Sign in to follow this  
nutty nigel

Have you always supported the Canaries?

Moved to Thetford from Southwark/Bermondsey aged about 5 in 1965. Was not into football really. Passed 11 plus, went to Grammar school which meant walking past all these Secondary Modern boys who just loved my cap!! Got to know some of them who always wore their yellow and green scarves, they encouraged me to get to the station on a Saturday and go to the match, so I did! Loads used to go from Thetford, didn''t all support Norwich but teamed up for the day, I was hooked!

Soon started away games, went every week on Ruths coach from Attleborough, such a shock when she died. Had a spell out whilst playing but now a season ticket holder in the Watling (I know!) for the past 20 odd years. Whilst the football has not always been great, the hooks are in and they never come out!

First visit to Carrow rd 31 st August 1946 the first match after the 2nd World War Div 3 South. Norwich v Cardiff City. Result City 2 Cardiff 1. Goals from Billy Furness and Cyril Walker.

Local boys Fred hall Keeper. Bernard Robinson half back and John Church winger. Fifty plus years in Australia will be in the arm chair at 2am Sunday morning for the Canary Player commentary hoping to hear an excited Chris Goreham. Once a canary never anything else.

I can''t remember exactly what my first game was off the top of my head, but pretty sure it was in the cup. Must have been ''95/''96 somewhere around there, went with a local youth club. Sat in the Barclay and was hooked ever since.

I will admit I had a few Man Utd shirts when I was younger, but that came from seeing them on TV a lot in Europe etc. and not actual support for them. After seeing Norwich live, and them being my local side, I have supported them from the moment I saw my first game.