Sign in to follow this  
George Smiley

New fans

Was reading Harry Rednapp''s new book recently and he made a good point about football grounds being overpopulated with fans who know nothing about their club''s history and traditions.They go to games because it is cool and trendy and they know nothing really about football.I think he was talking mainly about the Premier league but you could also say the same thing about the Championship.The much maligned Lake District Canary gets a lot of stick on here by our fans, myself included but I can recognize he knows this clubs history even though he doesn''t go to many games.Have any die hard fans noticed this at Carrow Road?

I''ve started taking my wife to the games that I go to and she is hilarious, has absolutely no clue about football but she is instantly transformed from an English professor to a raging maniac! Shouts NICE for every completed pass even if its just three yards and swears at the referee everytime the ref gives the opposition any descision. Quite often she is more entertaining than the football:)

Just because you go on about history doesn''t mean you actually know anything about the game.*Glances down the A140*

Proper fan Bagster.
MOTD is the place to analyse refs decisions. At the game any decision against us is wrong. There''s nothing worse than hearing your own supporters say the ref was right for giving the opposition anything. Even if it''s a penalty after your own defender caught the ball on the line and threw it at the ref.

But back on topic, yes, I encounter a lot of folks who know next to nothing about football, both on here, and sat near me at Carrow road / away games.

Harry Redknapp has written a book...I hope it contained a recently updated chapter on driver observation and awareness?

Apples

I started going to games in 1979 , in fact the first game I went to was Norwich v Manure and finished 2-2 , I think Robson and Paddon scored for us.I like to think I am a bit knowledgeable about our history from then on. I can recall some obscure players who used to play briefly for us like Shaun Elliot , Nick Tanner, Jason Minnett,Graham Benstead,Simon Ratcliffe but I am clueless about our history before then.Players like Colin Suggett, Phil Boyer and Ted McDougall were before my time .

[quote user="George Smiley"]I started going to games in 1979 , in fact the first game I went to was Norwich v Manure and finished 2-2 , I think Robson and Paddon scored for us.I like to think I am a bit knowledgeable about our history from then on. I can recall some obscure players who used to play briefly for us like Shaun Elliot , Nick Tanner, Jason Minnett,Graham Benstead,Simon Ratcliffe but I am clueless about our history before then.Players like Colin Suggett, Phil Boyer and Ted McDougall were before my time .[/quote]You seem to be placing a lot of importance on history, I know a few who have been going for donkeys years, and still seem to know very little about the actual game.Knowing about history, and truly understanding the game don''t, necessarily, go hand in hand.

Yep, history can be learnt from a book in an afternoon. Learning about ''football'' seems to be impossible for some people after decades of watching it.

Although each individual fan usually learns enough so they can enjoy it, and that is the fundamental reason for attending. A 6 year old will enjoy witnessing a goal from their favourite player the same way a 20 something football hipster will enjoy seeing their team employ a gegenpress.

There is no right or wrong way to enjoy the game, like there is no right or wrong way to appreciate art or listen to music.

I haven''t read it but I reckon Harry is a top top writer, probably a triffic book by a proper football man who knows the game inside and out.His son is a revelation also, some of the insight he brings to game has me open mouthed with wonder. I can''t wait until Frank get a job on the telly.

[:)]

[quote user="George Smiley"]True , You only have to listen to Canary Call[/quote]"Hullo, I have been a season ticket holder for 45 years......"

There''s history and history tho.

There is the history of your club, achievements, trophies and the like, which is not overly relevant to a match day experience, but there is ''match history'' which I think is.

Things like giving opposition players stick coz they used to play for scum, and the like. Understanding why we hate wolves, and the like.

[quote user="morty"]But back on topic, yes, I encounter a lot of folks who know next to nothing about football, both on here, and sat near me at Carrow road / away games.[/quote]How would you know morty? [:P]

Because if they don''t agree/ comply, that''s the only reason isn''t it?

Can''t have a different opinion.

Of course size doesn''t always matter. And neither does length of time watching football.

And everyone gets what they want out of any sport and football being the most popular in the world makes it attractive to many who perhaps have no wish to understand but just say I was there.

It doesn''t matter who goes to the games to the clubs as it is welcome income.

And there will be many in thirty years time when many of us will be ashes who will be saying, with NCFC playing in tier four of the World league, exactly the same things as Harry is saying,