Sign in to follow this  
Crazy Eddie

SAF: "THERE IS NO PROBLEM PLAYING THROUGH RAMADAN"

[quote]No problem!? How can a player have the same fitness levels when he doesn''t eat during daylight hours? I don''t think we''ll see much of Saf during ramadan[/quote]

How do you know DD? Have you ever practiced fasting during Ramadan?
Smacks of lack of knowledge to me.
He can eat before sunrise and after sunset - many people would eat 2 of their 3 meals a day at these times anyway.

Depends if Worthy hammers him in training...as long as Saf gets plenty of sustenance into him outside of daylight hours, he should be OK for a game.    It would be interesting to know if he will use his travels too and from training as an excuse to get some additional calories into him - as I believe that Islam allows for someone to break the fast if they are travelling?

[quote]How do you know DD? Have you ever practiced fasting during Ramadan? Smacks of lack of knowledge to me. He can eat before sunrise and after sunset - many people would eat 2 of their 3 meals a day at th...[/quote]

Ok Herb.  I''ll hold my hands up here.  I''m not an expert on Ramadan!  However, can you imagine training and playing competative matches without being allowed to take on any water whatsoever?  I normally neck a bottle of water every time I go to the gym for an hour!  Ok, I''m sure Saf has trained his body well.  But to not eat and drink between 7am and 7pm (ballpark figures) and do as much physical training as he will be doing, I can''t see how a human body can keep functioning to the same level

I can see the same thing happening this season as it did last - he''ll be an unused sub during Saturday''s games and may see some action (but not much) in the evening games.

Its not just food, its probably water as well (devout Muslims won''t drink water, they just wash their mouths out which is allowed, some less devout ones will). I don''t think Saf will be taking on any liquids, and that is bound to affect him.

I haven''t heard of any let-off''s for travelling, and I have travelled with Muslims before and seen them refuse an airplane meal (I used to travel a lot to the Middle East for work).

So there will be a problem, but if he is used to it and thinks he can cope, its his body and he should know best!

[quote]Depends if Worthy hammers him in training...as long as Saf gets plenty of sustenance into him outside of daylight hours, he should be OK for a game. It would be interesting to know if he will use h...[/quote]

Safri''s a fairly straight forward guy, I''m not sure that this travelling exception exists, but if so I think it would be considered a bit of a cheat. Some less devout muslims will take liquids during the day, Saf isn''t one of them, he is devout as they come. I think it''s safe to say he won''t be eating or drinking a thing during daylight hours.

Whether this means he isn''t deemed fit to play remains to be seen. He thinks he can do it, will the manager let him try?

Then again, Ashton thought he was fit to play against Hull :-S

Who knows best?

Meeky/gazzathegreat - If I recall properly I think you said you were at a fans forum when Safri said the direct opposite of this?  That he could play through but it left him feeling weak and not able to perform at 100%?

Apologies if I got this wrong...

As for will worthy pick him - if he will play ashton with concussion and a depressed skull fracture but not Safri for ramandan it would tell us a lot about where he rates energy levels.  

OTBC 

[quote]Safri''s a fairly straight forward guy, I''m not sure that this travelling exception exists, but if so I think it would be considered a bit of a cheat. Some less devout muslims will take liquids during ...[/quote]

Exactly right Eddie, Deano did think he was fit and quite clearly was not.  I am pretty sure Saf will not be picked in the starting 11.

He''s playing so well at the moment that I can''t see how he can be left out.

Perhaps if he shows signs of being affected when he plays, then maybe he should be dropped or subbed, but frankly I think he should play even if not fully fit.

Must be a bit of a nightmare playing and not being able to drink any water though. Maybe he could absorb it in some other way...

[quote]He''s playing so well at the moment that I can''t see how he can be left out. Perhaps if he shows signs of being affected when he plays, then maybe he should be dropped or subbed, but frankly I think h...[/quote]

Good point BIC - is it a nil by mouth requirement of the koran or can we set up a drip to get the energy into him!?!

OTBC 

Can you imagine how hard it will be in a few years time as Ramadan slides closer and closer to the start of the season, more and more hours of daylight.

On Tuesday sunrise will be at 6:59 and sunset 18:28. I know I''d find it difficult to go without food or water for eleven and a half hours, so fair play to Safri for doing so. Still at least it gets easier by 4 minutes every day!!

I''m no expert on Ramadan, but if Safri thinks he can play then he should be allowed to do so. He is so important to us that unless it is a physical impossibility (or a dangerous risk) he must play.

Anyone know whether he played for Coventry during this period?

Our next 4 games could reveal a lot about the likely way this season will map out. Away at Brighton (we must win there if we want to be serious contenders), Millwall at home (same), then Luton away (very difficult game and a draw would probably be welcome) and QPR away (again, a harder game but the sort we need to win). Safri will be essential for those results.

If Worthy ''leaves it up to the lad'' (Ashton), then he should do the same for Safri surely?

yes pete, but this is worthington...

he has got to play, otherwise we wont have a midfield...

Ramadan moves each year, and is getting earlier I think by about 2 weeks each year. When Saf was at Coventry, perhaps sunset was early enough for him to have a drink at half time. The earlier it gets, the longer the day, so the more difficult it will get for him to function without food or water.

Exact time of Ramadan this year is Oct 5th until Nov 4th.

Also found this out:

"According to the Holy Quran:

One may eat and drink at any time during the night "until you can plainly distinguish a white thread from a black thread by the daylight: then keep the fast until night"

(With my eyes this would be a problem)

"The good that is acquired through the fast can be destroyed by five things -

the telling of a lie
("I never touched him ref!")
slander
("you diving @!%!")
denouncing someone behind his back
(so you can still clap in someone''s face)
a false oath
("I''ll never touch him again ref!")
greed or covetousness
(don''t expect to see him snatching the ball for a pen or free kick then)

I''m sure Worhty will pick him if he''s fit to play. The evening games should be okay - he''ll be hungry but can take on fluids before and during the game okay. The Saturday games might be harder but we''ve only got 3 of them. He''ll need to eat plenty the night before and before dawn I guess, but the fluids are the harder thing. We may see him tire in games and need subbing.

Now''s the time for Jarrett to get his act together....

Forgive me if I am wrong but I fairly certain that W had a bust up with YS last year over the very issue of Ramadan when YS refused to compromise his beliefs.

It seems that this year it is being handled in a much more sensitive manner with YS coming right out with what Ramadan is all about to him.

Realistically, you cannot expect an athelete to perform if he cannot take on food and water at the correct times before, during and after physical exertion. That being so, subs bench at best would seem the likely outcome.

Common sense tells me, that fasting such as Saffri will have to endure, is bound to have some effect on his performance in matches. Surely there is a risk of partial dehydration with this abstention from fluids? If it was me, I would be in a right state if I was inadequately hydrated - but then I tend to sweat profusely if I exert myself. I noticed yesterday''s EDP printed a picture of a rather sweaty looking Saffri taking a refreshing drink from a water bottle during a match.