Sign in to follow this  
BroadstairsR

England v France

RU.

Live on ITV this afternoon.

Does anybody else think that an England international rugby game against certain opponents (France, Wales, Aus, NZ especially) comes a close third to watching the Canaries live? Whether in the flesh or on a screen.

(Better these days than an England international football match unfortunately.)

Of course a decent 18 holes of golf comes first though.

Signed,

Plastic, plastic.

P.S. It''s England or Ireland for this year''s crown.

I''d second that, grown very tired of international football and would rather watch the passion of the 15 players out on the pitch today. you won''t see anyone rolling around with a broken nail or surround the referee there either.

always a dark day on the sporting calendar when the 6 nations arrives.......I suppose we''ve got to hear about this barbour jacket and green welly egg chasing b*llocks for the next 2 months now?

wake me up when it''s over.....

How did you known I had a Barbour jacket and wore green wellies when gardening?

Try an international rugby game my fried.

Especially against Ireland. Everybody''s pissed for a start.

Played rugby for over 25 years as there was no real football (until recently) down here. Would def be a season ticket holder now if lived in near Norwich and a home game would win the day.

Def agree with your top two Scotland could be the dark horses this year and finish third.

Rugby is a stupid game invented for talentless lummoxs'' who are too fat and clumsy to play football ! May as well just stick your ears in a food blender and save the hassle of waddling about in tight shorts. Nobody knows the rules if you go in a pub when it''''s on 90% of the neanderthals watching it haven''t a clue why they are cheering 😅

"Rugby is a stupid game invented for talentless lummoxs'' who are too fat and clumsy to play football ! May as well just stick your ears in a food blender and save the hassle of waddling about in tight shorts. Nobody knows the rules if you go in a pub when it''''s on 90% of the neanderthals watching it haven''t a clue why they are cheering" 😅

Yet it gets such high profile and attendances because it is exactly as you state. Why not take an interest in both?

I love every tactic, every move, every tackle. I''m happy to enjoy it. Who are you to tell me otherwise?

Mind you I am one who has always striven to widen my horizons rather than narrow them .... Norfolk fashion.

"Sorry Broadstairs I just couldn''t.. I''ve never watched a rugby match all the way through , I''ve tried several times just not for me."

Understand that but my point is that it is a popular game for a reason, and most of it''s followers are not upper class twits who went to public schools.

It is as much a game of the people as footie is nowadays.

Having said that, I have only played the game once. Filling in last minute when my college team were short.

I was blind side wing forward, hadn''t a clue what to do and ended up with more bruises than a windfall.

Had a rugby enthusiast mate who took me to a few games at Twickers. Great fun (very booze fuelled) and have loved it ever since.

One must broaden one''s horizons whenever possible. Otherwise you end up in constant arguments on a footie forum aka the Parish.

Football is by far my favourite sport. I don''t follow any rugby team other than England But the 6 nations is my favourite sporting event.

Unlike the football World Cup or even Euros every game has its own little tale and history to give it some spice.

Real entertainment and passion.... miles away from the English football team sadly

Union is terrble, un-watchable for me.

However League is outstanding,

For me, its now very close between Football and Horse Racing, then Rugby League back in 3rd.

if the England football football only had half a dozen countries to compete with on a global scale (which also signifies how "popular" rugby is on a worldwide scale)....I dare say they might have a better chance of success too?

ootball is by far my favourite sport. I don''t follow any rugby team other than England But the 6 nations is my favourite sporting event.

"Unlike the football World Cup or even Euros every game has its own little tale and history to give it some spice.

Real entertainment and passion.... miles away from the English football team sadly "

Well said that man.

I defy anybody who goes to an England v Ireland match at Twickenham to not have an eternal love for the game.

I was a bit of a mischief maker when starting this thread having shot 83 this morning and my best score for ages. Following it up with four pints of Bombardier I wanted aggro and stated that 18 holes on a golf course was preferable to attending the Carrra live for 90 minutes.

It provoked nobody. Not one accusation about not being a "real" supporter.

Instead a decent response about RU.

"Def agree with your top two Scotland could be the dark horses this year and finish third."

Yep. Well spotted. They are giving the Irish a bit of a tonking.

England v Scotland it is then. We should beat the frogs.

I live in Cornwall which has a Rugby tradition but football is taking over.

We cater for a local rugby club and the reason I am not in Cardiff today is that we have a county rugby match Cornwall v Berkshire tomorrow and have to do a lot of prep today. Busy all morning checking out the condition of the pitch to avoid preparing steak pie for 90 if it was called off. Luckily it is still on.

I like most sports. Football is my number one of course but I do enjoy rugby matches. In fact I was saying to people at the ground this morning that any "live" sport is preferable.

And I will be watching England v France tonight as it is an occasion. Of course Rugby is still, at top level in England, a toffs sport but at the level I am involved with it is working class. Mining was the main industry down here until the last century.

It is not a "toffs sport" Keelan.

It''s just that it is more difficult to play at street level than football. Football requires a couple of goal posts made up of cardigans on the ground and no ref. Rugger cannot operate that way.

Rugby needs more.

Rugby is more institutionalised that''s true. I love it and I am not a toff, as are most of the pissed up Irish in Scotland now.

Chill. Expand your horizons . This week-end of rugby u will give much pleasure to many of us City enthusiasts.

Rugby Unions been around for about 120 years?.....of which I''ve been on this planet for roughly a third of that.

If it hasn''t grabbed me by now it''s fair too say it isn''t going to.

An ugly ,unaesthetically pleasing sport to both play and watch, one thing''s for sure , if the sport didn''t exist exist there''s no way that anybody in their right mind would invent it today.

[quote user="BroadstairsR"]It is not a "toffs sport" Keelan.

It''s just that it is more difficult to play at street level than football. Football requires a couple of goal posts made up of cardigans on the ground and no ref. Rugger cannot operate that way.

Rugby needs more.

Rugby is more institutionalised that''s true. I love it and I am not a toff, as are most of the pissed up Irish in Scotland now.

Chill. Expand your horizons . This week-end of rugby u will give much pleasure to many of us City enthusiasts.[/quote]

Really?

The Youngs went to Greshams, the Vunipolas, Itoje went to Harrow, Joseph to Millfield and the rest all went to fee paying schools.

As I said, at the top level, it is still very much the toffs game.

I enjoy watching rugby, but my perception of the type of person who plays rugby has been forever tainted by attending university and having the pleasure to witness first hand the moronic, sexist and racist behaviour of the teams and their supporters pre and post match, all of which apparently is legitimately excused as "banter".

So yeah, I will enjoy England v France today but I would probably rather visit Basra than Twickenham.

A close fought Rugger match can be one of the best sports viewing experiences out there! Think England will win the Six Nations this year, Eddie Jones doind a fine job! Trouble is we always seem to peek far too early for World Cups and the Southern hemisphere teams use the four years to mold teams which peek at the right time!

Scotland cause an upset with the opening game.

Scotland cause an upset. Marvellous.

We can cash in.

This is thoroughly enjoyable, but I would prefer a City win to an England win v the Fogs.