Sign in to follow this  
nutty nigel

Have you always supported the Canaries?

I''m just a local bor. Always lived in Norwich. But I know many of our supporters had childhoods in different places and moved to the fine city as students or later life. I guess this is the opposite of being exiled after growing up in the City. These fans never lose their roots and it seems the Canaries keep first place in their hearts. So how does the opposite work? If you grew up in say Carlisle and then moved to Norwich do your birth team keep the number one spot in your hearts or do City take first place?

Born in Glasgow and refused to take part in the "Oh you''re a protestant, so you must be a Rangers fan" nonsense. So grew up actually not liking football very much.First took an interest when I was posted to RAF Coltishall in the early 90''s and started going to Carrow road.So seeing as I had never watched or supported another football team, City definitely 1st for me!

Born in Norwich in 1977, my earliest memory was actually being given a green and yellow scarf. It doesn''t matter where I''m in the world, the first thing I do every morning is check in here, then check elsewhere for any Norwich news. NCFC is my life!. I will always get to as many games as I can each season, but my dream one day is to move back home and be in possession of a season ticket again.

Well, born in Norwich in 92. Had literally no interest in football despite my Dad being a big NCFC. Think he started to take me to games when I was 7 but I didn''t really understand the concept of football and what I was supposed to be getting all excited about. I persisted though (well, I guess he did really) and as I got older understood it more and from the age of 12ish I was quite into tactics and formations and used to watch from that point of view more than anything else. Emotionally got attached from 14 onwards really so now I just see red mist every time a ref blows his whistle against us. [:D]

Really Morty ? Never met anyone not be into a club in Glasgow who''s into football . I went up for a Scottish cup final (Rangers v Aberdeen, 3.3 draw with the Bears winnining on penalties)They sure party hard after winning a trophy and the passion during the match I''ve never seen matched . You must have had a slight allegiance towards one of them .

From Norwich so its my national team ;-)

I dont really support the "club" as its simply an entertainment business at the end of the day. Without a fan on the board or an elected director I dont see it as a club at all.

But you put Norwich on a team and I support it.

Its that feeling of walking through our fine city chatting to folk and walking together down to Carrow Road previously with my dad and now with my own kids.

I even love the moaning on Canary Call maybe I am more a fan of my fellow Norwich people turning up in such numbers and the atmosphere than the football itself.

[quote user="Midlands Yellow"]Really Morty ? Never met anyone not be into a club in Glasgow who''s into football . I went up for a Scottish cup final (Rangers v Aberdeen, 3.3 draw with the Bears winnining on penalties)They sure party hard after winning a trophy and the passion during the match I''ve never seen matched . You must have had a slight allegiance towards one of them .[/quote]None whatsoever.And you have to live there to really see the bigotry that surrounds it all. The religious bigotry means more to a lot, than the actual football does.

My first match was in 1967 remember Hugh Curran being main striker and lol Morgan being manager ,my godparent took me to my first match ,been a city fan ever since ,from 1971-1984 went to all home games and most away games in my mini Cooper or on the supporters coach.my work took me to Essex so could not attend so much after 1984 and then ill health took me to Lincolnshire for retirement ,I get to as many games as I can .city will always come first with me .

Come from Edinburgh and my early years were dedicated to the Jam Tarts (Hearts) I moved to Lancashire to take up an apprenticeship at 16, in the mid 70''s and went to Old Trafford with some mates, and the visitors that day were Norwich City and a certain Martin Peters was playing for Norwich (I was impressed that Norwich had signed him), was probably the only one on the Stretford End (standing only) that let out a cheer when Norwich scored, game ended 1-1, and i took Norwich as my "English" team from that day.

Moved to Devon a few years later and a nutty family from Norfolk moved in next door in early 90''s who were Canaries through and through, that helped keep my interest alive, in 95 I moved to Norwich with work, and have had a season ticket since.

Reckon another 20 years and I will get accepted as a fan, and not just a long distance supporter!!

Morty wrote;

And you have to live there to really see the bigotry that surrounds it all.

The religious bigotry means more to a lot, than the actual football does.

Concur, I came from the East where the bigotry existed but no where near the same intensity, and I heard a true story where 2 workmates (1 Celtic, I Rangers) had a fight after a match and one bit the others ear off, were crazy times and the bigotry still exists today, the one thing i would change about Scotland if I could.

Born in Suffolk in 1988 and my Dad was a huge Man U fan (hence my name) and Mum used to love travelling to watch the Villa in London. I''ve always been fat so I was obviously mostly into rugby and darts as a youngster but once Dad got the job calling toilets and cleaning Bingo balls we all moved to Norwich. Since then, I''ve always been interested in the canaries and one of my proudest moments was getting my first Norwich/ManU Halfy half scarf and winning at Wembley was incredible, just like being at the Theatre of Dreams on a European night. Lovely stuff.

[quote user="Matt Juler"]So we''ve got the RAF to blame.[/quote]And you to blame for trying to derail an otherwise civilised thread?

I''m another one who ended up supporting City due to the RAF, we were stationed at West Raynham (after a short stay at Bircham Newton).Going slightly O/T but I''ve a question about my first game at Carrow Rd. It didn''t invovle City it was a representative match & I believe it was a team representaing the football league playing a team representing the Northern Irish league, it was a mid week game and I remember Martin Peters playing for the football league team. At the time (1968/69) these games were quite common, anyone else remember them?

My earliest football memories are James Alexander Gordon reading results on dads radio.

My first game, in seventies on the old Barclay, I think against West Ham

I don''t remember that particular one TC, but do remember things like Anglo Scots 11 playing a Scottish league, I must have been no more than 8 years old and saw Dennis Law score an amazing scissor kick at Tynecastle for the Anglo''s. Have no idea of what the purpose of these games were, but they were well supported I seem to remember!

morty wrote the following post at 02/02/2017 2:46 PM:

Matt Juler wrote:

So we''ve got the RAF to blame.

And you to blame for trying to derail an otherwise civilised thread?

Pot & kettle springs to mind.

Mr Cholmondley Wanderer

I started supporting fleetwood town ''the trawler men'' then moved onto Grimsby town ''the mariners '' and then Lowestoft town the trawler men. Finally settling on the canaries who I have supported for over 20 years

All sounds a bit fishy to me, everyone know canaries don''t like fish.

As a West London buy I was taken to Stamford Bridge, dog track an’ all, for all home games and some close’ish away games, if too far we went to Fulham or Brentford instead. Then my own sporting dalliances took over and I didn’t get to weekend games until I was well into my thirties, although not every week.

Been in Norfolk for 21 years now and initially just wanted to see the local club do well, then the love blossomed and now a fervent season ticket holder.

[quote user="Lessingham Canary"]I don''t remember that particular one TC, but do remember things like Anglo Scots 11 playing a Scottish league, I must have been no more than 8 years old and saw Dennis Law score an amazing scissor kick at Tynecastle for the Anglo''s. Have no idea of what the purpose of these games were, but they were well supported I seem to remember![/quote]

Someone just sent me this from the NI FA Wiki,England League XI won 5-0 (2-0 at HT) at Carrow Rd on 23 Sept 1970 the crowd was 20,743& I was there, in 1970 we moved to Sprowston (my parents bought thier first house from an ex City player) so maybe I was allowed to go because we lived much nearer!

My first visits to Carrow road, remember there being a boys turnstile, next to the adults one (bit sexist these days), where entrance cost 50p, sitting in the old south stand. If it was a large gate, you didn''t get a seat, had to sit on laps!

I also remember being in awe of David Harvey in goal for Leeds who didn''t kick the ball but threw it, beyond the 1/2 way line every time. Don''t know if he always done that,or had taken a knock.

Was also in the barclay, for THAT goal, from Justin Fashanu, will never forget it.

Grew up in Gorleston. Most of my extended family supported Man Utd for some reason. Not sure why that''s such a common theme for those in Gorleston/GT Yarmouth.

Glad I didn''t follow the trend!

[quote user="Lessingham Canary"]

All sounds a bit fishy to me, everyone know canaries don''t like fish.[/quote]How about cuttle fish Lessingham as i am sure budgies have it wedged between the bars on a cage ? [:D]

Ashamed to say I was a Liverpool fan until I was nine years old (1986) much to my Father''s disgust. Been a Norwich fan ever since once I saw the light.

On a slightly different note, and specifically to TCCANARY I live in West Raynham and played football on the base in the early nineties just before it closed. It''s now a business park and enormous solar farm.

[quote user="Lessingham Canary"]Budgies, not Canaries, surely everyone knows that cuttle fish while good for their teeth is bad for their vocal chords?

Anyway Tilly when you going to share your story ?[/quote]Lived in Norwich and Norfolk all my life Lessingham. First went with my father in 1963 when we lived in Wroxham. Lived in the city since 1969.Since then have watched Norwich play at 83 shortly to become 84 of the current 92 clubs.

Respect Tilly. Which 8 do you have left?

I''m sure some clubs would get 2 entries too, as they move grounds.