Sign in to follow this  
Big O

Just how big must our wage bill be?

Ok, simple maths using public available sources… clearly transfer fees are always a little subjective but go with it for now..

Players Sold

Johnson - £7.5m

Grabban - £7m

Hooper £3m

Vadis - £?

RVw - £?

Redmond - £11m

Ollson £4.5m

Brady £13m

= £47m

Players Bought

Mbokani – season long loan fee (say £2m)

Bamford – Half season long loan (say £1m)

Klose - £8m

Naismith - £8m

Pritchard - £8m

Wildshut - £7m

Godfrey - £1m

Adams - £500k

Jarvis - £2.5m

Canos - £2.5m

= £40.5m

Premiership TV money last year = £66.7m http://www.totalsportek.com/football/premier-league-prize-money-table-2015/

Parachute Payment this year = £40m

Gate Receipts lets base it on

20,000 Adults * £500 = £10m

7,000 Children * £150 = c£1m

So £11m a season - £22m

Catering (a year) £4m https://www.theguardian.com/football/2015/apr/29/premier-league-finances-club-by-club

Commercial and other income (a year) £10m (same source)

So £14m a season = £28m

So £7m net in transfer fees (roughly) + £107m in TV Money + £22m in Gate Receipts + £28m in other revenue = £164m

Assuming break-even post these latest transfers, is our underlying expenditure really £82m a year???

If it is, then we must have a massive wage bill that needs significant actions to address or….there must be some further cash somewhere!

Such a shame the C.G.F.P.A''s (fag packet accountants) went into liquidation.However, your spreadsheet looks remarkably similar to some of their previous efforts so I''m sure you''ll fit in if they ever reform. Now, where''s Tangy when you need him?

"clearly transfer fees are always a little subjective but go with it for now..

"

but I shan''t let that minor detail stop me

To give a sense of the scale of the wage bill I refer to the attached twitter feed - apologies for the lack of clicky.

If, as is alleged, our non appearing 3rd choice striker is pocketing c£40k pw what are the good players getting paid?

https://twitter.com/RichardBalls/status/823231584862085120

Okay Big O - here''s what I suggest.

Get a nice sheet of blank paper - or one of them new fangled spread sheet thingies.

Copy out that list of ''transfers in'' from your fag packet. Then at the bottom add the following:

Ivo Pinto - £2.5 million.

James Maddison - £2.5 million.

Nelson Oliveira - £4.5 million

Graham Dorrans - £2.5 million

Mitchell Dijks - loan fee £300,000??

Then find a blackboard and some chalk and write on it 100 times: "I must do my research before posting on an Internet forum".

Finally - tear up the fag packet and throw it in the bin.

Don''t let them put you off Big OI''ve had a word with Ken Dodd and he''s up for you doing his accounts

Didn''t I read from the accounts at June 2016 that the wages bill was 55% of turnover?

That''s not too bad by all accounts.

This figure will increase this year as the Championship turnover decreases, and wages do not increase proportionately.

I presume this figure is ALL wages and not just the players.

I also seem to remember that for a few seasons ITFC''s wage bill was in excess of 100% of turnover, a factor which helped bring about their mounting debt.

So only about £12m out, can I claim that as a rounding error?

I''ve started my lines

well at least you referred to the envelopes as browna step in the right direction, I suppose

[quote user="BroadstairsR"]Didn''t I read from the accounts at June 2016 that the wages bill was 55% of turnover?

That''s not too bad by all accounts.

This figure will increase this year as the Championship turnover decreases, and wages do not decrease proportionately.*

I presume this figure is ALL wages and not just the players.

I also seem to remember that for a few seasons ITFC''s wage bill was in excess of 100% of turnover, a factor which helped bring about their mounting debt.[/quote]I think that the players took a wage cut due to relegation

* amended as by Broadstairs

Re: Just how big must our wage bill be?

BroadstairsR wrote:

Didn''t I read from the accounts at June 2016 that the wages bill was 55% of turnover? That''s not too bad by all accounts. This figure will increase this year as the Championship turnover decreases, and wages do not decrease proportionately.* I presume this figure is ALL wages and not just the players. I also seem to remember that for a few seasons ITFC''s wage bill was in excess of 100% of turnover, a factor which helped bring about their mounting debt.

"I think that the players took a wage cut due to relegation."

Yes but the "proportionately" is the operative word.

The year before (another Championship season) showed an increase in this %. Somewhere in the 60''s I seem to recall.

Such is the massive drop in income caused by the drop and it is not matched by as bigger drop proportionately in wages.

[quote user="lappinitup"]Such a shame the C.G.F.P.A''s (fag packet accountants) went into liquidation.However, your spreadsheet looks remarkably similar to some of their previous efforts so I''m sure you''ll fit in if they ever reform. Now, where''s Tangy when you need him?[/quote]

You could ask Purple Canary.

Big O,

Godfrey cost an initial £180k with £820k of add ons.

Adams - nowhere near £500k....£50k or under

Pritchard - the £8m includes the add ons

Klose £7.4m

but dont forget we had to pay £90k for Balls UP! Then there was the big rotating screen.

Purple Canary is the man to ask.

It appears that there may not be the same previous relegation clauses, which might explain why we were able to ''hold on'' to most of our PL squad''Key actions taken in the business within the last 12 months include:

-    Ensuring financial position remains strong despite relegation, due

to no debt and relegation clauses in all player contracts''http://www.canaries.co.uk/news/article/2016-17/norwich-city-annual-accounts-2015-2016-3388292.aspx
(see below Ed Balls pic)

[quote user="ricardo"]Who needs Annual Accounts when you''ve got a fag packet?[/quote]Not just any fag packetthese accounts have been drawn up byWills, Woodbines & Weights