Sign in to follow this  
Derby Canary

Your turn Delia!

@Morty

Better players. I think Neil and Hughton had enough money to do their jobs but spent badly.

Yes I was excited when we signed Wolfswinkle. But I''m not a professional scout, coach or manager who is paid to actually work out if a player is any good before you spent £8m on them.

@Nutty

I''m not telling them what they should do- I''m offering my opinion of what I think would be best on a message board.

Not too hard to understand?

All the independent press were hailing wolfie as the bargain buy of the season!

Before he played, obviously!

[quote user="morty"]All the independent press were hailing wolfie as the bargain buy of the season!

Before he played, obviously![/quote]

Yes. Just another example where the board lurched into a knee jerk decision, based on the recommendation, no doubt, of a scout with about the same ability to carry out his job as they have. Minus of course, again, the aforementioned ''due diligence''.

[quote user="Derby Canary"][quote user="morty"]All the independent press were hailing wolfie as the bargain buy of the season!

Yes. Just another example where the board lurched into a knee jerk decision, based on the recommendation, no doubt, of a scout with about the same ability to carry out his job as they have. Minus of course, again, the aforementioned ''due diligence''.[/quote]Its not though, is it?He was being hailed, by independent journalists, as the absolute bargain of the season. That happened.

[quote user="morty"][quote user="Derby Canary"][quote user="morty"]All the independent press were hailing wolfie as the bargain buy of the season!

Yes. Just another example where the board lurched into a knee jerk decision, based on the recommendation, no doubt, of a scout with about the same ability to carry out his job as they have. Minus of course, again, the aforementioned ''due diligence''.[/quote]Its not though, is it?He was being hailed, by independent journalists, as the absolute bargain of the season. That happened.[/quote]

Yes it is. Journalists were probably listening to our fans eulogising over this ''dutch wonderkid'' and probably watched the same youtube video. When investing what was then a record investment for our Club far deeper research was required. I will forever remember him in his first presser reply to a sycophantic reporter that ''not everybody loved him''. How right he was, he was one of, if not the most inept player I ever saw pull on a City shirt and I have been following them since 1962!

[quote user="king canary"]I''m not really sure what your point is Morty- what journalists were saying about a player is fairly irrelevant.[/quote]The point is that everyone thought, the club included, that we were getting a great player. So they pretty much did everything they could regarding buying the quality of player we needed.It didn''t work out, but I don''t blame the club for that.

I think it''s hard to blame the board for RvW.
He had a good goalscoring record. 
He was attracting interest from similar clubs.
He was young enough to still improve.
The manager was keen, having been interested in him at his previous club.
We sent scouts out, we reported back.
We signed him.
Not sure where the board are to blame.

Lol i was really happy about the big bad wolf, but it turned out the marketing people were much better than he was:)

That would all be fine if he was a one off. He isn''t.

That season alone we bought in RVW, Hooper, Fer and Elmander. All failures.

The next summer we spent decent money on VOO, Miquel, Lafferty and Andreu. All failures.

There have been some successes in there- Olsson, Redmond, Jerome and Grabban from those seasons. However we consistently get it wrong more than we get it right.

So going back to your original point, I''d say ''sign better players'' is exactly what we should have done differently.

[quote user="king canary"]That would all be fine if he was a one off. He isn''t.

The next summer we spent decent money on VOO, Miquel, Lafferty and Andreu. All failures.

There have been some successes in there- Olsson, Redmond, Jerome and Grabban from those seasons. However we consistently get it wrong more than we get it right.

So going back to your original point, I''d say ''sign better players'' is exactly what we should have done differently.[/quote]Were they?

To be fair we made money on Fer and Hooper helped us with some goals to get us back up - admittedly he didn''t succeed in the prem which is what he was purchased for.
Elmander I thought done the job he was brought in to do.

[quote user="king canary"]Yes. We got relegated and they barely had any impact.[/quote]All easy with hindsight though, isn''t it?

[quote user="morty"][quote user="king canary"]Yes. We got relegated and they barely had any impact.[/quote]All easy with hindsight though, isn''t it?[/quote]

But Morty our Board/Management are paid to get it right more times than otherwise. I am now (and I am sure you are) getting bored with citing endless examples of decisions that they have made that fit the latter, and nothing that I see encourages me that things will change!

[quote user="Derby Canary"][quote user="morty"][quote user="king canary"]Yes. We got relegated and they barely had any impact.[/quote]All easy with hindsight though, isn''t it?[/quote]

But Morty our Board/Management are paid to get it right more times than otherwise. I am now (and I am sure you are) getting bored with citing endless examples of decisions that they have made that fit the latter, and nothing that I see encourages me that things will change![/quote]Nope, you seem firmly entrenched in your misery.Enjoy[Y]

[quote user="king canary"]That would all be fine if he was a one off. He isn''t.

So going back to your original point, I''d say ''sign better players'' is exactly what we should have done differently.[/quote]I think van Wolfswinkel was a one-off failure in a different category to others. Of course some other players can be classed as failures (although I wouldn''t at all agree with all of those on your list and I don''t believe we consistently get it wrong more often that we get it right, and you seem to have no concept of the limitations imposed by the transfer fees and wages we can pay).But van Wolfswinkel did look like a very avoidable mistake. I remember before he joined someone posted a video of about 18 of his goals, and said it showed he scored all sorts of different types. Actually it showed just the opposite - that he only scored one type. If he got the ball in a bit of space in the penalty area then he could hit the target. Fine in a league where you would get that kind of chance often enough, but no good by itself in a higher-quality league where you also needed to make your own opportunities. That video might have been misleading (it didn''t show whether he created goals for others) but if it raised a doubt with me that he would succeed in the Premier League then our scouts should have noticed it too. One had to assume they had satisfied themselves that his overall contribution (the stuff the video didn''t cover) meant he would succeed.But as it happened the video was pretty spot on. There was no other overall contribution, and  the one thing he could do he simply wasn''t good enough to do often enough at the PL level.

[quote user="morty"][quote user="Derby Canary"][quote user="morty"][quote user="king canary"]Yes. We got relegated and they barely had any impact.[/quote]All easy with hindsight though, isn''t it?[/quote]

But Morty our Board/Management are paid to get it right more times than otherwise. I am now (and I am sure you are) getting bored with citing endless examples of decisions that they have made that fit the latter, and nothing that I see encourages me that things will change![/quote]Nope, you seem firmly entrenched in your misery.Enjoy[Y][/quote]

Interesting Morty that this is your usual (and only) reaction to facts that you cannot dispute!

And, of course, you voiced those concerns, at the time, Purple?I''m fairly sure we didn''t spend that kind of money based solely on a youtube clip.

[quote user="Derby Canary"][quote user="morty"][quote user="Derby Canary"][quote user="morty"][quote user="king canary"]Yes. We got relegated and they barely had any impact.[/quote]All easy with hindsight though, isn''t it?[/quote]

But Morty our Board/Management are paid to get it right more times than otherwise. I am now (and I am sure you are) getting bored with citing endless examples of decisions that they have made that fit the latter, and nothing that I see encourages me that things will change![/quote]Nope, you seem firmly entrenched in your misery.Enjoy[Y][/quote]

Interesting Morty that this is your usual (and only) reaction to facts that you cannot dispute![/quote]We can carry on all day if you like, you can quote failures and I can quote things that the board have done right. What the actual truth is that they are somewhere in the middle. Pretty much exactly where every single board , at every single football club in the land, are.

[quote user="morty"][quote user="Derby Canary"][quote user="morty"][quote user="Derby Canary"][quote user="morty"][quote user="king canary"]Yes. We got relegated and they barely had any impact.[/quote]All easy with hindsight though, isn''t it?[/quote]

Interesting Morty that this is your usual (and only) reaction to facts that you cannot dispute![/quote]We can carry on all day if you like, you can quote failures and I can quote things that the board have done right. What the actual truth is that they are somewhere in the middle. Pretty much exactly where every single board , at every single football club in the land, are.

[/quote]

The point is Morty that the CURRENT members have done little right (apart from of course Delia''s original investment).

Our success in recent years came from McNally''s appointment of Lambert and then was funded by the financial rewards of Lambert''s success.

Unless of course you can prove otherwise.

[quote user="Derby Canary"][quote user="morty"][quote user="Derby Canary"][quote user="morty"][quote user="Derby Canary"][quote user="morty"][quote user="king canary"]Yes. We got relegated and they barely had any impact.[/quote]All easy with hindsight though, isn''t it?[/quote]

[/quote]

The point is Morty that the CURRENT members have done little right (apart from of course Delia''s original investment).

Our success in recent years came from McNally''s appointment of Lambert and then was funded by the financial rewards of Lambert''s success.

Unless of course you can prove otherwise.[/quote]So you''re accepting that our board do get things right then, thats a start[Y]

[quote user="Derby Canary"]

Unless of course you can prove otherwise.[/quote]

Didn''t they appoint McNally?

@Purple

I have plenty of understanding of the limitations on what we can spend- I don''t see where you get that from my comment. In fact it is the limitations that make these mistakes so frustrating- unlike most other clubs we can''t just write-off these sorts of mistakes.

The list of our top transfers in terms of spending is pretty poor- RVW, Klose, Brady, Naismith and Pritchard. Right now I''d struggle to say any of them were great successes although Klose has been decent and Brady was sold for a profit.

I''d be interested to know which of those I listed you don''t see as a failure?

@Morty

''Hindsight'' is such a lame argument. As Derby says we''re not paid to get these things right and don''t have anywhere near the time and access information and to assess players.

[quote user="king canary"]@Purple

I have plenty of understanding of the limitations on what we can spend- I don''t see where you get that from my comment. In fact it is the limitations that make these mistakes so frustrating- unlike most other clubs we can''t just write-off these sorts of mistakes.

The list of our top transfers in terms of spending is pretty poor- RVW, Klose, Brady, Naismith and Pritchard. Right now I''d struggle to say any of them were great successes although Klose has been decent and Brady was sold for a profit.

I''d be interested to know which of those I listed you don''t see as a failure?[/quote] Naismith is hitting good form now, and Pritchard is one for the future.Hardly a string of failures....

I meant those listed in the post Purple quoted.

Again, if a club like us pay £8m for a player you expect a bit more than ''hit a bit of form'' in the Championship.

And enough of this ''we signed Pritchard for the future'' rubbish.

[quote user="king canary"]I meant those listed in the post Purple quoted.

Again, if a club like us pay £8m for a player you expect a bit more than ''hit a bit of form'' in the Championship.

And enough of this ''we signed Pritchard for the future'' rubbish
.[/quote]Why is it rubbish? He has been signed as the long term replacement for Wes, but Wes maybe lasting longer than expected is keeping him out of the team.