Sign in to follow this  
nutty nigel

Have you always supported the Canaries?

[quote user="Thecanaryfan"]I just don''t get why any true Norwich fan would launch such a thread. What is its purpose?[/quote]
The purpose was in the op and on a later post. I don''t like the true fan label being thrown around. Read the thread and choose one to bestow it on. You''d be hard pressed buddy....

West Ham were the first team I became aware of having seen them on the telly in about 1990.

Went to Carrow road in October 1991 for a game against West Ham funnily enough!

<----------- that bloke there scored twice as we won 2 1 and i stuck with it ever since!

Had a season ticket for over 20 years and missed just 3 home games in that time. Had to give it up to afford houee repayments. Get to games when I can.

Agree this is a great thread. Just to add to what I wrote earlier and is a bit more relevant to the op - my dad moved to Norwich in 1955 from Reading - a Royals supporter, but went to see Norwich in the late fifties and got hooked. I know he always looked for Reading results, but he - as with a lot of others it seems - having started a new life in Norfolk, embraced NCFC as his number one club.

Born within spitting distance of Carrow Road (Stracey Road,) bred Norwich (outer Hellesdon.)

Father an absolute fanatic. Therefore stood no chance.

About 7 took me to reserve games (remember those?) first because he considered them a safer bet for a youngster.

First game therefore Tottenham Reserves. Spurs have been my second side ever since.

Later remember being regularly carried over the heads of the crowd to a place at the front.

First away game was the notorious ( and freezing cold) game at Portman Road when there was a scuffle on the pitch at half-time as some city fans were trying to stop the binners sanding the goal mouth that 1p5wich were to defend. The City defence had been slipping and sliding all over the place in the first half and it had cost us. Very emotive.

There was heavy drinking on the coach on the way there. Is that allowed now?

I''m pretty sure players are not allowed to drink on the matchday coach.

I might have read it, but I can''t find it on the official website.

Ah, Reserve games! I only lived in Thorpe, so I could walk to the games.

I do remember (why, I have no idea), vs Swindon ressies (won 1-0) Kevin Bond, hurtling down the wing, and putting a cross against the Barclay roof.

Use to collect programmes, and the Reserve ones, were sought after, (yep, don''t know the answer to that one either), as they were only 4 page paper ones, or in some cases, just a sheet.

I also vaguely remember getting something over the tannoy, at half time, updating the First team score.

No, I was a ''die hard'' Man Utd fan until about 9 years old as they were the team of the mid to late 90s

Then one day, my dad (parents had divorced) told me he had brought us both a half-season ticket for Norwich (he had been to a game with a friend, saw it advertised in a program) as something for us to do at weekends. 17 years later, we still have the same season tickets...

Yes, my father is a West-Londoner , who supports Brentford , but my grandparents lived in Norwich when I was born and they took me to the Carra in 1987! Always been a City fan!

So many great memories on this thread - thanks everyone.

My story begins in the early 70''s. My father was a the head gateman at Carrow Road in charge of all the men who operated the turnstiles and (in those days) took the money on the gates. My brother and I used to tag along with him, so we were always there at 12.00 and used to watch the players and the directors arrive. When we first got to be in the First Division, we saw all the players arrive, including the all conquering Liverpool team with Toshack, Keegan, Clemence etc. In my teens I worked in the Boardroom and player''s tunnel and got most of the players autographs - Grobelaar signed one programme for me and drew glasses and a moustache on Dalglish''s picture!

But through it all, its always been about watching the match, supporting the club I love, feeling the buzz of an important game and now I''m beginning to hand over that obsession and enjoyment to my 7 year old. On The Ball City!

Born in NR28 and raised close by. First game early 80''s.

Now consigned to the Central Belt of Scotland and have had the pleasure of seeing City play at Celtic, Queens Park (at Hampden), St Mirren (Love Street - now demolished), Raith Rovers, Falkirk, Motherwell, Livingston, Airdrie (I think - Goran Maric on trial) and Dunfermline.

My last City game was the infamous Preston away debacle (San Miquel et al) from a couple of years ago.

I have a season ticket for one of the smaller teams up here to get the match day football fix, but invariably spend most of the time checking the phone for updates.

Apples

[quote user="Faded Jaded Semi Plastic SOB"]TCCanary - Weirdly that was the first game I went to at Carrow Rd, my Dad took me, I remember my Dad carrying me on his shoulders along Carrow Rd after the game and being amazed by the number of people. I believe the late, great Jeff Astle played in that game. I have Googled this, and it appears the game was just before my eighth birthday in 1970, the English League Representative side won 5-0......[/quote]

We only need to contact the other 20,741ish (sadly some may have died) and we could arrange a hell of a renuion. [:)]

@ Nutty: "I took Duncan for the first time when he was five..."

hmm, would he happen to be named after a City legend? The timing seems right!

Born and bread in Norfolk. My dad took me to a game mid 90s Oldham at home in the old south stand. I at the time as most young kids of my age did loved Man United an in particular David Beckham, I took my jumper off to revile a Man United shirt and the amount of looks I was shot, my god! Ever since that date I ditched my love of any other team and now bleed yellow and green. Am now 28 and have a home season ticket and attend 90% of all away games, wouldn''t change it for the world!

I''m from the Suffolk/Norfolk border but my family came from London. Grandfather was a Spurs fan but loved football so much that when they moved down here he had season tickets at both Carrow and Portman Road.

Parents actually were more Ipswich fans and my first ever live game was at Portman Road- a dull as ditchwater game between Ipswich and Villa only enlivened by a last minute comedy own goal from an Ipswich defender. My second game was Norwich v Barnsley, can''t remember the year, which was 1-1 and much more exciting- I remember a penalty, a disallowed goal, all going on. From then on I sided with Norwich in the Norfolk/Suffolk divide. Got my first season ticket in 2001 and never looked back.

I never supported another team but I believe the kids for a quid and cheap children season tickets were what sucked me in. I remember my first season ticket being about £40 which was incredible value.

Spent my formative years in the Fine City so inevitably was a Nozza fan. The first game I can remember was Norwich 4-5 Southampton, but I''m not sure if that was my actual first one as I would have been 9 by then. I was obviously gutted we lost but I cannot remember a better match I''ve seen live, looking at the goalscorers now sends a shiver through my spine. I think I might even have got in for a quid that day, but could be misremembering. Happy days.

[quote user="Herman"]Yep. Not from Norwich and only have a tenuous link to Norfolk, but chose City when I was a kid. Trying to be different to all the other kids at school. Stuck with City through thick, thin and very thin.[/quote]

You and me both Herman. Born and raised in Cumbria so as a kid in the 80s "supported" liverpool, like everyone else. Going to secondary school coincided with the start of the premiership, decided to properly support Norwich to be different and they seemed to play the right way and stubbornness developed into love... Having been to a fair few Carlisle games as a kid (and since, as family still up there) also support them but surprised myself when we were in league one and I was actually cheering the canaries on over the Cumbrians... Have never lived remotely close to Norwich bit still feel a love for the place through NCFC...

Sorry for being a plastic.

Born in Ely in 69, as an impressionable kid was a Liverpool fan but fell out of love with the game completely during my teenage years. First ever game though was at the Carra for a Liverpool game - when I got interested in football again aged 16 chose Norwich - have never looked back since, and was the only City fan in a bar full of Bayern shirt wearing Scotsman in Peterhead on that night.......and lucky enough to be the only yellow and green shirt in a bar in Cagliari the night we played in Milan.

Born in Essex 1978 and moved to Norwich when was young, Dad had got me a Spurs kit but at such a young age wasn''t that interested. Dad was a d**k and started supporting Norwich and was first game i ever went to, also as a young lad used to sell the canary lottery tickets wearing the yellow jumpers and yellow hat with a radio in it and got tickets to every home game as part of the job.

Did 2 tours of Honnington was never lucky enough to be at Colt (Morty) and now in the midlands.

[quote user="tricky974"]Born in Essex 1978 and moved to Norwich when was young, Dad had got me a Spurs kit but at such a young age wasn''t that interested. Dad was a d**k and started supporting Norwich and was first game i ever went to, also as a young lad used to sell the canary lottery tickets wearing the yellow jumpers and yellow hat with a radio in it and got tickets to every home game as part of the job.

Did 2 tours of Honnington was never lucky enough to be at Colt (Morty) and now in the midlands.[/quote]I used the rehab centre at Honnington for a few months, which was excellent, but way too many rock apes there, for my liking[;)]

To answer your question directly Nutty - Norwich takes first place in my heart. No question, no doubt.

I am an East End lad born into a West Ham supporting family. My father used to take me to West Ham and I also went with friends but it never did anything for me. I was though into amateur football and used to follow Ilford (now defunct) home and away for much of my teams. So that was my first team.

In 1969 I moved to Norwich to study at UEA. In October 1970 I went to my first game at Carrow Road. Basically just to get to a game at Carrow Road while I was in Norwich. Little did I know what effect it was going to have. That was it, green and yellow blood from that day on! Previous allegiances expunged.

Been an exile since 1972 which over the years has limited opportunities to get to games. However retirement a few years back has given me the opportunity to get to most home games plus a few away games. Love going to Carrow Road and love visiting the Fine City.

Born in Shrewsbury, moved into The Lord Mancroft pub in Thorpe 1976 when my parents where in the pub trade. Back to Shrewsbury 1982, NCFC first STFC second!

Good to read this thread. Born in Swansea and grew up being a rugby man.

Moved to the valleys and in 1972 my neighbour took me to my first ever football match, when I was 14, which strangely was Cardiff City v Norwich City at Ninian Park, maybe a foretaste of things to come. No score draw as I recall not grabbed by footy and went back to watching Arthur Lewis play rugby for Ebbw Vale.

Moved to Norfolk around 1989, Norwich a family club and all that so we went, myself my wife and my two boys. We sat in the old South stand and loved it. 4 season tickets followed and we were featured on the front page of a pink paper that City used to produce for fans at that time, I think the club used us an as example to demonstrate their family focus.

Have been season ticket holders ever since, one boy had a few years in the academy which was fantastic for getting inside info, Neil Adams was his coach at one point.

Anyway we are here to stay, OTBC,

Born into a footballing family in Bury St Edmunds, Dad was an ITFC fan, and also a ref.

In 1972 , after our promotion , City played a friendly against St Mirren at Carrow road, and my Dad''s mate - Tommy Dawes- was the ref. He took me to the game (aged 6) and the rest is history.

I grew up during a period when the binners were quite good (hard to believe I know) so I had a proper grounding in hating them. I can still see my Old Man returning from Wembley when they won the Cup in his stupid blue hat.

I played a few years later in a testimonial and tried all night to kick Kevin Beatie. I couldn''t get near him even though he was rat @rsed before the match. But that''s another story.

[quote user="Sussexyellow"]To answer your question directly Nutty - Norwich takes first place in my heart. No question, no doubt.

I am an East End lad born into a West Ham supporting family. My father used to take me to West Ham and I also went with friends but it never did anything for me. I was though into amateur football and used to follow Ilford (now defunct) home and away for much of my teams. So that was my first team.

In 1969 I moved to Norwich to study at UEA. In October 1970 I went to my first game at Carrow Road. Basically just to get to a game at Carrow Road while I was in Norwich. Little did I know what effect it was going to have. That was it, green and yellow blood from that day on! Previous allegiances expunged.

Been an exile since 1972 which over the years has limited opportunities to get to games. However retirement a few years back has given me the opportunity to get to most home games plus a few away games. Love going to Carrow Road and love visiting the Fine City.[/quote]
This I think is quite unique for our club. We know our club takes first place with the exiles but it does seem that with a few exceptions that we get the best of both worlds. Which is amazing.

[quote user="Woodman"]@ Nutty: "I took Duncan for the first time when he was five..."

hmm, would he happen to be named after a City legend? The timing seems right![/quote]
You got it Woodman. Although mischief makers have in the past suggested I was a Man Utd fan. When Duncan was a cute little baby if we ran into Big Dunc he''d call him Little Dunc. He nearly wasn''t Dunc at all though. My first suggestion was Martin Peter but Mrs Nutty wouldn''t have any of that.

I moved around a lot as a kid and chose QPR as my team. My grandad played for them in the 30''s. When my lad was born we lived in Norfolk. At 4 or 5 years old he wanted to support Man Utd because his uncle did. I told him he was born in Norwich so should support Norwich I bought him his first kit that year and I''ve bought him a shirt every year since for his birthday in July. (I still have every one - including one with Ward on the back bought about 2 weeks before we sold him!) We got season tickets the following year. He''s now 30 and still a season ticket holder.

First remember Norwich being my team in 1971 at the age of 5. My next door neighbour was a 10 year old who supported Liverpool. He took me to play football with his mates and educated me on all things football, the teams, players and how to make the league table. Whilst playing with my toy footballers my father asked who I supported. I said Liverpool. He replied no you don''t, you''re from Norwich.

My first visit to Carrow Road was as a ball boy in 1976 v Middlesbrough. I had the South Stand to Barclay. Tracksuits were way too big and we were beaten one nil.

Playing and watching football has pretty much dominated my life. Army service moved me around a bit, but I got the old pinkun paper sent to me each week and got to as many games as possible. Loved coming back to the city and getting my first season tickets in 2003. Can''t see me ever giving them up until it''s physically impossible to get there.

I think that anyone has the right to consider themselves a true fan but without doubt I reckon there is a natural ranking system for how valid their opinion or knowledge is. For example points are lost/gained for how much football the fan has played, the level to which they played, the position in which they played, their attitude when they played. The length of time they have been a fan, the era in which they became a fan, away games attended, the era away games were attended, did you even have some kind of love and affection for the hooligan period. Which part of the ground they support from. The Barclay is numero uno, but respect for being a Barclay boy is only counted if it was during the standing days when it also housed the away fans. Fans who have changed their teams or picked their teams later are very unlikely to understand why they can never be in a position to call the club their club. It just doesn''t work. They can be a good fan, accepted by the club and other fans alike but they can never truly claim to be one of them. No different to someone emigrating to Spain from England and claiming to be Spanish. It just does not work. Even if you were to change your nationality it still really does not work.

You would not be Spanish in my eyes. My subconscious natural scoring system will have many other bias rankings but let''s keep it simple.