Sign in to follow this  
Graham Paddons Beard

Howson's Volley

Can''t disagree with that NBS. There was some great football that season as a whole.

I can''t see anyone, in World football, bettering (!!) that yesterday, for technique alone.

[quote user="GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary"][quote user="norfolkbroadslim"][quote user="GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary"]certainly one of the best I''ve seen at Carrow Rd.

.....the best ever though would still be Goss'' away at Leeds in ''93.

I was sat right behind it at the other end, and whereas Howson today had to catch it with the outside of his foot to cut accross the ball in order keep it below the bar....Goss caught it full on , with full power ,the fact it hit the underside of the bar on the way in also made it look better...[/quote]

I agree about Goss'' goal at Leeds, however I''d like to add that the oft forgotten and seldom shown build up to it, the many passes that led up to it, contributed to what made it the best goal for me.  Also not forgetting that it was part of one of the most complete Norwich displays ever, winning 4 - 0 away at the reigning league champions!Goss certainly had a ferocious hit on him - [url]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_-psiElPI1I[/url][/quote]

agreed it was one helluva away victory.....although sadly it can''t be claimed against the reigning champions....this was 93/94....Man United were the Champions the previous season.

I remember poor old David O''Leary in Leeds defence who must have been about 35 being absolutely roasted by Sutton,Fox and Robins......it was probably one of his last ever games before retiring[/quote]It was indeed the season before that Leeds won the title, the last season before the start of the Premier League.Goss'' goal at Leeds came in that great season of brilliant strikes for him.  THAT Bayern Munich goal and also the great strike at Liverpool, the last goal at the Kop end.  Three super goals, and all 3 away from home.

[quote user="sonyc"]Yes this goal is trending everywhere and it eclipses all of the goals I''ve seen (in person and not in person) at Carrow Rd. This will be remembered for decades.

Now then a question....does Jonny Howson possess one of the hardest shots of any NCFC team over the years? He must be up there in the top 10? I recall Drinkell smashing the ball hard too.[/quote]Ron Davies had the hardest shot of any NCFC player ever.

[quote user="Crabbycanary3"]Can''t disagree with that NBS. There was some great football that season as a whole.

I can''t see anyone, in World football, bettering (!!) that yesterday, for technique alone.[/quote]The technique was sublime, as cose to perfection as it''s possible to get.  Someone reckoned it was better than perfection and I''m not going to argue with them.

[quote user="Fiery Zac"]"lincoln canary (& Golden Coppel)"Russ martins against Huddersfield, I think.

But none have the technique of Howsons. It''s one thing catching a ba right, but what Howson does is unreal. The height, the dip, being off the ground... this goal is probably the greatest goal ever scored at carrow road

Do you mean the one against Brighton? Awesome goal.

https://youtu.be/gkkd7l5dJI8[/quote]
One positive of our useless corners that don''t get past the first defender is that we seem to pick up screamers!

[quote user="Fiery Zac"]"lincoln canary (& Golden Coppel)"Russ martins against Huddersfield, I think.

But none have the technique of Howsons. It''s one thing catching a ba right, but what Howson does is unreal. The height, the dip, being off the ground... this goal is probably the greatest goal ever scored at carrow road

Do you mean the one against Brighton? Awesome goal.

https://youtu.be/gkkd7l5dJI8[/quote]

Yes, that''s the one!

I don''t want to have to pick just one as the best !

But Howson''s is just unbelievable, especially because he had so long to get ready to hit it while it was falling.  Often it''s easier to hit a shot instinctively whereas that one he had time to think about.

Let''s hope we can follow it up with promotion via the playoffs so it is something we remember as part of a special season for lots of reasons.

Hopefully he can get a nomination at least for the annual Ferenc Puskas Award for best goal.

But will Girouds scorpion win goal of the season?

What I find even better today is that the celebration for the goal is just to run to the crowd with his fist in the air.

Unlike some of the Prem jesters who score a tap in from a foot and do a parade of the pitch, say a prayer, kiss the badge and inevitable kiss of the tattoo before the inevitable slide on the knees.

And Bill Lewis, who you might ask, is reputed to be the hardest kicker of a ball for City. Met him but never saw him play for City.

The one I do remember seeing is Mal Lucas.

Tell you one city player who had a real hard shot on him John Ryan anyone remember him ? he could smack it !

[quote user="yoda"]Tell you one city player who had a real hard shot on him John Ryan anyone remember him ? he could smack it ![/quote]I agree with you yoda, I can''t remember any City player who had a harder shot than him.