Sign in to follow this  
TheMarshmallowMan

The 4-3-3; Would it be more effective against Brighton and Millwall than 4-4-2?

Against Brighton and Millwall, I''ve been thinking about whether it might be an idea to switch from the 4-4-2 to the 4-3-3 and make our better quality count.

Right now, we seem to be playing more of a diamond than anything else, utilising Safri as a holding midfielder and Huckerby behind the front two. Against Hull, we reverted back to our normal 4-4-2, with - as most would agree - decent results.

However, a quick glance at both Millwall and Brighton reveal them to be "typical" lower Championship teams, utilising two big, strong but slow center backs to out muscle opposition. Up front, both teams rely on playing up through the center, the wingers seemingly not having much joy.

It is this sort of opposition we, more than any other team in this division, should be relishing. It is also, IMO, the ideal opposition to employ the 4-3-3 against.

The 4-3-3, consisting of;

Green

Colin Doc Davenport Drury

Marney Safri Hughes

McVeigh Lisbie/Ashton Huckerby

A result of the above would mean a strong defensive set up that between Doc and Davenport has the pace to deal with Kazim-Richards and Knight at Brighton, and the strength to deal with Asaba and Hayles at Millwall. Play will be stifled by the defensive minded trio of Marney, Safri and Hughes and McVeigh, Hucks and Lisbie will give more than enough pace to cause Brighton all sorts of problems, and with Ashton''s return, will offer a target man to hopefully feed the ball to against Millwall.

Anyone agree?  

It is hard to justify any move away from what is working well at the moment, we should play our own game and let these two teams worry about what we are going to do rather than bigup these sides. 

However..  I would prefer my long suggested 4-2-3-1. 

Greeno

Colin  Doc  Daveport  Drury

Hughes  Safri

Marney      hux   McVeigh

Lisbie

Hughes and Safri would restrict the space knight would have to move in as well as blocking the supply.  Going forward the front 4 can use their pace and movement to cause problems...

OTBC 

My concern here Zipper is whether Lisbie is the right sort of target man. I could see this working with Deano, but a sole striker needs somebody strong who is good at holding the ball up well and laying it off. I am not sure Lisbie is right for this. Thorne may be able to do it, but he too is injured.

I would tinker with it a bit and put Hux up with Lisbie and put McVeigh in the hole behind them with Marney on the right and Hughes on the left.

Then I would Safri in the centre sitting just in front of the defence, much as Makalele does for Chelsea.

That would end up with a 4-1-3-2 formation and free up McVeigh who can be a little terrier, but who isn''t tall enough to play out and out striker.

Thus:

Green

Colin Doc Lindsay Drury

Safri

Marney McVeigh Hughes

Lisbie Hux

Tumbleweed - I like the 4-1-3-2 and have previously suggested it myself! However, given our poor form and lack of consistency, I would stick with 4-4-2 for now.

Having said that, from the radio commentary it sounded like Lisbie can hold the ball up, am I wrong here?

Naturally I would prefer ashton in my formation but rightly he is not available for the weekend.  If Marcus and Darren Bent can both play a 1 man lead role, neither fames for their aerial ability, we should be able to make it work with Lisbie, who has played that role for Charlton.

The key is to use him as the striker rather than a target man and pass the ball rather than hoofing it.

As I said the diamond is working for us and having played so many formations/combinations of players that have not worked for us feel it would be wrong to abandon it now.  Let Brighton and Millwall worry about us, rather than us worry about them.

OTBC

The key Zipper is whether we can play the ball on the ground to Lisbie. If so then it might work, however we do tend to do too much hoofing.

Tumbleweed, you''re spot on there. Perhaps having Deano out for a week or two (and against theoretically weaker sides) may prove to be a blessing in disguise. Without a tall target man, we''re going to have to pass the ball from the back four through the midfield and into the strikers; if we can get back to that style (and the first half on Tuesday suggests that we can), then Deano will have the sort of service that if prefers upon his return.

[quote]The key Zipper is whether we can play the ball on the ground to Lisbie. If so then it might work, however we do tend to do too much hoofing.[/quote]

As usual I find myself agreeing with you tumbleweed - our midfield does not have the necessary guile to get the ball to lisbies feet enough of the time to make it work.

Hoepfully you are right link - ashtons enforced absence may make us revert to a better all round game, as did hux absence introducing WLY again.

OTBC  

i''d like to see (but probably won''t)

GREEN

COLIN          DOHERTY              DAVENPORT         DRURY

HUGHES         SAFRI             BRENNAN

MCVEIGH

HENDERSON          HUCKERBY

its about time henderson got a first (i think) start up front, and i think brennan has played better than marney on the whole this season.