Sign in to follow this  
lake district canary

Top two

Not a foregone conclusion.  Newcastle have a difficult run of games and have not pulled away enough to make them unstoppable.Brighton have an easier looking run in, but can they maintain their form and have lost two of their last  four league games.Of those beneath them, six of Reading''s next ten games are against all the others in the top seven.Leeds could well be challenging for top two if they keep going as they are very consistent atm. Huddersfield are the best looking team of what I''ve seen, but they are ot completely consistent, plus they have fa cup to contend with.Shef Wed are strong and if they get momentum, they will challenge for top two imo.Imo the top seven are going to concertina and close up to make the last few weeks of the season incredibly competitive. That also means that top two is still on for us - if we keep winning.   

It''s mathematically possible, but realistically impossible. We need two teams to have a meltdown and us to go on an unprecedented winning streak.I cannae see it happening.

Well never say never, However our last promotion we lost to Middlesbrough which basically put us in the playoffs. This i remember was a rare lost on our form at the time. The point is to make the top 2 we need to hardly drop any points. A large remainder of our games are against Top teams(April games look a nightmare) so I don''t see it.

I admire your optimism Lakey , but we are too far behind . Its not just winning games, but the top two have to lose , and then the four other clubs have to lose too! It isn''t going to happen. You are asking too many teams to suddenly implode.

Playoffs are still a tall order. We need around 75 points looking how things stand and previous seasons (if you are bored go to the excellent website Statto.com and you can play around with previous seasons) which when I first posted on this we had 20 games left and needed 2 points a game roughly (we are nicely on course at the mo)

2 points a game is auto promotion form (46 games = 92 points which would take you up) so that''s what we still have to do - continue with Championship form.

Tough ask...that unbelievably bad run still haunts us...

Whoops, thought this was going to be about the top two fans going to Wigan, wrong thread!!

Getting into a play off position is best we can hope for, but who is going to falter ? Reading is most likely in my opinion.

[quote user="SwindonCanary"]If we get defeated at Wigan all this optimism will got out the window ! [/quote]Quite possibly. But for me, top two is still possible as it stands. No team has pulled away and if we really get going, 45/46 out of  the 51 points should do it. Tall order, I know, but definitely possible - imo.

Or create a stupid thread where you know it will get lots of replies?Take a ridiculous standpoint, then defend it to the death?

"I like to think anything is possible...until it isn''t."

Agreed. I like to think one day you will admit you might be wrong instead of dragging every thread to 100 replies and labelling anyone who disagrees with you a bully.

It is still possible.

Well, it''s unlikely but what I''m sure is that one of either Brighton or Newcastle will be the dejected team that end up in the playoffs, there are signs that both are stumbling a little - I reckon Leeds might take one of the auto spots. But given we''ve got to play the teams above us, mostly at home, that could make things interesting. Automatic is certainly not impossible, if we went on another terrific run you never know how much we could chip away at the deficit, but I agree it''s unlikely - am at least hoping for another nerve shredding trip to Wembley, and that I fully expect us to do.

Even if Brighton lose today, we''d still need to make up a 14 point gap over 17 games. Even if we won every single game between now and the end of the season (we won''t) we''d need Brighton to lose at least 4 times in those last 17 games, along with a couple of draws. They''ve only lost 4 times all season.

Winning the 17 remaining games would give us 51 points to add to our 46 and 97 for the season.

Possible but highly improbable.

Fag packet maths says that, assuming our current good form continues from the last 6 games, we will get another 36/37 points and 83 for the season. A play-off total and nothing more

Can we stop this thread now please?

I reckon it''s quite conceivable that we''ll have closed the gap on Newcastle to 10 points after their game is finished Saturday night. Think we''ll beat Wigan Tuesday, and also Forest at ours on Saturday, whilst I reckon Newcastle will get beat by Wolves again, this time at Molineux. Quite conceivable, and then makes our home match with Newcastle a week Tuesday absolutely massive. Just sayin''...

That would leave them with 10 points and a game in hand on us. So conceivably 13 points.

Also I''m skeptical that Wolves, who just lost to Burton will beat Newcastle.

It could happen either way around, KC - both scenarios wouldn''t be a surprise. Newcastle are showing signs that they''re not at their best currently so I am using a little logic in my theory.

I don''t see much logic there.

Sure Newcastle haven''t been at their best but they''ve still only lost twice in their last ten games in the league, while Wolves have lost five of theirs.

Even if that situation happened, and we beat Newcastle, we''d still be seven points behind them and they''d have a game in hand on us.

[quote user="king canary"]Even if that situation happened, and we beat Newcastle, we''d still be seven points behind them and they''d have a game in hand on us.[/quote]

I know, great eh? And all by a week Tuesday 😉

It''s not just the top two though is it? Assuming we make up a point per game on Brighton, we still need to out perform the other four teams above us.

There is a very, very slim chance it could happen, but it would be a real shock for every team above us to lose form dramatically, and maybe unprecedented in this league. Still, things can change very quickly - if we are talking about a 7/8 point gap in half a dozen games or so it would make things interesting at least...