Sign in to follow this  
Salopian

Defensive weakness again.

The defence seems inconsistent at the moment. Ruddy, who showed excellent judgement in dealing with crosses on Saturday, was somehow reluctant to to leave his line on occasions last night.

I don''t blame him, because on Saturday his excellence covered up the fact that we are just not good enough at dealing with crosses. Other teams have surely noticed!

The coaches surely deal with this issue in training, but somehow in the heat of battle our defenders lose sight of danger.

[quote user="Salopian"]The defence seems inconsistent at the moment. Ruddy, who showed excellent judgement in dealing with crosses on Saturday, was somehow reluctant to to leave his line on occasions last night.

I don''t blame him, because on Saturday his excellence covered up the fact that we are just not good enough at dealing with crosses. Other teams have surely noticed!

The coaches surely deal with this issue in training, but somehow in the heat of battle our defenders lose sight of danger.[/quote]Having viewed the goals, especially the first one, its a simple case of not winning headers, and I have no idea why.Alex Neil made the point about the overall height of our defence, and how we should be dealing with these situations.One thing I will say is that the defence has cut out a lot of the really silly mistakes that we have seen over the last few months. Maybe its a case of us studying this too hard, at the end of the day, every defence concedes goals.

Thought you''d gone for a nap, as noticed you were getting a little, erm, tetchy.

Feeling better now?

[quote user="DDD In The Fine City"]Second goal was down to Ruddy, why build a wall in the middle of the goal and stand behind it? Wall one side in line with the post and keeper stands the other side, basic goalkeeping ain''t it?[/quote]Yeah I think he could definitely could have done better, he barely moved.

I''m afraid for me Ruddy''s reluctance to leave his line is a major, although not the only, factor in our defensive weakness.

Last night the first goal from the corner was about 3yds out and pretty central - surely at any level of football you would have expected a keeper to either claim it or hold it.

Fair play to him for Saturday but sadly I think last night was more typical of his performances over the last 2-3 years.

Ruddy''s save at the end was quality tho, I do feel he is nearing his better form for us.

I''d like to see him stay, and ncfc take their option at the end of the season.

[quote user="Creative Midfielder"]I''m afraid for me Ruddy''s reluctance to leave his line is a major, although not the only, factor in our defensive weakness.

Last night the first goal from the corner was about 3yds out and pretty central - surely at any level of football you would have expected a keeper to either claim it or hold it.

Fair play to him for Saturday but sadly I think last night was more typical of his performances over the last 2-3 years.[/quote]You could also say, though, that you would expect your defender to win his header.I have just rewatched their second goal about five times, and what strikes me most is that what the hell was our wall doing? One of their players feinted a run at goal, which took two of our defenders out of the wall., leaving Bogle space to shoot through. Bit naive.

I have just rewatched their second goal about five times,

Did u struggle to get past 5 or run out of fingers?

Obviously if you were proper born and bred Norfolk you would have got to 6 on one hand!!!

Im pretty sure Greavsy isnt Smudger, not his style and Smudger would have lost his cool ages ago and resorted to a few choice words by now.

Back to defensive weakness agree Ruddy should have done much better for the 2nd goal

morty wrote the following post at 08/02/2017 1:01 PM:

Is this where he apologises, again, promises to stop it, then carries on anyway?

I''ve only ever apologised to the genuine posters whose enjoyment of this forum has been affected.

Read what I''ve typed, not what you think I''ve typed, or wish I''d typed.

Much appreciated.

2 weeks and counting..........

nutty nigel wrote the following post at 08/02/2017 1:00 PM:

You''re tedious Greavsy. I''m Norfolk born and bred and proud to be so.

And I salute you for it Nigel, respect, and no offence intended.

Like it Lessingham, wouldn''t the yanks get confused with soccer and it''s real name though?

I think any club in The Championship would be more than happy to have Big John between the sticks.

Agreed Tilly, hence why I''d like city to take his option for next season. We aren''t going to be able attract anyone better.

[quote user="Greavsy"]Sorry to disappoint hogs, but youre not my type![/quote]
I''d treat you better than your precious Tyrone would.