Sign in to follow this  
lake district canary

Wigan match report

Ok, it''s late, but a quick view from the game.  The main thing I took from the game was that Wigan were like terriors around our players and chased us down all the match, giving our players no time to get their passing game going.  There was way too much head tennis - embarrassingly at times - and it was one of those tight fought matches where Wigan did well enough at the ugly side of the game and had the goal scorer they have been lacking - which was unfortunate for us.  So Wigan were not that bad imo.  As far as Norwich were concerned, it was frustrating to see so many hoof balls forwward - although CJ and Oliveira did well at times to cause Wigan a few problems.   Mulumbu tried hard and competed well, but it seemed hardly any of his passes went to one of our players.  Howson had a quiet game imo, Wildschut couldn''t get into the game and was rightly subbed.  The defence looked to do ok most of the game - I couldn''t see Wigan''s goals that well from the other end of the ground  - those that saw it on TV will have had a better view.  The second half was a bit of a non event from us for about twenty minutes. Standing at the far end there was nothing to get enthusiastic at all - and the goals were plainly going to come - we just seemed not to be able to get hold of the ball at all.    I give some credit to Wigan for that, but we did fight back eventually and Dijks - who had a good game imo - came up with the equaliser.A good turn out from the fans I think, but it was frustrating to watch how we struggled at times.  I thought the subs were ok - Josh nearly scored at the end and overall a point is a point against a team who gave it their all.  Onwards and upwards! 

[quote user="Greavsy"]Hope you enjoyed seeing y/our team, in the flesh, LDC.[/quote][Y]  Always enjoy going to a match.  Wigan midweek is not the most inspiring place, with it''s half empty stands and some moron hitting a drum for 90 minutes, but worth the trip and at least we got a hard earned point.  

LDC How did Wildschut go ?

I thought we should have played Josh Murphy. Just because he''s new doesn''t mean he''s better than those that are here. Anyone put off their game by a hand full of fans shouldn''t be playing professional football.

Anything in his performance to indicate he''s more than an average championship player ?

I think it''s fair to say Wigan had a bit of spirit about them but I do maintain they''re probably the worst home side I''ve seen this season. Particularly that first hour where their central midfield repeatedly passed the ball out of play or straight to us.

Having slept on it definitely two points dropped rather than one gained but with 2 home games coming up we can still maintain the points average we need.

Reversion to type.

Over-attacking over-exposed line up against a perceived weak side. Street-bullying tactics that even very weak sides can exploit by 2D attacking into channels, hence the half-time Wigan switch to 2 up front.

A high attacking wide player (Wildschutt), plus Pritchard tucking inside, two strikers, Pinto plus Howson driving.

Another line up as if he opposition don''t exist. Alex Neil reins in his instincts, concedes to focus on defensive shape out of possession and positional responsibility and we pick up points and play much better.

The minute the burning heat of under-achievement is damped he reverts. Not signs of learning. Signs of I was (still) right all along.

Parma

Thanks Lakey for your thoughts, glad you got to see them play up your way and hope you enjoyed it even though we didn''t win.

I watched in at the beamback, great atmosphere, thought Wigan were very poor other than Bogle who looks like a great buy for just under £1m.

We pretty much controlled the game other than the first 20 mins of the 2nd half when we hadn''t come out of the starting blocks. Their two goals were due to poor defending and I though Ruddy should have done better for both goals. Thought Mulumbu and Pritchard who came in for Tettey & Wes had decent games but man of the match for me was Nelson,

Of the two new players Dijks is as Alex said a beast, would''nt mess with him and a great buy, Yanic had a poor game but perhaps needs a bit more time to find his feet.

2 points dropped but we''d have taken 4 pts from 6 for 2 away games a month ago.

£5 for the beamback including a drink and pie was great value, great picture with Radio Norfolk commentary. Cant comment on pie as gave the vouchers away to two nice ladies as we''d eaten in Yellows

Two home games coming up, hope Naismith is fit to come back into the team plus Wes, 6 points would propel us back into the play offs so plenty still to play for

@Parma - I disagree a little with that. I don''t think their goals came due to over attacking, they came during a period after half time where we had dropped our intensity, were not keeping hold of the ball and had dropped off. We actually did very much the same at Cardiff on Saturday but got away with it there. I have no idea if this was due to instructions at half time (i.e. keep it tight, hold what we have) or more down to the players but we are not good enough at defending to let the opposition have the ball and build pressure for long periods. Would prefer to have seen us stay on the front foot and hunt down a second goal.

I do agree though with "as if the opposition don''t exist" or in this case more "not being able to read and respond tactically" during the game. Their manager made a proactive sub at half time which changed the momentum and changed the game. By the time we responded to that they had scored two goals at the end of a period of 15-20 minutes of them dominating a game we had completely controlled prior to that.

Wow and no mention of the ref ??? Goal not offside, no pen when Oliviera was pulled down in the box, pulled it back for a free kick when the advantage gave us 4 on 3,

That ref has given more red and yellow cards than any other in the league this season, he was appalling......

[quote user="Lessingham Canary"]Thanks Lakey, i see Pritchard was in for Wes, how did he do ? who was your MOTM ?[/quote]Pritchard had a good game I think, but the link up play wasn''t great by any of the team for most of the match.  MOTM......hard to say, none of them really excelled - Klose was a positive influence, pinging bals up to the two attackers, Oliveira''s goal was a terrific twisting header, but Dijks showed good determination all the match - and scored, so I guess he would have it, for me.

[quote user="Tim Dawson"]Wow and no mention of the ref ??? Goal not offside, no pen when Oliviera was pulled down in the box, pulled it back for a free kick when the advantage gave us 4 on 3,

That ref has given more red and yellow cards than any other in the league this season, he was appalling......[/quote]

We couldn''t tell the goal was offside or not from the other end of the ground, although it "felt" as if he must have been onside.  The ref made bizarre decisons all match, could have been a penalty on Oliveira, but we were lucky a couple of times he didn''t blow his whistle at our end, so I guess it balanced out..

I''ve got to agree with Diane about the second goal - why do keepers set up the wall and then move behind it as the kick is taken. if JR had stayed put he would of easily saved it. - all keepers seem to do this though not just JR it must be instinctive.

The first rule of keeping is if you come for a ball you''ve got to get it - if you don''t think you will don''t come, I''m not sure JR was in a position to come for there first goal- see our second goal!

There are highlights on You tube.

[quote user="Six Pack"]LDC How did Wildschut go ?

I thought we should have played Josh Murphy. Just because he''s new doesn''t mean he''s better than those that are here. Anyone put off their game by a hand full of fans shouldn''t be playing professional football.

Anything in his performance to indicate he''s more than an average championship player ?[/quote]

I thought playing Wildschut was a mistake - it was just too close to his move. He looked uncomfortable and not able to get into the game, but I wouldn''t judge his ability on that game alone.  Murphy was muc brighter when he came on and could have score the winner. 

My summary was its grime up north, nice stadium way to big for club, annoying drummer, poor catering, traffic management non existent

Let''s of fit in our team performance but not good enough to make the playoffs

Neil hasn''t a clue how and when to make a substitution

Neil out

[quote user="Mr Cholmondley Warner"]My summary was its grime up north, nice stadium way to big for club, annoying drummer, poor catering, traffic management non existent

Let''s of fit in our team performance but not good enough to make the playoffs

Neil hasn''t a clue how and when to make a substitution

Neil out[/quote]

Apart from that life treating you well ?

The Great Drinkell wrote the following post at 08/02/2017 9:55 AM:

Greavsy, there is another link and you can play spot the ball, all you can see is the players from the waist up!

It''s like a restricted view ticket for the camera man. Surprising really, given how much space there was in the seats.

Thanks for posting the link.

The catering was poor because it was the last day for the current supplier, they are being replaced next week.Nuff Said - First With All The Critical News

[quote user="Lessingham Canary"]LDC; thanks for the feedback ref players etc; Big question is, based on last night do you believe we are capable of finishing in top 2 still?.[/quote][:D]

[quote user="Lessingham Canary"]LDC; thanks for the feedback ref players etc; Big question is, based on last night do you believe we are capable of finishing in top 2 still?.[/quote]Yes, but less so - we need to win games like last night.Also meant to mention the lady in front of me with a pink woolly hat on - got the loudest voice I''ve heard - and not afraid to use it!  Kudos!

How boring it would be, if everything reverted to type, nothing to strive for, no ambition or upsets.

Aim high, reach for stretching targets, and who knows what you might acheive.

Made exactly that point yesterday Mr CW, how much of an overhaul would be required if we did reach the promised land, and that a season of getting the youngster''s/new signings blooded in, might be better In the long run.