Sign in to follow this  
Thirsty Lizard

Official Plan B

One of the criticisms that has often been levelled at Alex Neil is that he is stubborn and will only play with one formation - 4-5-1 or 4-2-3-1 whichever you like to call it.

Now that we''ve had Jerome and Oliveira playing together up front away to Brentford and to Wigan it looks as though Neil is no longer so wedded to playing with just the lone centre forward.

With Jerome and Oliveira both in good form I think that has to be a good thing.

It was refreshing to see the change, but how far it suited either striker, I am not sure. The strength of both of them is in helping to create problems for defenders, but until they are used to each other''s game...

If we are to select a play maker, number 10 or whatever, whether Wes, Naismith or Pritchard, etc., it does make our forward thrust a little cluttered, and it is essential that the players quickly adapt their own games.

The irony is I thought we should have stuck to 4-2-3-1...

Especially when we ended up at one point with Jerome on the right wing to try & stem the tide, and then ending up with 2 strikers & the Murphys playing turned the game into a lottery

[quote user="Thirsty Lizard"]One of the criticisms that has often been levelled at Alex Neil is that he is stubborn and will only play with one formation - 4-5-1 or 4-2-3-1 whichever you like to call it.

Now that we''ve had Jerome and Oliveira playing together up front away to Brentford and to Wigan it looks as though Neil is no longer so wedded to playing with just the lone centre forward.

With Jerome and Oliveira both in good form I think that has to be a good thing.[/quote]While he has preferences, I don''t think its a case of him being hugely opposed to playing 4-4-2, its about having the players to do it well.At any given time we have either not had both strikers fit, or in form, or we haven''t had a strong enough central midfield pairing to make it work.

I thought he picked a team for the pitch. It worked because we had to play more long ball than normal. It also helps having two quality players to put there. Trouble is I''m not sure it suits our wide players so much. Will be interesting to see if we revert to 451/433 on Saturday. But yes he was flexible in formation rather than trying to force his preferred set up into yesterdays situation.