Sign in to follow this  
Mook

"Only" Hull

This "it was only Hull" business is winding me up something chronic.

Chelsea "only" beat Wigan 1-0 with a goal in the dying seconds, but if they win the title who gives a monkeys?

I seem to remember us drawing 4-4 with 10 man rotherham, losing to Forest (now in league 1) and drawing (losing?) against Bradford in our title winning season.

If you want to slate Worthy, by all means do it, but at least base it on facts.

Don''t do it because we won a match unconvincingly, otherwise every single manager in the country would need to be sacked!!

PS - I told you Doc would come good with a run in the team, but you wouldn''t listen would ya?!

Agreed Mook. I posted much the same thing on another thread, but I would say you worded it better.  When did some of our fans turn into elitist snobs? Did they start supporting the club at the start of last season, when we were in the Prem? 

We don''t have a divine right to win games at this level, listen to the experts, it is a very difficult league to get out of, and any team seems capable of  beating any other.  The sooner we realise this, the better.

[quote]This "it was only Hull" business is winding me up something chronic. Chelsea "only" beat Wigan 1-0 with a goal in the dying seconds, but if they win the title who gives a monkeys? I seem to remember...[/quote]

Well Mook we were playing Hull last night and we beat them.  That''s all we can do.  We didn''t dominate for 90 minutes, who does? 

I''m all in favour of some constructive analysis of tactics etc but some of the things picked up on this week are just petty.

As for the Doc I have been pleading his case for months and have started several threads giving my reasons as to why I felt he should be given a chance in the team.  I''m glad to see he is doing well so far.

I remember someone telling me he was the "worst player at the club - fact".  Not quite looking that way now is it?

You know what really bugs me about this whole Worthy in/out debate?

It''s the fatuous remarks being made with no justification to back them up.   Yes it was "ONLY" Hull and yes we beat them, but who was the star of the show - Mr Safri, a man who was the forgotten man last season.   Who refused to play him last season?   Why our esteemed manager of course.   My gripe about the whole Worthington affair is that he is not a good enough manager to take us to where we want to go - the Premiership.   Sure it''s great fun being down here in the Championship and no, we don''t have any god-given right to be automatically promoted, the nature of the prize for promotion makes it one of the most competitive leagues in the world.

I though believe that City have the squad and the ability to return to the Premiership and in order to do so we need to win more games and get more points.   It''s all very well beating the likes of Hull, but we need to be doing it week in and week out.   Only when we''re at the head of that table with a sound defensive record with a team that performs for 90 mins will I be happy.   Not asking for much am I?!   In the meantime I continue to support City with every breath (just put that in so that I''m not accused of being a moaning get who doesn''t support City).   Managers and players come and go but the badge remains the same.   On the ball City...

Well it was only Hull who hardly managed an attack the entire second half, there will be sterner tests to come lets see if we can respond accordingly.  Everything is suddenly rosy after an unconvincing win over one of the Divisions lesser lights.  Only the third win of an unconvincing season.  Defeats in either of the next 2 games will commence the clamour.

Congratulations, Plastic Scouser (and Peter Gates) for the reality check. We''ve won three games out of eleven this season - two against very poor opposition and the other against 10-man Ipswich. With the squad that we''ve got, that isn''t exactly breathtaking form!

It looked more like a thoroughly convincing win over a team that played some neat football but found our defence to good to break down in the second half. A game we were always in control of and never looked like losing even when we were 1-0 down. We also were far better than Reading on Saturday until we hit the 18 yard line and then we didn''t have a clue but we still deserved at least a draw from the game. We have now won 3 out of the last 4 league games so we are moving in the right direction and still only four points off a play-off place.

Hey Link, Scouser - don''t get me wrong. I am thouroughly peed off with Mr Worthington''s actual faults. Especially with regards to last season.

We sat and watched a team containing Flem, Edworthy and Holt when we could have had Helveg, Doherty and Safri.

I also know that one (or two) swallows does not a summer make, so these wins mean nothing taken out of context.

But I also know that winning is a damn sight harder than losing all the time, and we should be pleased with that. This is why the "it''s only Hull" comments are meaningless. We won, and we played well, and yes we didn''t dominate 90 mins but when do we?

Let''s just look at the real issues, when they rear their ugly head again.

Yes I''m afraid it was "only Hull" a team that is well marshalled and played good solid defensive tactics in the second half but didn''t put another decent attempt on goal after 90 seconds.

They were without their three best players and in Green had someone unable to pass to a teammate and stay on his feet.

Their fans are distraught on their web sites (try Amber Nectar) over the way things are going and they were amazed that they beat Coventry.

They are a team that changed their formation to a more defensive one when losing 2-1 and hoped to sneak an equaliser or failing that maintain a 1 goal deficit so that they stayed ahead of us on goal difference.

The fact remains that on current form that match was a 6 pointer as both teams will be fighting over which division they play in next season, and guess what? - it isn''t the promotion battle we''re in.

So all you newer supporters wake up this is a season like the last time we came down from the Premiership and if things don''t change substantially soon it will end in tears - mine!

[quote]You know what really bugs me about this whole Worthy in/out debate? It''s the fatuous remarks being made with no justification to back them up. Yes it was "ONLY" Hull and yes we beat them, but wh...[/quote]

You need to try and enjoy yourself more then PS, you''ll spend most (if not all) of your supporting life without city at the head of the table, a sound defensive record or a team that performs for 90 mins week in week out. In fact it is asking too much, it''s utterly unrealistic. We can however, win enough games to be promoted this season, play some great football at times (and some shocking rubbish). If we go up, we''ll struggle again and would do whoever is at the helm. It''s the way it is. We won last night, perhaps you''ve all forgotten that''s mean''t to be enjoyable. As for us being in the same position as when we went down last time...well, we were top of the table until.......wait for it......we changed manager. How ironic that you should remind us of the consequences of changing manager half way through a season!! 

Realists, ChunkyCanary? More like fatalists!

Peter Gates - Hull didn''t mount an attack in the second half because they felt obliged to keep 10 men behind the ball to keep the score down. Surely that shows how dominant we were (albeit without breaking down that defence I grant you).

LinkNR9 - We all know what a bad start we''ve had. The fact remains that none of the relegated three have started well - this division does require a BIG adjustment. We''ve also suffered more through injuries in the early part of the season. It has only been in the last 4/5 games that we''ve kept a settled side and, guess what, the performances are picking up.

Ashton''s out for Brighton, let''s hope we continue scoring from other areas!

Their fans also said that we were the best team they had seen this season. Sheff Utd were 2-0 up at half time against Derby and only ended up hanging on for a 2-1 win,they were also 2-0 up after 45 minutes last night and failed to add more goals. They are the best team on current form but even they aren''t performing for the whole game but it doesn''t matter as long as the game is won. Imo we were good throughout last nights game, excellent in all areas in the first half and a good solid performance in the second not really giving them any encouragement to get back in to the game.

You must be a right bundle of laughs mate!  I guess you were hoping for a negative result agaist Hull so you could fan the worthington out flames a little more?

You are so far off the mark with you negative prediction, I really dont know why Im even rising to your bait, how can you call yourself a supporter & write sh*t like that,

Im just as disappointed with the way we have started as the next man, but when you look at the positives there is no way we will be anywhere near a religation battle.

I will be very surprised if we are not in the top 6 at Christmas, Players are now starting to jell & play with a little more confidence. the centre backs look very solid, Colin is improving each game & this has given Drury confidence, add Green to these & it gives a back five most clubs in this division would love to have, Safri, Hughes are improving all the time & in Ashton McViegh Huckerby & Marney we have potential matchwinners.   

Dont get me wrong I think their is an awful lot more still to put right but take out the first 45min @ watford & deano pen miss last sat & we would be in the middle of a good little run,