Sign in to follow this  
Splendid Rush

Will Davenport be a Hucks or a Crouch?

What do people think?

Will he sign for us on a permanent basis and become a legend, albiet within the modest City set up?

Or will he finish his loan spell, go back to Spurs, play fairly well, get sold to a soon to be relegated club, get signed by the Champions of Europe and then be Man of the Match in a high profile Champions'' League game?

At the end of the day, Spurs don''t really need him.  They have defenders in abundance.  IMO they will finish in the Euro spots this season and therefore will probably buy even more quality for next season.  Now having said all that, I think they will be looking to get a good price for him.  He cost them about £3M.  I think they would be looking for £2M.  Personally, I don''t know if we can afford that.  My biggest worry is that he''ll do really well for us and go back to Spurs in January.  They will say you can have him for £X, we''ll say we can''t afford that and then a struggling Prem club (WBA, Wigan, Pompey, Sunderland take your pick) will meet Spurs asking price

Call me cynical but that''s how I think it will unfold

Seems keen on staying here, but will take £3m to get him, not sure any other Championship team can afford that but come January there will be some Prem teams needing to strengthen, however will they know how good Dav is?, probably not.

£2m available for Morrison as down payment may get him, but remember that will be shrunk by loan signings. Possible scenario may be Dean to Spurs for £2/3 m plus Dav and Rasiak may not be such bad business. 

Seems keen on staying here, but will take £3m to get him, not sure any other Championship team can afford that but come January there will be some Prem teams needing to strengthen, however will they know how good Dav is?, probably not.

£2m available for Morrison as down payment may get him, but remember that will be shrunk by loan signings. Possible scenario may be Dean to Spurs for £2/3 m plus Dav and Rasiak may not be such bad business. 

I heard that Spurs have only paid £1.1M so far and the rest is due in stages after X appearances. (I don''t know if its true). They could therefore sell him for anything above that and make a profit.
A similar thing happened when Norwich sold Bellamy to Coventry. He didn''t play enough before they sold him to trigger the last one or two payments.

IF we sign davenport it has to strengthen the squad we have rather than being bought after selling another.  If we can keep deano and but davenport then fine - but if it a choice between the two its ashton every time.

OTBC  

Where does Raziak come into the Ashton for cash and players come from?

Surely it would be Ashton for cash + Davenport or Davenport/Marney that would make most appeal to Spurs - if indeed they do want Ashton.

Then we have to decide where we are best served in terms of our existing squad - without a promising centre-half or a promising striker?

I think I''d keep Ashton and let Shacks get settled in with Doc once he''s got the highs and lows of learning in the last 6 months out of his system and his batteries re-charged.

If the defence continues to perform as it has since Davenport arrived, then we will surely be in a top six position.

We WILL then surely find the money to buy him, as we did with Hucks, because the lure of Premiership cash will be on the horizon and fuel the desire to make the necessary £m available. 

[quote]Can''t deny your optimism Jim but surely in Top 6, on what do you base that prophecy?[/quote]

Well Peter,

Since the advent of Davenport, we have conceded 1 goal or less per game, continuing to do no worse than this should certainly keep the points rolling in and as we are currently only FIVE points away from 6th. place I feel that that position is at the very least attainable !

I rest my case M''lord.

My heart says we should do a Hucks, but my head tells me it will be a Crouch.

It is not just a case of the transfer fee, it is also a case of the wages that Dav would expect and I doubt we will splash out that much -shame

But aren''t we already paying his wages? I thought these loan deals always involved the loaning club take over the player''s pay packet for however long he was at the club. If so, we''ve already met his wage demands - the concern comes from how much it would cost to keep him here. He was signed before Martin Jol became manager, so let''s hope he''s decided he doesn''t want him at Spurs and is prepared to just cut his losses...

Peter Gates - "Possible scenario may be Dean to Spurs for £2/3 m plus Dav and Rasiak may not be such bad business. "

You''ve posted this somewhere else, I think. What drugs are you on?
Firstly, I can''t think why we would want to sell Deano, if we''re in a position to sign Davenport that would suggest we were doing well - ergo no need to sell Ashton.
Secondly, Raziak was a Martin Jol summer signing - I don''t think he would be sold after such a short time at the club.
A better piece of business would be to gamble on a £2million bid in January with only half up front and half in a year, that should be within our financial reach.