Sign in to follow this  
Derby Canary

Your turn Delia!

[quote user="hogesar"]Just as a quick fyi morty I remember Purple being one of the only posters on here to raise concern about RVW before we actually saw him play, to his credit.[/quote]

Thanks hogesar. To be clear, it was only a nagging doubt based on that one video, which, as I said at the time, did show him scoring only one kind of goal, and that worried me (combined with the fact that no other English PL club had gone for him, despite what was on paper an impressive scoring record). But I certainly would not claim I was sure, based on such limited knowledge, that he was bound to be a failure.

@Nutty

Difficult to say I guess as over 15 years our contemporaries change.

Would we have considered comparing ourselves to Bournemouth 15 years ago? Would we have conceived that in that time Swansea, Wigan and Portsmouth would have all won trophies? Or would we think of Leeds as one?

That''s why I said most Kingo. There''s always been some at any given moment of time but we have had 5 PL seasons. And we''ve done it all without going into administration. Doesn''t matter where we are the expectations will go beyond it. Look where Leicester fans now expect to be. Yet Leads, Sheff Wed and the binners to name just 3 would love to have been us. And we won a trophy in 2004. It''s just a shame that people prefer to celebrate the memory of the tv money that followed. Our name is still on that trophy though...

[quote user="morty"]Tom had nothing to do with the Galway roast thing. It appears to be you who isn''t up to date.[/quote]

Still here Morty, just pondering over your choice of ''friend'', that apparently spins ''100% lies''!

It was a bit of nonsense to see which idiots would desperately grab it as a stick to beat the club with.

Ahem....

[quote user="morty"]It was a bit of nonsense to see which idiots would desperately grab it as a stick to beat the club with.

Ahem....[/quote]

Just a little sad that (like you) he has not got something better to do with his time than purposely trying to spread misinformation. There''s already too many ''real'' issues to concern us, no need to look for trash from idiots trying to cause trouble!

[quote user="Derby Canary"][quote user="nutty nigel"]But Kingo, isn''t that what all owners to? What other football club owners don''t choose who is on the board?

I doubt you''ll find any who let the fans choose.[/quote]

Of course not NN, but successful Football Clubs much like any other business choose Board members with sufficient knowledge of the business they are in to be able to make a contribution. Also a spread of knowledge to cover all scenarios. Not just because they are celebrity mates or relations![/quote]

Robert Chase, Jimmy Jones, Gavin Paterson and Barry Lockwood was a pretty good spread that delivered unparalleled success.

[quote user="nutty nigel"]There''s some more bollix for you Derby.

Why did none of the above invest when the club needed them vinnie boy?[/quote]Indeed, nutty. Delia has made the point that when there was a share offer (probably the one to cover the hole left by ITV Digital) she and Michael ended up having to buy more shares than they had envisaged because some others who might have chipped in failed to do so.

[quote user="Derby Canary"][quote user="morty"]It was a bit of nonsense to see which idiots would desperately grab it as a stick to beat the club with.

Ahem....[/quote]

Just a little sad that (like you) he has not got something better to do with his time than purposely trying to spread misinformation. There''s already too many ''real'' issues to concern us, no need to look for trash from idiots trying to cause trouble![/quote]And too many people just desperate to believe anything they read, hoping to find a stick to beat the club with.[:)]

[quote user="nutty nigel"]There''s some more bollix for you Derby.

Why did none of the above invest when the club needed them vinnie boy?[/quote]

Investment wasn''t such a big issue in those pre-Premier League days. The club did a good job turning over players without needing deep pockets. The players bought made Norwich City a top 6 outfit on multiple occasions 1987-1993. Scouts like Ronnie Brookes were superior.

So as you seem to believe Chases merry men would be as much use now as a chocolate teapot Vinnie, why are you holding them up as an example of how things should be?

Mind you, I reckon they''d need ginormous brown envelopes these days...

[quote user="nutty nigel"]So as you seem to believe Chases merry men would be as much use now as a chocolate teapot Vinnie, why are you holding them up as an example of how things should be?

Mind you, I reckon they''d need ginormous brown envelopes these days...[/quote]

Because Chase & Jones & Co were football savvy. Delia and Wynnie are not. They have to get people in to tell them how to think (with all the risks that go with that) as we have just seen.

If I was an owner of a football club and someone told me it was time to sling my hook, my first reaction would be to tell them to Foxtrot Oscar. That was if I couldn''t get to them personally to punch them on the nose.

They might have been football savvy in the 80s but they''re a million miles away from that now. Ronnie Brooks scouting Pinto? Ok....

They''d be clueless now.

[quote user="TCCANARY"][quote user="Derby Canary"][quote user="TCCANARY"][quote user="Derby Canary"][quote user="TCCANARY"]They also invited Bowkett to join the board, seems that they have a track record of appointing good people to help them run the club.

[/quote]

nephew Tom (and his sponsorship efforts, [/quote]

What sponsorship efforts? You really don''t know what you''re talking about.

[/quote]

You don''t seem to have your finger on the pulse of the day to day goings on at our Club old lad. I suggest you update yourself so that you don''t appear a little silly when you are throwing around insults![/quote]

Oh deary deary deary me.

[/quote]

I''m still waiting for my apology.

[quote user="TCCANARY"]Being called an ''old lad'' has seriously impacted on my feelings. [/quote]

Cheer up TC! Maybe you''ll get one from Morty for having such dubious ''mates''. Obviously their misinformation spread around the internet is about as accurate as most of his comments on here!

[quote user="nutty nigel"]Prior to that 1-7 we had a play off final and championship win. How do the last 15 years bear scrutiny in the light of the majority of our contempories?[/quote]

It is very difficult and somewhat unfair to compare different eras.

Would Ron Davies be as good today? Would MacDougall?

Would Bryceland be the answer to our midfield problems?

And I guess it is the same with the custodians.

I first becaame interested enough in NCFC to to take notice about 56/57 and they were dire times financially and the only brightness was the occasional FA Cup win (no league cup then).

I remember blankets being carried around the ground for people to throw money into to help out and the supporters club bailing out time after time.

The crowd was different then. Many were country people who came up to the City with the wives on a Saturday.

So to compare is awkward at best. And of course record signings at £40K!

People who first became interested in the 70''s will remember many seasons in the top flight, two Wembley visits and the odd legend playing for the club.

The 90''s boomers will remember the succession of awful managers and cheap foreign imports.

And the noughties, inspired no doubt by the emergence of social media and all seater grounds and mega TV money will have a totally different impression of football in general but of the aspirations of our club.

The current owners may well have found it as difficult as Watling in the 50''s and who knows what Chase would have made of all the money flying around today.

It is what it is today as far as the owners go and maybe some of the impetuousness and vitriol of many of todays followers is just symptomatic of the era we live in.