Sign in to follow this  
Derby Canary

Your turn Delia!

Teams of our size don''t spend £8m on one for the future. It just doesn''t happen. If you''re spending that size fee on a player you expect them to making an impact straight away.

Also if he''s the long term replacement for Wes then what is Maddison? The long term replacement for Pritchard?

Hindsight and opinion are lame compared to facts. And the facts show our board in a good light apart from a handful of our contempories. It would nice to be the best but there''s many more worse records than better ones.

[quote user="king canary"]Teams of our size don''t spend £8m on one for the future. It just doesn''t happen. If you''re spending that size fee on a player you expect them to making an impact straight away.

Also if he''s the long term replacement for Wes then what is Maddison? The long term replacement for Pritchard?[/quote]I don''t know what else to tell you, Wes'' continued form is keeping him out of the team.So you''re branding Pritchard a failure already?

[quote user="TCCANARY"][quote user="Derby Canary"]

The point is Morty that the CURRENT members have done little right (apart from of course Delia''s original investment).

Our success in recent years came from McNally''s appointment of Lambert and then was funded by the financial rewards of Lambert''s success.

Unless of course you can prove otherwise.[/quote]

Didn''t they appoint McNally?

[/quote]

I thought somebody would raise that. Yes they did but under Alan Bowkett''s stewardship/guidance and you know what happened to him!

They also invited Bowkett to join the board, seems that they have a track record of appointing good people to help them run the club.

[quote user="TCCANARY"]They also invited Bowkett to join the board, seems that they have a track record of appointing good people to help them run the club.

[/quote]

......who mysteriously resigned a couple of weeks after mapping out the Club''s future at the AGM!

Have you forgotten Ed Balls, nephew Tom (and his sponsorship efforts, and Stephen Fry. As well as the several inexperienced managerial appointments. Plus the various appointments that have come/gone within weeks! I think selecting and making appointments with this board has hardly been a success story.

[quote user="king canary"]@Purple

I have plenty of understanding of the limitations on what we can spend- I don''t see where you get that from my comment. In fact it is the limitations that make these mistakes so frustrating- unlike most other clubs we can''t just write-off these sorts of mistakes.

The list of our top transfers in terms of spending is pretty poor- RVW, Klose, Brady, Naismith and Pritchard. Right now I''d struggle to say any of them were great successes although Klose has been decent and Brady was sold for a profit.

I''d be interested to know which of those I listed you don''t see as a failure?[/quote]These are the main transfers in (excluding loans) in the recent seasons when we have had Premier League money to spend:2011-12Morison*Vaughan!!!E Bennett*Johnson*Pilkington!!!AyalaHowson*R Bennett*I would not rank any of those as outright failures (a couple of injury-prone players!!! in there) and most* as definite successes.2012-13WhittakerButterfieldSnodgrass*Turner*Bassong*Tettey*BecchioA couple of possible sub-standards to make up squad number, but only Becchio as an outright failure,and again most were successes.2013-14Van WolfswinkelGarrido*Redmond*Olsson*Fer*HooperOne obvious failure and a question over Hooper.2015-16Dorrans*Mulumbu!!!Brady*Jarvis!!!Pinto*Klose*?NaismithTwo very injury prone, and one could argue about whether Klose was a success that season. Of the PL seasons, probably the least good. That said we had Mbokani on loan, and he was a reasonable success. Overall our record is nowhere near as bad as you painted it.

[quote user="Derby Canary"][quote user="TCCANARY"]They also invited Bowkett to join the board, seems that they have a track record of appointing good people to help them run the club.

[/quote]

......who mysteriously resigned a couple of weeks after mapping out the Club''s future at the AGM!

Have you forgotten Ed Balls, nephew Tom (and his sponsorship efforts, and Stephen Fry. As well as the several inexperienced managerial appointments. Plus the various appointments that have come/gone within weeks! I think selecting and making appointments with this board has hardly been a success story.[/quote]Sorry to pi$$ on your bonfire, but you do know that Galway roast / Nephew Tom thing was actually made up by a poster on here?Or maybe not.....

[quote user="Derby Canary"][quote user="TCCANARY"]They also invited Bowkett to join the board, seems that they have a track record of appointing good people to help them run the club.

[/quote]

nephew Tom (and his sponsorship efforts, [/quote]

What sponsorship efforts? You really don''t know what you''re talking about.

Just as a quick fyi morty I remember Purple being one of the only posters on here to raise concern about RVW before we actually saw him play, to his credit.

[quote user="TCCANARY"][quote user="Derby Canary"][quote user="TCCANARY"]They also invited Bowkett to join the board, seems that they have a track record of appointing good people to help them run the club.

[/quote]

[/quote]

You don''t seem to have your finger on the pulse of the day to day goings on at our Club old lad. I suggest you update yourself so that you don''t appear a little silly when you are throwing around insults!

Tom had nothing to do with the Galway roast thing. It appears to be you who isn''t up to date.

Just to bring you up to date with your Club TC Canary

http://services.pinkun.com/forums/pinkun-forums/cs/forums/3436982/PrintPost.aspx

Have a read!

[quote user="Derby Canary"]Just to bring you up to date with your Club TC Canary

http://services.pinkun.com/forums/pinkun-forums/cs/forums/3436982/PrintPost.aspx

Have a read![/quote]Yes, Plastic Nancy is a mate of mine, and he 100% made this up.

Maybe I just have different standards in what makes someone a success- for me there is no question on Hooper. He cost us a good amount of money, never established himself as a starter (even in the Championship) and then was sold for a loss.

For me I look at that list and I don''t see enough players who actually improved our starting XI. It is crazy that after all the money spent that our best central midfield pair is Tettey and Howson, or that Martin, Bennett and Bassong still get significant game time at centre back, how despite spending circa £20m on players who want to be in the ''number 10'' role we''re still so reliant on Wes.

[quote user="Derby Canary"][quote user="TCCANARY"][quote user="Derby Canary"][quote user="TCCANARY"]They also invited Bowkett to join the board, seems that they have a track record of appointing good people to help them run the club.

[/quote]

[/quote]

You don''t seem to have your finger on the pulse of the day to day goings on at our Club old lad. I suggest you update yourself so that you don''t appear a little silly when you are throwing around insults![/quote]

Oh deary deary deary me.

The truth is that these suggestions of clueless owners and a shambolic football club have no real basis in fact. If you look at where we were when Smith & Jones took over the club, we are in a far better position now. Particularly the last 6 or 7 seasons we have spent plenty of time in the Premier League, a big achievement in itself for a club of our size which is always likely to be a Championship/lower Premier League standard. Arguably we''ve therefore been performing about as good as you could reasonably expect by having 5 seasons in 7 in the Premier League and competing for promotion when in the Championship.

It''s a drastic improvement from my recollections of mid-table mediocrity in the late 90''s/early 00''s.

Not to mention that the club is now debt free and is actually capable of signing some pretty expensive players and pay proper wages.

Lack of ambition is also a baseless allegation. The club spends everything it earns. What more do we expect? Risk going bust to have a one season tilt at promotion?

The owners are far from perfect. Mistakes have been made with appointments of managers, CEO''s etc. We should have made more of the Lambert years to establish ourselves in the PL like Stoke, Southampton, West Brom.

But there is no question in my mind that our owners do everything with the best intentions as proper fans of our club. They don''t deserve half the stick that they get on this forum. We are lucky to have them.

I think there are one or two over romantic thoughts about Delia''s stewardship.

Yes of course she stepped in when things were bleak. And for that she needs recognition.

But I think we do have to recognise that we did spend some mediocre years until 2004 under her stewardship.

And indeed we came very close to administration during this reign.

Yes we are in a much better position now than previous but some of those "previouses" were her rsponsibility.

It could be argued that it all changed with that 1-7 against Colchester.

[quote user="keelansgrandad"]I think there are one or two over romantic thoughts about Delia''s stewardship.

Yes of course she stepped in when things were bleak. And for that she needs recognition.

But I think we do have to recognise that we did spend some mediocre years until 2004 under her stewardship.

Yes we are in a much better position now than previous but some of those "previouses" were her rsponsibility.

It could be argued that it all changed with that 1-7 against Colchester.[/quote]To be fair though, I have never seen anyone say they are perfect, as is implied by some.There is a common sense middle ground that recognises they get things right, and they get things wrong. Just exactly the same as any other footballing board.Its just plain daft to say they never get anything right, at all.

I don''t get anyone who believes they don''t have the best interests of the club at heart. Also any suggestion that they''ve taken money out of the club is also ridiculous.

Re: Galway Tom

http://services.pinkun.com/forums/mobilepinkun/cs/forums/1/3435340/ShowPost.aspx#3435340

Wonder how that monorail is coming along?🙄

[quote user="morty"][quote user="keelansgrandad"]I think there are one or two over romantic thoughts about Delia''s stewardship.

It could be argued that it all changed with that 1-7 against Colchester.[/quote]To be fair though, I have never seen anyone say they are perfect, as is implied by some.There is a common sense middle ground that recognises they get things right, and they get things wrong. Just exactly the same as any other footballing board.Its just plain daft to say they never get anything right, at all.[/quote]

Well said Morty

Prior to that 1-7 we had a play off final and championship win. How do the last 15 years bear scrutiny in the light of the majority of our contempories?

Exactly Nige,

There are some of our peers who have arguably achieved better than us. Swansea, Southampton, Leicester, West Brom, Stoke.

But there are so many more who are way worse off. Portsmouth, Sheffield United, Wolves, Fulham, Birmingham, Aston Villa, Forest, Ipswich, Cardiff, QPR, Blackburn, Bolton, Charlton to name just some examples.

We''re not the best of the bunch of what I would call ''medium sized'' clubs in this country, but we are far from the worst.