Sign in to follow this  
Bill

Another 30 points

Should see us into a play off play off place with ease

Last decade or so has seen 6th place range from 78 points to 68 points. You can scrape in in 6th place and still face a team 10 points (say) higher in 3rd place

Earlier I said we should be looking at 9 points from Cardiff, Wigan and Forest. Todays result put us on course. Not so much the three points but the recognition that we do have the ability to grind out wins when the game is as much about brawn as brain.

Something I think we stumbled over, before Xmas. Other teams had seen that we could be out muscled and were then there for the taking. The two Dutch lads look like they are well suited to the Championship ''rough and tumble''

So what target should we be aiming for ?

To keeping winning, that''s all. The table will sort itself out.

If we manage over 45 points we''d have the possibility of autos, all teams in the top 6 will drop points. Until it''s mathematically impossible you''ve got to at least try

[quote user="AJ"]If we manage over 45 points we''d have the possibility of autos, all teams in the top 6 will drop points. Until it''s mathematically impossible you''ve got to at least try[/quote]

In 2012/13 Hull took an automatic place with 79 points !

(the binners were 6th in'' 15 with 78)

so it is far too early to speculate on the exact number of points needed other than around 75 points ''should'' be enough for a play off place.

More important is how well we are ''coping'', or playing if you wish. Today wasn''t too pretty by all accounts, but it was three points. Too often before we have been ''pretty'' and have left ourselves open.

Both CJ and AN seem to suggest that change has come about.

[quote user="Yorkshire Canary"]Possible but very challenging we will probably have to win half of the 6 pointers against top 10 sides but it is looking much better than a month ago[/quote]There''s ten in that list below that we could expect to beat, but if that were to happen and we scrapped into the playoffs what would it say about our ability to win promotion ?So yes, if not just for the needed points, we will have to take points of the top ten clubs ... and the top six clubs as well.If we can''t beat them before the playoffs what chance in the playoffs (Middlesborough ''15) ?Looking better in both points and confidence

Sat Feb 11
Nottingham Forest
H
Tue Feb 14
Newcastle United (7.45pm)
H
Sat Feb 18
Burton Albion
A
Sun Feb 26
Live on SkyIpswich Town (12pm)
H
Sat Mar 4
Sheffield Wednesday
A
Tue Mar 7
Bristol City (7.45pm)
A
Sat Mar 11
Blackburn Rovers
H
Sat Mar 18
Barnsley
H
Sat Apr 1
Aston Villa
A
Tue Apr 4
Huddersfield Town (7.45pm)
A
Sat Apr 8
Reading
H
Fri Apr 14
Fulham
H
Mon Apr 17
Preston North End
A
Sat Apr 22
Brighton
H
Sat Apr 29
Leeds United
A
Sun May 7
QPR (12pm)

I just can''t get all that carried away at the moment, and I think that the optimists should reign in their enthusiasm.In the last 17 games we have got 20 points, if we do the same in the next 17 that might see us sneak into the play offs in 6th, but there has never been a season where a team has got promoted winning less that 70 points.So there''s along way to go before I start doing cartwheels.

[quote user="lake district canary"]30 points? 16 games left means 42 points. Should be aiming to get all of them. 

[/quote]16 times 3 is 48 and I will bet £1000 with you that we don''t get another 48 points (even though there are 17 games left) between now and the end of the season.

I don''t see anyone getting carried awayThe OP merely pointed out how many more points we would need (roughly) to reach the play offs.Sure, if it is just a case of 17 games with nothing else factored in then we would get 20 points and miss the playoffs. But football is not like that - nor are we playing like most of those early 17 games.We could pick the last six games that have given us 16 points, which ''if we do the same'' in the next six games it would leave us needing around 12 points out of the remaining 11 points. Achievable I should imagine.Those previous six games are not picked at random either, they are when we seemed to get our act together.Maybe not cartwheels as you suggest, but an awful lot of us are doing a quiet little jig in anticipation.

[quote user="me tarzan me cold"]I don''t see anyone getting carried awayThe OP merely pointed out how many more points we would need (roughly) to reach the play offs.Sure, if it is just a case of 17 games with nothing else factored in then we would get 20 points and miss the playoffs. But football is not like that - nor are we playing like most of those early 17 games.We could pick the last six games that have given us 16 points, which ''if we do the same'' in the next six games it would leave us needing around 12 points out of the remaining 11 points. Achievable I should imagine.Those previous six games are not picked at random either, they are when we seemed to get our act together.Maybe not cartwheels as you suggest, but an awful lot of us are doing a quiet little jig in anticipation.[/quote]By all means get your hopes up.What I''m saying is that 17 games is an awful lot of football and we have put ourselves in a position where we need to win a majority of those games to be in with a chance of getting promoted, So until we have won another 10 - 12 games you will have to excuse me but I won''t be getting carried away.However if you are that confident I will offer you the same bet as I have just offered Lakey.

[quote user="lake district canary"]30 points? 16 games left means 42 points. Should be aiming to get all of them. 

[/quote]Lakey, you are a price plum at timeswhere did I say that we should be aiming for 30 points  ?didn''t this give you are clue to what my thoughts were on ''targets''"So what target should we be aiming for ?

To keeping winning, that''s all. The table will sort itself out."

[quote user="Iwans Big Toe"][quote user="lake district canary"]30 points? 16 games left means 42 points. Should be aiming to get all of them.  [/quote]16 times 3 is 48 and I will bet £1000 with you that we don''t get another 48 points (even though there are 17 games left) between now and the end of the season.[/quote]

Doh!  17 games and 51 points available.  Even better.  I believe we can win every week, so 42, 48 or 51 points doesn''t daunt me.  Simply taking week by week means that each week we try and win and if momentum is with us, then we will win more often than not. 

*Top tip*If you are hard of counting, take your socks off, it literally doubles your counting power.

[quote user="morty"]*Top tip*If you are hard of counting, take your socks off, it literally doubles your counting power.[/quote]Not in everybody''s case.[;)]

[quote user="OldRobert"][quote user="morty"]*Top tip*If you are hard of counting, take your socks off, it literally doubles your counting power.[/quote]Not in everybody''s case.[;)][/quote]Clearly not.It does help Suffolk folks count up to 24 though.

Yes, before the Brum game id posted on 40 points if we could win 10 draw 5 and lose 4 of the last 19 games, we would finish on 75, enough in most seasons to get a 6th place spot. So now its win 8 draw 5 lose 4, surely a statistic that is not over burdensome for a club like ours.Much depends on the other clubs results to of course, Reading, Leeds and Huddersfield are all pretty consistent right now,it may be that this season could end up like Ipswich in 15, needing 78 points or thereabouts, all the more probable when you consider our rivals for 6th spot currently include the likes of Sheff. Wed  and Derby.Nevertheless, it does show that despite that really bad run recently, City are still more than capable of getting a top 6 place, even without needing a miraculous type run of results. As ever though, its all ifs and buts, but City are not a million miles away.