Sign in to follow this  
nutty nigel

Have you always supported the Canaries?

Born in Lincoln, 1972. Did watch the imps a few times in the old fourth division...but wasn''t really into the long ball aerial bombardment they played at the time. A college mate of mine was originally from the fine city so we took in turns driving down to matches when we could. It was a time when the FA Cup meant something. Most memoral for me in the 90s was being in the Barclay for extra time when we beat Southampton in a quarter final. Got tickets to the semi where we lost 1-0 to Sunderland after Flecky had been in the oxygen tent in order to play after his injury. Felt gutted after that. So never lived in Norwich. Mostly go to away games these days as I live in Yorkshire.

Born in Sheffield and watched the Owls as a boy often championship or league 1 in those days. Moved to Norwich in 1978 and started watching the canaries, started taking my young children in the early 1990s and season tickets followed soon afterwards, watched them regularly since 1993/94 though still have soft spot for Owls and Carlisle where my wife comes from

Born in 57. Moved down to Norwich from Yorkshire T the age of 8. Started going to Carra in my late teens and have been a regular ever since. Season ticket holder for around 30 years and go to all home games and a couple of away each season. Have managed to pass the passion on to my son who still sits with me in the River End. Failed miserably with my daughter who has no interest at all

I was born in Cromer, grew up in Norwich and spent a few years moving around in my early adult life trying to avoid national service (I have a fear of loud bangs). I returned to Britain in the mid 1960s and settled in London.I have been a Norwich City supporter since moving back to Norwich in the late 1980s.

Been out all afternoon and I''m enjoying catching up on this thread. I already know many of the stories and obviously I know a lot of the exiles personally so knew they bleed yellow and green. But what I wasn''t sure about was how it was for those who left their first club to live in Norwich. It seems that they become Norwich fans first just like the exiles do. It''s very unusual in life to get the best of both worlds but in this respect it seems our club does just that. So we really are unique and quite probably the best fans in the world.

I''ve loved supporting Norwich throughout what will be 50 years next month. But I would say to Fromage that we have a fan on the board who''s got over ten years on me.

Born in Brandon, but my parents moved to the Midlands when I was 15.

My first game was in 1951, I used to travel to the fine City on train with a couple of school pals.

I remember getting off the at Norwich, walking over the road to a small cabin and buying a pack of 5 Woodbines each, which often made us sick! Happy days.

Nowadays its a 3 1/2 hour road trip each way with 2 of my grandsons who I managed to keep away from the Midlnds teams around us. Never been any question who I would support, (or the Grandsons)

Knock off Nige....

Our kids could be a whole new thread. I''m really proud that both my son and daughter have always been Norwich. And now the grandkids too. Three generations of us at Wembley in 2015 makes that my favourite trip of all time.

[quote user="nutty nigel"]Been out all afternoon and I''m enjoying catching up on this thread. I already know many of the stories and obviously I know a lot of the exiles personally so knew they bleed yellow and green. But what I wasn''t sure about was how it was for those who left their first club to live in Norwich. It seems that they become Norwich fans first just like the exiles do. It''s very unusual in life to get the best of both worlds but in this respect it seems our club does just that. So we really are unique and quite probably the best fans in the world.

I''ve loved supporting Norwich throughout what will be 50 years next month. But I would say to Fromage that we have a fan on the board who''s got over ten years on me.[/quote]This is a good thread Nutty. ( By the way I''ve been going a week longer than you so I guess I must be a better supporter [;)] )Interesting point you make about people moving to Norfolk from elsewhere becoming fully fledged Norwich fans. However lovely NCFC is, and it isn''t anywhere near as bad as some of us make out on here, I couldn''t do that. For instance if I''d been born in Liverpool and supported a team from that city, even Tranmere, they would be my first love, Sure I''d probably go to Carrow Rd now and again but it wouldn''t hold same interest to me unless my team provided the opposition.Each to their own but if you support the team where you were born that''s lifelong and outsiders I think can never feel quite the same intensity.

[quote user="......and Smith must score."][quote user="nutty nigel"]Been out all afternoon and I''m enjoying catching up on this thread. I already know many of the stories and obviously I know a lot of the exiles personally so knew they bleed yellow and green. But what I wasn''t sure about was how it was for those who left their first club to live in Norwich. It seems that they become Norwich fans first just like the exiles do. It''s very unusual in life to get the best of both worlds but in this respect it seems our club does just that. So we really are unique and quite probably the best fans in the world.

I''ve loved supporting Norwich throughout what will be 50 years next month. But I would say to Fromage that we have a fan on the board who''s got over ten years on me.[/quote]This is a good thread Nutty. ( By the way I''ve been going a week longer than you so I guess I must be a better supporter [;)] )Interesting point you make about people moving to Norfolk from elsewhere becoming fully fledged Norwich fans. However lovely NCFC is, and it isn''t anywhere near as bad as some of us make out on here, I couldn''t do that. For instance if I''d been born in Liverpool and supported a team from that city, even Tranmere, they would be my first love, Sure I''d probably go to Carrow Rd now and again but it wouldn''t hold same interest to me unless my team provided the opposition.Each to their own but if you support the team where you were born that''s lifelong and outsiders I think can never feel quite the same intensity.[/quote]Unsurprisingly, I disagree[;)]

[quote user="morty"][quote user="......and Smith must score."][quote user="nutty nigel"]Been out all afternoon and I''m enjoying catching up on this thread. I already know many of the stories and obviously I know a lot of the exiles personally so knew they bleed yellow and green. But what I wasn''t sure about was how it was for those who left their first club to live in Norwich. It seems that they become Norwich fans first just like the exiles do. It''s very unusual in life to get the best of both worlds but in this respect it seems our club does just that. So we really are unique and quite probably the best fans in the world.

I''ve loved supporting Norwich throughout what will be 50 years next month. But I would say to Fromage that we have a fan on the board who''s got over ten years on me.[/quote]This is a good thread Nutty. ( By the way I''ve been going a week longer than you so I guess I must be a better supporter [;)] )Interesting point you make about people moving to Norfolk from elsewhere becoming fully fledged Norwich fans. However lovely NCFC is, and it isn''t anywhere near as bad as some of us make out on here, I couldn''t do that. For instance if I''d been born in Liverpool and supported a team from that city, even Tranmere, they would be my first love, Sure I''d probably go to Carrow Rd now and again but it wouldn''t hold same interest to me unless my team provided the opposition.Each to their own but if you support the team where you were born that''s lifelong and outsiders I think can never feel quite the same intensity.[/quote]Unsurprisingly, I disagree[;)][/quote]Who could have seen that coming ? [:D]

First game aged five with a wooden box to get knocked off and never looked back. I went to every home game I could as a kid and as a season ticket holder until I spread my wings.

My late dad was on first name terms with Delia. Always loved the club and cannot change now I live in lovely Bristol. City and Rovers are just not the same. My young boys have chosen our lot over anyone else too which is odd!

[quote user="......and Smith must score."][quote user="morty"][quote user="......and Smith must score."][quote user="nutty nigel"]Been out all afternoon and I''m enjoying catching up on this thread. I already know many of the stories and obviously I know a lot of the exiles personally so knew they bleed yellow and green. But what I wasn''t sure about was how it was for those who left their first club to live in Norwich. It seems that they become Norwich fans first just like the exiles do. It''s very unusual in life to get the best of both worlds but in this respect it seems our club does just that. So we really are unique and quite probably the best fans in the world.

I''ve loved supporting Norwich throughout what will be 50 years next month. But I would say to Fromage that we have a fan on the board who''s got over ten years on me.[/quote]This is a good thread Nutty. ( By the way I''ve been going a week longer than you so I guess I must be a better supporter [;)] )Interesting point you make about people moving to Norfolk from elsewhere becoming fully fledged Norwich fans. However lovely NCFC is, and it isn''t anywhere near as bad as some of us make out on here, I couldn''t do that. For instance if I''d been born in Liverpool and supported a team from that city, even Tranmere, they would be my first love, Sure I''d probably go to Carrow Rd now and again but it wouldn''t hold same interest to me unless my team provided the opposition.Each to their own but if you support the team where you were born that''s lifelong and outsiders I think can never feel quite the same intensity.[/quote]Unsurprisingly, I disagree[;)][/quote]Who could have seen that coming ? [:D][/quote]

Ohhhhhhhh, you old troll[;)]

[quote user="bristolcanary"]First game aged five with a wooden box to get knocked off and never looked back. I went to every home game I could as a kid and as a season ticket holder until I spread my wings.

My late dad was on first name terms with Delia. Always loved the club and cannot change now I live in lovely Bristol. City and Rovers are just not the same. My young boys have chosen our lot over anyone else too which is odd![/quote]This is what I was getting at Morty.BC''s first love was Norwich City and he can''t change now he''s in Bristol. You''ve said that Norwich was your first club on being posted to Norfolk and that''s the big difference. Had you supported another club before you came to this area I suspect your feelings would be different.

Mum is from Derby and she took me to Norwich v derby in 1972 when derby were reigning champions , don''t rember if there was an actual away end but we were surrounded by derby County fans who we were supporting 🐐. After that went to the baseball ground several times on visit to family and then started going to Norwich in about 1980 with mates from school, gradually switched allegiance over the next year or so as i got into the songs and stuff and have been supporting the mighty canaries ever since.

[quote user="......and Smith must score."][quote user="bristolcanary"]First game aged five with a wooden box to get knocked off and never looked back. I went to every home game I could as a kid and as a season ticket holder until I spread my wings.

My late dad was on first name terms with Delia. Always loved the club and cannot change now I live in lovely Bristol. City and Rovers are just not the same. My young boys have chosen our lot over anyone else too which is odd![/quote]This is what I was getting at Morty.BC''s first love was Norwich City and he can''t change now he''s in Bristol. You''ve said that Norwich was your first club on being posted to Norfolk and that''s the big difference. Had you supported another club before you came to this area I suspect your feelings would be different.[/quote]But I didn''t support another club, thats my point.

[quote user="morty"][quote user="......and Smith must score."][quote user="bristolcanary"]First game aged five with a wooden box to get knocked off and never looked back. I went to every home game I could as a kid and as a season ticket holder until I spread my wings.

My late dad was on first name terms with Delia. Always loved the club and cannot change now I live in lovely Bristol. City and Rovers are just not the same. My young boys have chosen our lot over anyone else too which is odd![/quote]This is what I was getting at Morty.BC''s first love was Norwich City and he can''t change now he''s in Bristol. You''ve said that Norwich was your first club on being posted to Norfolk and that''s the big difference. Had you supported another club before you came to this area I suspect your feelings would be different.[/quote]But I didn''t support another club, thats my point.[/quote]I think our wires are crossed here.If I''d never had a real interest in a team anywhere and moved to Norfolk and decided to follow the local team I''d probably be as committed as you are. What I''m trying to say is that if you had enthusiastically supported another team before you chanced upon Norwich surely that team would be your first love ?Or are fans that fickle ? 

Born in 76 in Norwich, thought football was dumb until I went to a game in 1988 I think, hooked from that point on. Was a regular at carrow road and away until 95 when I went to uni, swiftly followed with a move to London. Mostly London away days for me now, though I get the occasional home game in with my dad

[quote user="......and Smith must score."][quote user="morty"][quote user="......and Smith must score."][quote user="bristolcanary"]First game aged five with a wooden box to get knocked off and never looked back. I went to every home game I could as a kid and as a season ticket holder until I spread my wings.

My late dad was on first name terms with Delia. Always loved the club and cannot change now I live in lovely Bristol. City and Rovers are just not the same. My young boys have chosen our lot over anyone else too which is odd![/quote]This is what I was getting at Morty.BC''s first love was Norwich City and he can''t change now he''s in Bristol. You''ve said that Norwich was your first club on being posted to Norfolk and that''s the big difference. Had you supported another club before you came to this area I suspect your feelings would be different.[/quote]But I didn''t support another club, thats my point.[/quote]I think our wires are crossed here.If I''d never had a real interest in a team anywhere and moved to Norfolk and decided to follow the local team I''d probably be as committed as you are. What I''m trying to say is that if you had enthusiastically supported another team before you chanced upon Norwich surely that team would be your first love ?Or are fans that fickle ?  [/quote]No, I do get your point, if someone had previously supported another team[Y]

[quote user="morty"][quote user="......and Smith must score."][quote user="morty"][quote user="......and Smith must score."][quote user="bristolcanary"]First game aged five with a wooden box to get knocked off and never looked back. I went to every home game I could as a kid and as a season ticket holder until I spread my wings.

My late dad was on first name terms with Delia. Always loved the club and cannot change now I live in lovely Bristol. City and Rovers are just not the same. My young boys have chosen our lot over anyone else too which is odd![/quote]This is what I was getting at Morty.BC''s first love was Norwich City and he can''t change now he''s in Bristol. You''ve said that Norwich was your first club on being posted to Norfolk and that''s the big difference. Had you supported another club before you came to this area I suspect your feelings would be different.[/quote]But I didn''t support another club, thats my point.[/quote]I think our wires are crossed here.If I''d never had a real interest in a team anywhere and moved to Norfolk and decided to follow the local team I''d probably be as committed as you are. What I''m trying to say is that if you had enthusiastically supported another team before you chanced upon Norwich surely that team would be your first love ?Or are fans that fickle ?  [/quote]No, I do get your point, if someone had previously supported another team[Y][/quote]Phew !! Thought we''d end up arguing the toss all night about this at the beamback and then miss all the action on the pitch....;)]

TCCanary - Weirdly that was the first game I went to at Carrow Rd, my Dad took me, I remember my Dad carrying me on his shoulders along Carrow Rd after the game and being amazed by the number of people. I believe the late, great Jeff Astle played in that game. I have Googled this, and it appears the game was just before my eighth birthday in 1970, the English League Representative side won 5-0......

[quote user="bristolcanary"]morty said Yes, we know

Good post.🖕[/quote]Back atcha sweetcheeks[Y]

Born in Norwich. Loved football as far as I can first remember.

Uncle could have joined City but Grandad told him he wouldn''t make it.

Brother a top keeper and could have gone to Birmingham but too scared to leave home in the late fifties.

First game was 1960 and a 1-1 home draw with Sheffield United. Think we finsihed in the top four and gained what was called "talent money".

Played a small amount of local football at 15 but then decided to concentrate on watching City. River End boy then but changed to the Barclay when the mass singing started.

Followed home and away as much as apprentice wages would allow.

Suppose I''d be labelled a hooligan as I was thrown out of the ground Boxing day 1969 against Leicester. Barclay mob and Leicester mob clashed. My mate went down under a hail of boots while we stood innicently in the middle of it all. As I pulled them off him someone grabbed my shoulder and I turned round and thumped him. But it was a Bobby.

Thrown down the steps at the back and taken into a room where a burly Sergeant asked "Court or a beating?" "Beating if you wouldn''t mind" says I and got mostly punched in the stomach and one on the chin for my cheek.

It sounds awful really but those days did have an extra atmosphere, obviously because of terracing but also because of the closeness of the opposition fans.

Seen the boys beat NZ national team 5-1 in Auckland NZ and met the team at the Airport the next day.

I really am Keelan''s grandad as my son, another NCFC nut named his first son after the greatest ever Norwich player.

Lived in Cornwall since moving back to UK in 1980.