Sign in to follow this  
Jack Flash

Playoffs

With Huddersfield leading Brighton 3-1 at Half Time, beginning to look like a scramble for the 6th place with Sheff Wed, Derby, us, Fulham all after one slot. Currently we are 9 pts off 5th place. Not going to be easy is it?

Watched the match last night. I do not want Huddersfield in the play offs! That might have been a one off for them but they were even more impressive than they were at our place.

They''re defensively suspect and prone to errors because of the way they play but their style of football was utterly sublime. Better than anything I''ve seen outside of the top 6 in the PL as well. Not only that they got a man between the ball and the opposition player almost immediately after they lost it each time.

They won''t get auto promotion because of their defensive issues but on their day could batter anyone in this league. Hopefully if we do get them we get them at the final and the occasion overawes them because I do not want them over two legs!

Huddersfield easily the best team I have seen against us this season, but someone in that top 6 will have a wobble at some point, and we have to be winning each and every game as it comes.

Well I expect Moxey will get a sizeable play off and that is supposed to be one of the reasons we didn''t sack AN and crew during the bad run as we couldn''t afford the playoffs.

Don''t agree Ron...Huddersfield were great against us...and I haven''t seen us performing on that level all season...even when we were winning

IMO it was more a case of us being dreadful rather than Hudds being particularly good when we played them - their 2nd was a particularly woeful effort from Brady, didn''t track back and his guy scored.

At this stage with nigh-on 20 games to go 9pts is really not a massive gap. The season we reached the play-off final v Brum we were 7 adrift of 6th with 7 to play. It would clearly take very decent form (which we''re capable of if interested), but if we got into that kind of form we will definitely be in the top 3-4. Whether we will but that form is of course open to question.

Everyone will drop points between now and the end of the season - boy, we should know best how easy it is for things to slide given recent times. As long as we don''t have another run of games like that you can bet your bottom dollar someone else will so we will catch them.

All we can do is win the games in front of us. It is certainly mathematically possible for us to go up automatically still so don''t write of the play-offs just yet. We have enough quality to get there, we just need the run of form to go with it.

[quote user="Dion Dublin Legend"]Newcastle are in crisis (again) with the manager falling out with the board. Brighton have lost their last two. If we get on a hell of a run then the top two can still be chased down.[/quote]
They certainly can be chased down, but it won''t be us that does it, we''ve got a task on to just make the play offs.

Keelansgrandad - why would Moxey get any payoff? he resigned.

Unless he is going to to take legal action for constructive dismissal i can''t see why he would get anything.

The club might close to force him to leave prior to the end of any notice period (in which case they''d pay him the wages for that period) or ask him to stay away (but still pay him) until the end of his notice period.. aka "gardening leave"

He will not gave accrued the main employment rights as he has only been with us for 6 months - you need to have been employed fo r2 years for unfair dismissal. As far as I can see - I am not a solicitor - any settlement will be mainly the notice payment up front, which is the norm with many senior appointments.Can''t see any reason for believing that there is a big pay off - he has no legal right to one.

It would depend upon whether Alex Neil has "found" it again.

He lost it for a couple of months and until it got to the stage where, it seemed, most of the fans wanted him replaced and there was growing resentment against the board for sticking by him.

Two home wins against fairly benign opposition have relieved the pressure. Whether these represent the turning point of our season remains to be seen.

This week-end will be an indicator. The next half dozen games should be a portend to our season''s outcome.

Not reaching the play-offs means that AN has not reached the minimum requirement for the season. That Huddersfield''s team of unknowns and cheapies are inspired to outplay us and are nine points our better is comment upon the poor job our manager has done thus far. The Terriers are currently a better team than the Canaries. Which of us would have forecast this at the season''s outset?

He has now got two more players of his choice in the squad who may make a difference, whereas those replaced ( PL players incidentally) were, for one reason or another, not able to effect a massive change in our fortunes under his management.

If Neil messes up now then I, for one, want him SACKED.

A decent stab at play-offs might just be enough for redemption. Then again, it should not be.

Playoffs should be perfectly achievable if we play well - we still have over 50 points to play for!

"Broadstairs: is ''benign opposition'' the same as ''on the beach'' but just earlier in the year?"

Hehe.

Wrong word then. Weaker (ie. not top six) is better.

In seriousness, I do not consider these two fixtures to be a genuine indication that we have turned the corner.

Saturday more so though.

I will add that, despite being a Neil outer, I am not going to make overmuch of the Rotherham result.

We had ten men for a lot of that game, but still put up a decent fight.

Sorry Howie, apparently you have non matching quotes so you end up back here.

Sorry but it was a play (off) on words. It is pyssing down here in Cornwall and I''m going stir crazy indoors and I''ve been a bit impish (Lincoln flavour of the month) this morning on many of the posts.

Keelansgrandad - I hope we never sign anybody on a pay to play deal on a week that it''s raining in Cornwall. Your pay on words (see what I did there) opportunities could be off the scale.

[quote user="Thirsty Lizard"]Keelansgrandad - I hope we never sign anybody on a pay to play deal on a week that it''s raining in Cornwall. Your pay on words (see what I did there) opportunities could be off the scale.[/quote]

It never stops down here. They say Norfolk people have two thumbs blah blah well we have webbed feet down here.

[quote user="BroadstairsR"]It would depend upon whether Alex Neil has "found" it again.

He lost it for a couple of months and until it got to the stage where, it seemed, most of the fans wanted him replaced and there was growing resentment against the board for sticking by him.

Two home wins against fairly benign opposition have relieved the pressure. Whether these represent the turning point of our season remains to be seen.

This week-end will be an indicator. The next half dozen games should be a portend to our season''s outcome.

Not reaching the play-offs means that AN has not reached the minimum requirement for the season. That Huddersfield''s team of unknowns and cheapies are inspired to outplay us and are nine points our better is comment upon the poor job our manager has done thus far. The Terriers are currently a better team than the Canaries. Which of us would have forecast this at the season''s outset?

He has now got two more players of his choice in the squad who may make a difference, whereas those replaced ( PL players incidentally) were, for one reason or another, not able to effect a massive change in our fortunes under his management.

If Neil messes up now then I, for one, want him SACKED.

A decent stab at play-offs might just be enough for redemption. Then again, it should not be.[/quote]

I agree Broady...this MUST be the start of a good run of results and play-offs , otherwise he must be sacked , period!

as has been the case all season play offs are possible as long as the away form picks up and we get some consistent performances from the squad.

Both of those issues have not yet been resolved, and while we may close the gap right now due to a series of easier fixtures, we still have plenty of tough games against the top teams to come. We probably need to take points from every one of those games to stand a chance.

Long way to go and its very much in our hands, perfromances every week, guts and desire, a huge improvement in concentration from the back 4, far more tenacious energy from the def midfielders and movement from the front four. Not too much to ask is it !?

Auto has long gone but playoffs still possible although no more than even money in my opinion.

No chance of playoffs with our away form being complete and s***e. Dunno why you lot keep setting yourselves up for a fall. A couple of routine home wins change absolutely nothing. Neil is still out of his depth, the club is still a shambles, and we WILL lose tomorrow. Nailed on.