Sign in to follow this  
morty

Old pic of Carrow Road.

Very lucky, and while probably less people employed in that area now, other jobs have materialized in other area''s of the city as a result, and the area now is an attraction for visiting the fine city, so quite lucky really.

[quote user="morty"][quote user="Number 9"]When Boulton and Paul + all the old railway sheds were pulled down, a whole load of little microbe crap eaters were put over the site to decontaminate it.

They were munching away for quite a long while before construction began.[/quote]What did Boulton and Paul actually produce? Way before my time living here.[/quote]

In our kitchen used to be an array of cupboards made by Boulton and Paul.

Loving this thread (well, most of it)

Morty, could you please put up the pictures of the women streakers we had? (That is just for TCCanary of course!)

Was going to mention the kitchens too, but wasn''t sure if that was the grey matter playing tricks!!!

[quote user="Number 9"][quote user="morty"][quote user="Number 9"]When Boulton and Paul + all the old railway sheds were pulled down, a whole load of little microbe crap eaters were put over the site to decontaminate it.

They were munching away for quite a long while before construction began.[/quote]What did Boulton and Paul actually produce? Way before my time living here.[/quote]

In our kitchen used to be an array of cupboards made by Boulton and Paul.[/quote]

During WW1 and WW2 they produced Aircraft.

Anybody else remember the cushions we used to hire on match days, if the linesman or ref made a dosgy decison they would rain down on the pitch. happy days.

[quote user="CANARYKING"]Back in the sixties I used to stand behind one goal then at half time walk all the way round to stand behind the other for the second half ( unless it was raining when you got drenched in the open river end.)[/quote]

The Barclay end was more expensive because you were under cover. In those days the rest of the ground apart from the main stand was open to the elements but you could get a transfer to the Barclay for sixpence. If you waited to just after half time you could transfer for nothing but you had to dodge Russell Allison.In the early sixties I often used to change ends with the team at halftime so I was always close to the end we were attacking.

[quote user="Lessingham Canary"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OFa4EMYDVMQ

Right company, wrong factory, last one of the line.

Sorry no clicky[/quote]That is probably their other factory near Wolverhampton.

the construction of carrow road - 1935 (sorry, can''t do the clicky)

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2015/jul/28/norwich-city-carrow-road-80th-birthday

[quote user="Crabbycanary3"]Loving this thread (well, most of it)

Morty, could you please put up the pictures of the women streakers we had? (That is just for TCCanary of course!)[/quote]Absolutely.Real pity you can''t see this TC, she''s a stunner.[URL=http://s869.photobucket.com/user/mortymccarthy/media/Ipswichfan.jpg.html][IMG]http://i869.photobucket.com/albums/ab257/mortymccarthy/Ipswichfan.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

I was told Boulton & Paul also produced wartime gun turrets for aircraft named the Sidestrand'' and the ''Overstrand.''

BTW did anyone know Churchill was holidaying in Overstrand when he was informed of the outbreak of WW1.

I''m sure most people know Albert Einstein lived at Roughton during WW2.

[quote user="Woodman"]https://joemasonspage.wordpress.com/2011/11/28/the-port-of-norwich/

The ship in the main pic is moored outside where the Ferry Boat pub was/is, opposite the leisure centre. Actually, mentioning pubs, there were 3 close by the ground - the Clarence Harbour, the Ferry Boat and The Kingsway. Clarence was always the ''away'' pub as I recall (which was where the new terrace houses have been built on the left coming down the hill at the Barclay end.[/quote]You have forgotten The Jolly Maltsters that stood on the opposite corner to The Kingway.

Have just ''wasted'' the best part of an hour on this thread. Some great photographs here, and the Norwich Union video is brilliant. Thanks to everyone taking the trouble to post them.

[quote user="Marchant"]Have just ''wasted'' the best part of an hour on this thread. Some great photographs here, and the Norwich Union video is brilliant. Thanks to everyone taking the trouble to post them.[/quote]If you have a look on youtube there are quite a few similar videos.

@ Morty, as Lessingham said windows was their main production for some time.  I can remember going in there and buying frames for an extension we were having built for our house in Poringland in the 70s.Another interesting product funnily enough was featured on the Today program only 2 days ago, when this guy was on who''d made loadsamoney rennovating original Shepherds Huts.  He said Boulton and Paul of Norwich became very well known for making flat pack versions of them and distributing them all over the country.  Can''t remember the era, but it was one of the first ''flat pack'' designs.

[quote user="TIL 1010"][quote user="Woodman"]https://joemasonspage.wordpress.com/2011/11/28/the-port-of-norwich/

The ship in the main pic is moored outside where the Ferry Boat pub was/is, opposite the leisure centre. Actually, mentioning pubs, there were 3 close by the ground - the Clarence Harbour, the Ferry Boat and The Kingsway. Clarence was always the ''away'' pub as I recall (which was where the new terrace houses have been built on the left coming down the hill at the Barclay end.[/quote]You have forgotten The Jolly Maltsters that stood on the opposite corner to The Kingway.[/quote]The Jolly Maltsters - 1983You can spot The Kingsway in the background.

FA Cup 6th Round v Leicester March 1963 and the record crowd of 43,894 including me on the perimeter track in this photo.Image may contain: one or more people, people playing sports and outdoor