Sign in to follow this  
James Kent

davenport this years calculated gamble

With plenty of strikers capable of scoring goals at this level, once we start firing on all cylinders.  Huckerby, Ashton, Leon, Mcveigh and Thorne should all supply a few, maybe this years key is to sign up Davenport.  Since he has come into the team we have looked far more solid, and is one for the present and the future.  An England u21 international we could have a great player for years.

If we could get him for 2 or 3 million? or should we spread the money out?

I for one would love to see Davenport here and this is the kind of signing we should be making.

I think any kind of gamble this year is going to be a greater one than those made during our promotion campaign, simply because it is a tougher league to get out of (in the correct direction) this year.

Loan until end of the season, then - depending on where we are - consider the permanent move.

I reckon it''d be a good investment even bearing in mind that we could well fail to go up.

It''s not like the money''s just being chucked away, we''d be getting a very valuable asset, hopefully for far less than its real market value.

I''d certainly be far happier with buying Davenport than bringing in Clinton Morrison, whose value is surely going to decline from here on.

I''d still chuffed with a season-long loan though.

Spurs recently paid £3m for Davenport, so I presume we would have to at least match that. Hopefully his valuation isn''t skyrocketing with the great performances he is putting in here. I have no idea if we have that sort of money available, but if we do I would really love to get him permanently. You have to build from the back!

[quote]I think any kind of gamble this year is going to be a greater one than those made during our promotion campaign, simply because it is a tougher league to get out of (in the correct direction) this yea...[/quote]

Loaning Davenport until the end of the season isn''t an option because of the transfer rules. He will leave at the beginning of December whatever; the only way he can return would be with a permanent transfer in the January window.

I think he has looked different class since arriving, and exactly the kind of young British player I would have liked to have seen us invest in 14 months ago, from a position of relative strength in the market, with half an eye on building a team that even if relegated would be likely to both improve and stay intact.

The recent interview he did was pretty encouraging, and seems to suggest that he would be interested in moving, if (1) the finances and (2) Tottenham agreeing, were sorted out.

(1) A deal of £2-3m involving installments/future incentives etc? Probably we could afford this given the parachute payments and money for Francis.

(2)Tottenham have a lot of centre-backs.

King first choice (having extended contract talks- according to media this sunday) with Naybet, Gardner, Dawson, Huddlestone and then presumably Davenport.

Davenport was also, as I understand it, signed by Pleat, and hence predates Jol- which might explain the willingness to loan him out (this is the 3rd time) and perhaps his lower position down the pecking order. 

Certainly, and with the obvious exception of Naybet, Tottenham have an abundance of young players in his position, and it doesn''t take a genius to work out that opportunities are likely to be limited.

By January he may well then move to a Championship club. Which one, might in fact, be the issue...

I think the biggest problem we may come up against clubs with money to burn - ultimately Wigan and West Ham.

I think spending 3 million on Davenport would be one hell of an investment. He has been the best centre back I have seen at the club in the last decade

I think Spurs have only paid 1m up front for Davenport.

The other 2m was depending on number of appearances for Spurs and International call ups.