We have stupidly sent a promising LB on loan leaving ourselves one injury away from disaster and did nothing to bolster the one area anyone can see needs strengthening CB

That said we have started the process of balancing the squad- with a big squad a non playing Canos leaving makes sense- and bringing down the wages. The summer will see a big upheaval (one hopes). In the end 5/10 window.

But good? Weakening your first XI is hardly that

Too early to tell: until we have seen the new recruits a few times, we don''t really know what we have got.Positive slant - we have lost two players that didn''t want to be here Negative slant - we''ve sold two players that premier league teams wanted and replaced them with two that PL teams did not want.My instincts are with Muzinic earlier - I think that we are too often bullied and having a couple more tall "bruisers" in this league will help.

A good window? You''re having a laugh!

Norwich fans have become so desperate, that the PURCHASE of one player, and if the sums bandied about are to be believed, paying SEVEN times his value from a year ago, having scored the princely sum of six goals, is deemed as good business?

This guy needs to hit the ground running.

The player on loan will be off like a shot if we don''t make the play-offs.

Yet again the centre-half position has been ignored. The biggest weakness at the club, and one where AN will continue to shuffle his meagre options until the end of the season, unable to settle on a duo fit for purpose.

Good money for Brady, average money for Olsson, but as for Canos...what the hell was that all about?

Good window financially

Sold

Brady, Olsson, Canos

Loans out

Morris, Toffolo

Bought

Yanic, Viking boy 16 yr old

Loans in

Dijks

(Madison back loan completed)

Could have been worse, if Yanic didn''t sneek in at 10:59 it would have looked a bit grim.

and if the sums bandied about are to be believed,which clearly you do as the provideY a convenient peg to hang your anti club rants uponare we to presume that as a player is on loan he will not be so good as if we had bought him - he is here to do a job not get in the play offs or get to the the play off final but to win promotionif that doesn''t happen then we can both go our seperate ways if that suits, without us being lumbered with a hefty transfer fee and wagesso why not wait and see what happens - or better still take a look down the A140 ?

Positives-

We got the two targets we wanted over the line.

We got good money for Brady, our most expendable of our big name players.

The loan deal for Dijks makes loads of sense.

We made a tidy profit.

Negatives-

Our defence is now weaker than when the window started. I don''t know if Dijks is as good as Olsson but we are now one injury/suspension away from Whittaker at left back again.

No centre back.

We''ve failed to make an dent in the fundamental imbalance of the squad- we''ve still got a huge number of attacking midfielder/winger types and not enough strikers/good enough centre backs.

We''ve sold a promising young player we only signed 6 months ago.

My gut feeling is we''ve overpaid quite a bit for Yanic but that can''t be known until we see him play.

So it''s a mixed bag for me.

Canos looks decent business to me.

We brought three wingers into the first team picture this summer, two have worked and are on long term contacts, one didn''t and we got our money back.

It could easily have been any of them that worked, it just happens to be the Murphys. We couldn''t know that in advance, so we have ourselves the best chance.

How can Canos be decent business? Even in the unlikely event that we got back what we paid for him in transfer fees (which I seriously doubt) we have no doubt wasted half a million in wages on him over the last 5 months. I suspect overall we will be down at least a million on the whole deal. The Canos situation is a symptom of both poor recruiting and poor management.

As for the others we will have to wait and see. I think they both look decent players albeit I think we have paid over the odds for Wildshut and I worry that we now only have one left back in the squad.

Squad was too big and it is not much smaller now, but the players out and the players in looks good.  Great to see new faces and ones that might add something to the performances we have.  The only issue is how quickly they can both be integrated into the left side of the team.   Great opportunity to press on with the promotion challenge!

Looks to me like nothing more than replacing like for like (albeit at a slightly lower quality level IMHO), using the additional funds to shore up any possible negative balances going into next season, but somehow STILL not managing to bring in a quality CB to play alongside Klose.I''m also concerned about lack of cover at LB, I wouldn''t have minded Toffolo being cover but I think we were as hasty with that decision as we have been with Canos, which is another choice I don''t understand and at this point see as little more than a missed opportunity.

I guess it really depends how good these 2 replacements are before we can judge how good our business was.

On paper it looks like we did the bare minimum.

Being realistic i wasn''t expecting any CB''s so that wasn''t a surprise. Expecting a summer overhaul in that area.

Gutted we didn''t strengthen CM. Relying a on a lot of luck with injury/suspension. A decent CM to partner Howson could have really pushed us on IMO. Mulumbu has done well this season but picks up injuries, not rating Tettey one bit these days. Thompson/Dorrans out we look light of numbers.

Let''s hope the new lads hit the ground running and luck comes our way throughout rest of season.

The window ticked all the necessary boxes.We have two players here that want to be here (that some seem quick to judge without even having kicked a ball for us) and we have got shot of two players that didn''t want to be here, three if you count Canos.We have cut some costs and left a bit in the bank.Defensively I think we have just about enough for the level we are at, and the same could be said about up front.I would have liked to have seen Lafferty gone, but obviously thats proving difficult.Over all it panned out pretty much how I expected it to.

Canos was decent business, because every player is a gamble, & to lose £1m (or, I suspect, rather less) is peanuts. He could have been terrific, but he wasn''t. That''s football.

You can''t always buy a Grant Holt.

As has been widely noted, these are two bonny big boys, & aren''t going to be bullied out of possession as we too frequently are. They seem to be direct, attacking players with a good degree of pace & skill; it''s obvious Neil likes to attack & we now must have the most attack minded full backs in the division. Dijks can cross a ball & , whisper it soft, there''s something of a much lamented mullet haired winger about Mr. Wildschut. We shall see. We live in hope.

And nice to see 7rew popping up again!

We signed the players that we had to, nothing more, nothing less. To be fair, that''s all we could have really expected at the start of the window.

We were never going to go on a Wolves/Villa-like bender & start chucking money around like there is no tomorrow

Personally, I thought we may have got another after Canos went, but the club had priorities. Imagine if we had spent 10mil on Rhodes after selling Brady & didnt get in replacements for Brady/Olsson...

@Ron - its still not "decent business2 its cutting your losses. It will be interesting to see how he gets on at Brentford if he''s given a chance there.

I too like the look of the new boys so fingers crossed. We have though left ourselves exposed if Dijks gets an unjury and as someone else has commented the CM options look a little bare as well although I disagree with the comments above about Tettey who I think has looked back on song in recent weeks.

Yeah as others have suggested bit early to judge just yet, personally I''m concerned we''ve lost more experience than gained. Hopefully the desire of the new boys will outway their lack of experience.

Looking forward to seeing them in action against Forest.

I''m happy. Couldn''t give a fig for Brady and Olsson, not that I didn''t appreciate them when they were here but Neil made the right choices given the position we''re in.

[quote user="Morgan"]I''m happy. Couldn''t give a fig for Brady and Olsson, not that I didn''t appreciate them when they were here but Neil made the right choices given the position we''re in.[/quote]I don''t know if I''m annoyed or happy that Brady played so well on Saturday, you could spin it whichever way you like.I''m going to spin it in the direction of "I wish he''d put that much effort in, in every game".

It''s going to be a difficult ask getting promoted this season.

We first of all have to catch up a few teams points-wise, "come on the Town" (hic.,) Our current away form mitigates against this, but we''ll see.

Then, if successful, there will be the lottery of the play-offs.

I therefore feel that one eye should be kept on next season when one or two injured players will be ready again, especially Thompson and a few of the promising youngsters might well be ready, especially Godfrey and Toffolo.

For this reason I feel that we should have invested some of the "surplus" money on a couple of lower league recruits who have shown potential.

Angus McDonald (central defender) was supposedly on our radar, and I rate Jordan Hugil as one of a crop of young strikers making a mark.

Signing these two, or the likes, this window would have given the players a chance to acclimatise to the rarefied air that our team currently breath in (hic, hic.) so that they are up and running for next season. It will give Neil more time to finalise his options.

I feel that we missed a trick here.

The two signings we did make have a degree of excitement about them, particularly in their direct running, shooting and their general physicality. These two plus extra funds at hand probably equate to the loss of Brady and Olsson.

As has been said, it depends upon how our new recruits perform.

One thing is for sure, our style of play which has been somewhat stale for much of this season will be re-invigorated by the new faces.

When it comes to brady and Olsson I wish them the best

Brady never kept a solid level of performance and that can''t be denied. He may very well perform better elsewhere and I hope he does as we all know he''s capable of more

[quote user="BroadstairsR"]It''s going to be a difficult ask getting promoted this season.

We first of all have to catch up a few teams points-wise, "come on the Town" (hic.,) Our current away form mitigates against this, but we''ll see.

Then, if successful, there will be the lottery of the play-offs.

I therefore feel that one eye should be kept on next season when one or two injured players will be ready again, especially Thompson and a few of the promising youngsters might well be ready, especially Godfrey and Toffolo.

For this reason I feel that we should have invested some of the "surplus" money on a couple of lower league recruits who have shown potential.

Angus McDonald (central defender) was supposedly on our radar, and I rate Jordan Hugil as one of a crop of young strikers making a mark.

Signing these two, or the likes, this window would have given the players a chance to acclimatise to the rarefied air that our team currently breath in (hic, hic.) so that they are up and running for next season. It will give Neil more time to finalise his options.

I feel that we missed a trick here.

The two signings we did make have a degree of excitement about them, particularly in their direct running, shooting and their general physicality. These two plus extra funds at hand probably equate to the loss of Brady and Olsson.

As has been said, it depends upon how our new recruits perform.

One thing is for sure, our style of play which has been somewhat stale for much of this season will be re-invigorated by the new faces.[/quote]The trouble with that is, its a double edged sword. Say we sign them on a three deal. Say we either get promoted this season or next, do we then end up in the situation we are in now with the likes of Lafferty and Turner? Having players that really aren''t quite good enough, but we can''t get rid of?If we''re going to yo-yo, we have to play the whole transfer / contract game a lot smarter, and I think we got this window about right.

To the posts here that refer to a couple of points..the need to bring in better CB cover..Alex could not have made himself clearer...all thru the window he said new faces would only come in if old faces left first. Olsson left pretty early and Brady was always likely to leave some point thru the month, so that is where Alex got new guys in. In the summer, Turner and Seb and Whitts all have contracts running down, so that is when changes  will happen.2nd point is the likes of Bogle, or other players, from the lower divisions. Once again its simple, no time needs to be taken over discussing such guys, Alex has often stated his mantra, he does not go there. He looks at the top two divisions and / or abroad. not L1 and L2. Be that wise or foolish, thats his way.

"The trouble with that is, its a double edged sword. Say we sign them on a three deal. Say we either get promoted this season or next, do we then end up in the situation we are in now with the likes of Lafferty and Turner? Having players that really aren''t quite good enough, but we can''t get rid of?"

Fair do''s, but nothing about dealing in the transfer market is easy or clear cut.

We would have needed our scouts to be active in these areas and accurate in their assessment. Alex Neil''s judgement would have needed to be sound.

Such recruits would be on less wages than the oldies you mention. If they fail at a higher level then they would be less difficult to sell back to where they came because of this.

If we gain promotion it would''ve been a good window.......If we don''t? It''s a window pane in the a$$.....

Well I just hope that the new recruits are a positive influence on our aim to achieve promotion via the play-offs......Automatic promotion is now a feather in the wind.......

I''ve renewed my season ticket, but I would understand why undecided folk won''t be clamouring to renew on the strength of the departure of B&O and the arrival of their ''replacements''......

[quote user="BroadstairsR"]"The trouble with that is, its a double edged sword. Say we sign them on a three deal. Say we either get promoted this season or next, do we then end up in the situation we are in now with the likes of Lafferty and Turner? Having players that really aren''t quite good enough, but we can''t get rid of?"

Fair do''s, but nothing about dealing in the transfer market is easy or clear cut.

We would have needed our scouts to be active in these areas and accurate in their assessment. Alex Neil''s judgement would have needed to be sound.

Such recruits would be on less wages than the oldies you mention. If they fail at a higher level then they would be less difficult to sell back to where they came because of this.[/quote]On paper, we have enough to get promoted, and when Alex was on about guys having to go before we buy, that wasn''t just about the financial aspect, it was also about the size of the squad.So it was unlikely we would look to increase the size of the squad in this window, and as previously discussed, we''ll look to replace the out of contract players in the summer.No use in stockpiling players for the future right now, as in Canos.

Should have paid Lafferty and Turner off then. They will have little obvious use for the rest of the season.

(Lafferty has been on the bench whilst Dolly has been suspended. A similar situation or injury could then see the youngster given a few minutes.)

Bennett and Bassong are before Turner in the pecking order

They will have to be paid until their contracts ran out in any case.

We might have saved a little with a compromise, after all the players would have had most of their money and would be free agents to seek alternative employment on top of that.

[quote user="BroadstairsR"]Should have paid Lafferty and Turner off then. They will have little obvious use for the rest of the season.

(Lafferty has been on the bench whilst Dolly has been suspended. A similar situation or injury could then see the youngster given a few minutes.)

Bennett and Bassong are before Turner in the pecking order

They will have to be paid until their contracts ran out in any case.

We might have saved a little with a compromise, after all the players would have had most of their money and would be free agents to seek alternative employment on top of that.[/quote]So we should just throw money away then?We can''t have it all roads.

"So we should just throw money away then?"

??

I repeat. They will have to be paid in full until their contracts run out in any case.

They will have little obvious use, for the reasons stated, in any case for the rest of the season.

We might save money, for the reason I have stated.

No one wants/justifies Laffertys wages, and Turner is currently injured, so no one will sign him.

To pay them off they have to agree to it, would you in their position?