Sign in to follow this  
ricardo

Ricardo's report v Forest

A cold, grey, raw winters day here in Norfolk so the decision to press the thermal pants into their first action of the season was any easy one to make. On the team selection front, AN can be excused for using the Tombola machine again, what with Tuesdays important game on the horizon. There was no place for Jerome or new boy Wildshut while Josh was given a run-out and surprisingly both Wes and Pritchard started.The opening exchanges were all rather untidy with Mulumbu scuffing a shot wide from the edge of the Forest box before dribbling the ball clear in his own area when the visitors threatened. We didn''t have to wait long for the serious action though as in the 9th minute Pritchard''s cross spun up off a Forest defender and fell nicely for Johnny Howson on the edge of the "D" and the City midfielder struck a spectacular volley that flew past keeper Henderson''s despairing grasp into the top left hand corner.The goal livened the crowd and as City began to dominate proceedings the Forest defence was looking decidedly unsure. In the 16th minute Ref Scott Duncan played a good advantage as a City player was fouled and Wes picked up the loose ball. A neat ball found Murphy running into the area and as the angle closed, the City youngster netted from about eight yards for two nil.Now, here is a cautionary tale for those who decide that after goal celebrations is an ideal time to nip out for a quick pee. I am sorry to admit that Wes''s third goal will always be a mystery to me because an enormous roar went up whilst I was still fumbling with my thermals. I''ve lost count of the number of times that this happens and am unsure whether I''m just unlucky or that the tablets are working to well. The Forest keeper was injured in the goal incident and we had a long delay before play resumed with the substitute goalie. He was quickly in action catching a cross in fine style and palming a Pritchard 20 yarder round the post.City''s movement at this stage was too much for the visitors and the ref was rather too lenient IMO when a yellow card ought to have been shown for a number of desperate fouls. Mitchell Djiks thought he had scored with a towering header only to be denied by a goal line clearance and when Oliviera spun away on the left of the box there were shouts for a penalty as the ball was scrambled clear off a Forest hand. The only moment of danger for City was a free kick that was glanced just wide of Ruddy''s far post.As we moved into the seven minutes added time City seemed to take their foot off the gas and Forest eventually came forward with a bit of purpose. Thankfully the City back line held firm and John Ruddy was not called into any serious action and we were able to enjoy a worry free halftime break.Forest put a bit more into it as the second period began and Ruddy had to be quick off his line when a through ball almost caught the defence napping. In truth the opening ten or so minutes were quite dull with very little from City who seemed to be taking a breather. Lichaj was very lucky to only see a yellow when pulling back Oliviera in a central position, when he looked clean through.Then suddenly on the hour mark Pritchard, who had had an ordinary first half, burst forward in the inside right position. The Forest defenders backed off as he drove into the area and the little City dynamo needed no second invitation to power in a shot at the near post. It ought to have got even better when Wes had acres of space in the area only to decide to waltz with the keeper when a positive strike might have been the better option.With twenty minutes left Lichaj committed one rash tackle too many and could have no complaints at finally seeing red. It should have been a cue to opening the flood gates but with Dijks off for Bennett and then Wes off for Wildshut it was ten man Forest that struck the next goal. McCormack who had just replaced Assombalonga had all the time in the world to clip a ball past John Ruddy and get the visitors on the scorecard.There were still numerous chances for the Canaries but the combinations that worked so well in the first period just didn''t synch in the second half. We had to wait until the last minute before Pritchard struck a terrific twenty yarder for number five and to cap his excellent second half performance. Its hard to quibble at five goals but once again I find myself reporting that it could easily have been seven or eight.Most would give MOM to Pritchard I guess but for me it has to be Johnny Howson for a sumptuous opener and a performance where he never put a foot wrong. Also top marks for Olly who didn''t score but pulled the Forest defence all over the show and Michel Dijks who looked a really good player.

[quote user="Lessingham Canary"]Ricardo, you are in for a treat when you see Wes''s goal, pretty special. Good report as always, although i thought Pritchard just deserved MOTM ![/quote]I had a long range viewing on the big screen at halftime, sorry to miss it.Yes I expect most will go for Pritchard. I thought his first half performance was not up to scratch however.

Thanks Ricardo, enjoyable read as always.

Brilliant game today and some fantastic goals and performances all round. Almost forgot how cold it was at one point!

Disagree on Pritchard, thought he was good throughout. Also no mention of Josh who really surprised me today. Much more physical and direct than I remember.

Not sure I''ve seen 5 goals of such high quality in any Norwich game, a real treat.

Really liked the look of Tshibola. Would be a good addition. Touch of arrogance with good awareness in a key CDM role where we could improve.

Parma

I forgot to mention that Mr Carrow was in the bar shortly after half time. They announced that he had left the ground 5 minutes later.

Perhaps he couldn''t manage to get a drink.

Thanks Ricardo. Howson was MOTM for me as well, didn''t really put a foot wrong and ran the midfield. And that goal....

Pritchard had probably his best game, but it was mostly second half, first half was Wes. What a great day all round though, we even won with the handball game.

ricardo wrote the following post at 11/02/2017 10:15 PM:

I forgot to mention that Mr Carrow was in the bar shortly after half time. They announced that he had left the ground 5 minutes later.

Perhaps he couldn''t manage to get a drink.

Perhaps he wanted the scampi???

[8]One Mr Carrow, theres only one Mr Carrow[8]On another note, mate of mine was in the Coach and horses and said there was Forest fans back in there at 40 minutes, after having left early[:D]

Only attending occasionally, with long gaps in between, can possibly sometimes make differences more apparent than to regulars. At my previous game (Huddersfield Town), which was during that bad run, with Neil''s hold on his job looking increasingly tenuous, the atmosphere was depressingly sepuchral right from the start. Perhaps a combination of fans being fearful of what would happen and being conflicted as to what they wanted to happen. Yesterday, although not raising the roof, the fans were noisily supportive from the kick-off, and didn''t need goals to get them going.

[quote user="PurpleCanary"]Only attending occasionally, with long gaps in between, can possibly sometimes make differences more apparent than to regulars. At my previous game (Huddersfield Town), which was during that bad run, with Neil''s hold on his job looking increasingly tenuous, the atmosphere was depressingly sepuchral right from the start. Perhaps a combination of fans being fearful of what would happen and being conflicted as to what they wanted to happen. Yesterday, although not raising the roof, the fans were noisily supportive from the kick-off, and didn''t need goals to get them going.[/quote]
Confidence on the pitch = confidence in the terraces.

[quote user="PurpleCanary"]Only attending occasionally, with long gaps in between, can possibly sometimes make differences more apparent than to regulars. At my previous game (Huddersfield Town), which was during that bad run, with Neil''s hold on his job looking increasingly tenuous, the atmosphere was depressingly sepuchral right from the start. Perhaps a combination of fans being fearful of what would happen and being conflicted as to what they wanted to happen. Yesterday, although not raising the roof, the fans were noisily supportive from the kick-off, and didn''t need goals to get them going.[/quote]I should have added a prediction. That if we genuinely get into the top six (ie with no-one below having games in hand to overtake us) we will stay there.

"That if we genuinely get into the top six (ie with no-one below having games in hand to overtake us) we will stay there."or"When we finally get into the top six (ie with no-one below having games in hand to overtake us) we will finish there."When we genuinely get into the top six (ie with no-one below having games in hand to overtake us) we will finish there.

Well what a treat I had, well worth my long drive from Weymouth.

Thought Pritchard had a really good game and deserved MOM.

And was really impressed with Dijk... he looks to be a class act!!!

And to top things off England beat the Welsh, managed to catch the second halve in the Icean