Sign in to follow this  
linco2188

Strongest 18

Hi Guys,

Long time reader first time poster (please be gentle).

Have been thinking since the transfer window shut what our stongest 18 is, considering all fit and no suspension. I would probably go with:

Ruddy

Pinto, Martin, Klose, Dijks

Dorrans, Howson

Naismith, Hoolahan, Wildschut

Oliveira

Subs:

McGovern, Bassong, Bennett, Tettey, Jacob Murphy, Pritchard, Jerome.

Tough on Jacob I know.

Welcome :-)

That looks about right, shows what little strength in depth we have really, especially in defence and DM.

Wildschut needs to win his spurs against Jacob M, who has done very well this season.

A bit too much of an unknown to be included in our strongest team ( eighteen may be.)

Wigan fans, almost to a man if their forums are to go by, think that they have taken us to the cleaners with this player @ £7m.

They should know.

It concerns me.

[quote user="BroadstairsR"]Wildschut needs to win his spurs against Jacob M, who has done very well this season.

A bit too much of an unknown to be included in our strongest team ( eighteen may be.)

Wigan fans, almost to a man if their forums are to go by, think that they have taken us to the cleaners with this player @ £7m.

They should know.

It concerns me.[/quote]Haven''t our own fans done similar when players have departed though?I wouldn''t pay their opinion much heed.

welcome linco.

No issues with the back 5 for me0

For me the dorrans howson combo lacks enough defensive mobility & strength against the better sides - it is an either or for me depending on form, dorrans uses the ball better, howson far more mobile but slightly more erratic on week to week contribution. Of Tettey, mukumbu or thompson I am probably erring to youth as the other 2 have been poor this season, albeit with the occassional man of the match game (well mulumbu had one)

Not sure I would use naismith on the right, probably can but would lose something; Jacob does worry defenders but needs a rest only right now.

As for the no 10 role, I think probably wes at home and Naimsith away. Assuming Wildschut does come straight in on the left.

So if all fit my starting XI would be as below, but changeable on form, home, away and style effectiveness of opponents.

Ruddy

Pinto Martin Klose Van Dijks

Thompson

Jacob Howson Wes Wildschutt

Oliveira

Welcome Lincoln, and good luck.

I''d suggest of nutty Nigel''s recent thread, of ''have u always supported ncfc'' to introduce some of the posters on here. A cracking thread.

Enjoy the ride, it can get bumpy.

"Haven''t our own fans done similar when players have departed though?

I wouldn''t pay their opinion much heed."

I didn''t suggest he was a bad signing. In fact I am happy about it.

I was referring to the fee.

Wigan fans, for the most part regretted his loss, but were aghast and delighted at the money he fetched.

Repeat. This concerns me.

At that cost we have a right to expect a bit special on a consistent basis. Let''s hope that he is.

[quote user="ZLF"]welcome linco.

No issues with the back 5 for me0

For me the dorrans howson combo lacks enough defensive mobility & strength against the better sides - it is an either or for me depending on form, dorrans uses the ball better, howson far more mobile but slightly more erratic on week to week contribution. Of Tettey, mukumbu or thompson I am probably erring to youth as the other 2 have been poor this season, albeit with the occassional man of the match game (well mulumbu had one)

Not sure I would use naismith on the right, probably can but would lose something; Jacob does worry defenders but needs a rest only right now.

As for the no 10 role, I think probably wes at home and Naimsith away. Assuming Wildschut does come straight in on the left.

So if all fit my starting XI would be as below, but changeable on form, home, away and style effectiveness of opponents.

Ruddy

Pinto Martin Klose Van Dijks

Thompson

Jacob Howson Wes Wildschutt

Oliveira[/quote]Its a real shame about Thompson being out for the season, I really think he could have nailed down a regular starting place.

[quote user="BroadstairsR"]"Haven''t our own fans done similar when players have departed though?

I wouldn''t pay their opinion much heed."

I didn''t suggest he was a bad signing. In fact I am happy about it.

I was referring to the fee.

Wigan fans, for the most part regretted his loss, but were aghast and delighted at the money he fetched.

Repeat. This concerns me.

At that cost we have a right to expect a bit special on a consistent basis. Let''s hope that he is.[/quote]The price is the price though, yeah we probably slightly overpaid, but thats what happens in January transfer windows.I don''t think it is necessarily a good thing to link the price to expectation, look at all the hoo-ha around Ricky, which some people directly linked to the price we paid for him.

"Look at all the hoo-ha around Ricky, which some people directly linked to the price we paid for him."

We all did.

It''s not abnormal to link the cost of a player with expectation from that player.

It''s called the market place.

The more you pay the better you expect to get.

There are exceptions eg. Holty, but, by and large the disappointments are the players, like RVW, who fail to give value for money. The cheapies who come good are a bonus.

I suspect Wildschut will be a good buy, but at that price he needs to be.

I do like Thompson and think he will be a massive hit here, I was gutted to hear of his injury. I went for Dorrans as for me the best midfield performance I have seen this season (Forest away) had these two, although I would agree we may lack some steel and defensive capability. As far as Jacob is concerned I just couldn''t leave Wes and Naismith out after the last month (Rotherham aside) and as much as I think Jacob has had a great season I think a natural left sided winger with a bit more league experience would be a better fit. Tough choices though and I for one am quietly confident of a good top 6 finish with this squad.

Wildschut is just back from injury having only played 20/30 mins of the fa cup tie.

I also don''t believe he will play against Wigan next week.

Therefore I think he won''t make the team for Cardiff, & don''t think we see him until Forest on the 11th, which interestingly will be McCormacks debut for them.

I think we will be unchanged at Cardiff with the exception of Dijks in for Brady, could also see Wildschut on the bench for a 15/20 minute cameo when we are hopefully a couple of goals ahead. Do you think there is a gentleman''s agreement in the deal greavsy so he doesn''t play Tuesday? I was hoping I would be celebrating his winning goal against them, gonna be cold evening that one!

[quote user="linco2188"]I think we will be unchanged at Cardiff with the exception of Dijks in for Brady, could also see Wildschut on the bench for a 15/20 minute cameo when we are hopefully a couple of goals ahead. Do you think there is a gentleman''s agreement in the deal greavsy so he doesn''t play Tuesday? I was hoping I would be celebrating his winning goal against them, gonna be cold evening that one![/quote]Agree re Cardiff, but Naismith being out could change the whole dynamic. Also, in the past, Alex has preferred not to use Wes too much away from home, so am really struggling to see what he''ll do here.Also Warnock prefers a 4-4-2, so I do wonder if we''ll try to match that?

@ Linco

I have absolutely no insider knowledge at all, but wouldn''t be surprised if the is a gents agreement.

It can''t be a bad thing when you can make this second line-up good enough out of unused/back-up players - basically good enough for a mid-table champ side;

McGovern

Martin Turner Bassong Whittaker

Thompson Mulumbu

Murphy Pritchard Jarvis

Lafferty

You say that, but a couple of seasons ago that''s not far off what was our regular back 4!

[quote user="morty"][quote user="linco2188"]I think we will be unchanged at Cardiff with the exception of Dijks in for Brady, could also see Wildschut on the bench for a 15/20 minute cameo when we are hopefully a couple of goals ahead. Do you think there is a gentleman''s agreement in the deal greavsy so he doesn''t play Tuesday? I was hoping I would be celebrating his winning goal against them, gonna be cold evening that one![/quote]Agree re Cardiff, but Naismith being out could change the whole dynamic. Also, in the past, Alex has preferred not to use Wes too much away from home, so am really struggling to see what he''ll do here.Also Warnock prefers a 4-4-2, so I do wonder if we''ll try to match that?[/quote]

Hadnt seen the news about Naismith before I wrote this Morty, you could well be right with a 4-4-2 being the way to go, Wes on the left and Nelson and Cam Jam upto prehaps?

[quote user="linco2188"][quote user="morty"][quote user="linco2188"]I think we will be unchanged at Cardiff with the exception of Dijks in for Brady, could also see Wildschut on the bench for a 15/20 minute cameo when we are hopefully a couple of goals ahead. Do you think there is a gentleman''s agreement in the deal greavsy so he doesn''t play Tuesday? I was hoping I would be celebrating his winning goal against them, gonna be cold evening that one![/quote]Agree re Cardiff, but Naismith being out could change the whole dynamic. Also, in the past, Alex has preferred not to use Wes too much away from home, so am really struggling to see what he''ll do here.Also Warnock prefers a 4-4-2, so I do wonder if we''ll try to match that?[/quote]

Hadnt seen the news about Naismith before I wrote this Morty, you could well be right with a 4-4-2 being the way to go, Wes on the left and Nelson and Cam Jam upto prehaps?[/quote]Not Wes on the left for me!I think if he was to go 4-4-2 you would see Wildschut start on the left.Imagine that, two strikers and a pacy winger, what a time to be alive!

[quote user="morty"][quote user="linco2188"][quote user="morty"][quote user="linco2188"]I think we will be unchanged at Cardiff with the exception of Dijks in for Brady, could also see Wildschut on the bench for a 15/20 minute cameo when we are hopefully a couple of goals ahead. Do you think there is a gentleman''s agreement in the deal greavsy so he doesn''t play Tuesday? I was hoping I would be celebrating his winning goal against them, gonna be cold evening that one![/quote]Agree re Cardiff, but Naismith being out could change the whole dynamic. Also, in the past, Alex has preferred not to use Wes too much away from home, so am really struggling to see what he''ll do here.Also Warnock prefers a 4-4-2, so I do wonder if we''ll try to match that?[/quote]

Hadnt seen the news about Naismith before I wrote this Morty, you could well be right with a 4-4-2 being the way to go, Wes on the left and Nelson and Cam Jam upto prehaps?[/quote]Not Wes on the left for me!I think if he was to go 4-4-2 you would see Wildschut start on the left.Imagine that, two strikers and a pacy winger, what a time to be alive![/quote]

I wouldnt go Wes on the left either, was thinking as Alex Neil would. Not just one pacey winger but two with Jacob and 2 striker plus 2 attacking full backs! Exciting times!