Sign in to follow this  
Salopian

Wildschut - implications?

As I said, stats back up physical scouting. It looks at the technical aspects of the game mostly, but is also useful for teams to identify weaknesses that can be coached.

I don''t get people having a dig at AN for bringing players into the first team slowly as I don''t really see he has a track record of doing this without reason.

Nelson took a while to get going, but that is because he was frozen out of Benfica so hadn''t trained at a club since leaving Forest the previous season - was always going to be off the pace.

I also remember seeing Naismith and Pinto thrown into the game versus Liverpool only days after being signed - while is was fine with Naismith, Pinto was horribly out of position for large parts of the game. New signings shouldn''t be thrown into the team without a period to adjust and having two new players on the left side could lead to problems.

"New signings shouldn''t be thrown into the team without a period to adjust and having two new players on the left side could lead to problems."

There''s some truth in that and although Dijks might need a while to adapt needs must indicate that it is only Windschut who could well be on the bench.

Having said that, didn''t Ron Davies put on a super show and score the winner in his fist game shortly after signing?

Didn''t Laurie Sheffield score a hat-trick in his first game?

I seem to remember Grantzilla hitting the ground running as well.

Timm looked class from the outset, although some have expressed doubts about him since.

Pinto has improved beyond recognition since his debut though. That''s true.

Hasn''t really hit the ground running but am sure there''s more to come?

Heard he wasn''t 100% fit when he arrived but doubt AN would have risked him to start in two games if that was the case especially when he put both Murphy''s on the bench last night.

Am sure he will start Saturday against Forest when hopefully he will be able to be used in a more positive role as clearly his defensive covering prowess based on last nights costly foul and subsequent free kick leave a bit to be desired.

Onward and upward !

[quote user="Aberdeen_Canary"]Hasn''t really hit the ground running but am sure there''s more to come?

Heard he wasn''t 100% fit when he arrived but doubt AN would have risked him to start in two games if that was the case especially when he put both Murphy''s on the bench last night.

Am sure he will start Saturday against Forest when hopefully he will be able to be used in a more positive role as clearly his defensive covering prowess based on last nights costly foul and subsequent free kick leave a bit to be desired.

Onward and upward ![/quote]I''m not saying he shouldn''t have played, but you do wonder if some of the stick he got from the crowd, after only leaving there a week ago, maybe got to him a bit?Hopefully we''ll see something more like what we bought, on Saturday.

Twitter (I know...) described his performance as similar to Bamford''s at Palace, i.e. crumbled under the treatment from the crowd. Harsh?

[quote user="Woodman"]Twitter (I know...) described his performance as similar to Bamford''s at Palace, i.e. crumbled under the treatment from the crowd. Harsh?[/quote]Ha, didn''t see that, and I was at Palace that day and witnessed Mr Bamford utterly bottling it, so I hope it was nothing like that.Just watched a Paddy Davitt and Michael Bailey post match wash up, and they said he was utterly caned by the fans from warming up, to the final whistle.Yeah I think it affected him, and he''ll show us something different on Saturday.

Always risky putting a player in for this type of game, mental strength is difficult to assess, it always seems to be the case when we get an old player back at Carrow Road and give him plenty of stick they put in a MOTM performance, sadly the same logic hasn''t worked out for us in recent examples.
In hindsight it might have been wiser to start Josh instead but that''s the beauty of hindsight, maybe AN should have taken him off at half time when it became clearer that it wasn''t working out as hoped.

Woodman wrote;

Twitter (I know...) described his performance as similar to Bamford''s at Palace, i.e. crumbled under the treatment from the crowd. Harsh?

I wasn''t there last night, but guess some players might not have as a strong a character as others so take it more personally, possibly the anticipation of what he might have been about to receive was to a greater detriment than what was actually dished out ? I think his recent interview showed he cared what Wigan and the fans up there thought about him.

Hopefully he will take to the pitch at CR on Saturday in front of a full house and respond accordingly, and we will see why the club felt he was worth £7m.

I went last night, and wondered if Wildschut would start. Then I thought £7m, a crowd of only 10,000, he should cope with that.

He delivered nothing, and it didn''t help he missed every shot during the warm up - which really got the crowd going. Looked bereft of skill, pace, strength, and determination - and after last night, wouldn''t want to be relying on him for a tough play-off second leg.

Hope he shows more on Saturday, because that £7m looks way over the top so far. Far better when Murphy came on.

On a positive note - I thought Pritchard had a good game, fought hard and put in a decent shift. An enjoyable evening out, apart from not picking up the 3 points.

Did Wigan really only pay £800k for him in January 2016? In what universe did we rate him at 10 x that amount one year on when he''s had half a season in league 1 and half at the bottom of the championship? Wigan have re-spent 10% of that on Omar Bogle; it wouldn’t surprise me if we’re linked with him next January for £7m.

My first live sighting of him last night and I must say I''m worried we have wasted a huge chunk of money here. Will give him the benefit of the doubt for now on the basis he needs to settle in but he looked unfit, not really actually that quick and was completely ineffective. At present I''m struggling to see a million pound player let alone £7m.

Think some of the reaction has been a little harsh. In pretty much every game he''s played we have been on the back foot and yesterday I thought he got back and supported Whits well. Wide midfield isn''t just about getting forward (something the Murphy''s need to improve on) and personally I thought we lost our shape a bit when he went off.

Plenty of players take a little while to settle in, Pinto for instance, and I think we will see more from him in games to come.

The tweets from Michael Bailey and Paddy Davitt made him sound very poor- gave the ball away quite a bit apparently.

Wasn''t impressed by him on Saturday, apart from one run he barely touched the ball. Certainly shouldn''t be starting above Josh.

Give the lad a break. Nelson didn''t rip up any trees in his early appearances but is now doing the business. It will probably be the same with Wildschut.

When a new person joins a group, sometimes they click straightaway, sometimes they need a bit of time. It''s quite normal in any walk of life. Give him some time before judging.

See also Pinto (now a legend, apparently), Naismith (now our Talisman) and Kyle Lafferty (well, you can but hope).

Apples

[quote user="Hairy Canary"]Think some of the reaction has been a little harsh. In pretty much every game he''s played we have been on the back foot and yesterday I thought he got back and supported Whits well. Wide midfield isn''t just about getting forward (something the Murphy''s need to improve on) and personally I thought we lost our shape a bit when he went off.

Plenty of players take a little while to settle in, Pinto for instance, and I think we will see more from him in games to come.[/quote]

My view as well Hairy, the first 5-10 mins everything was being targeted towards our right, AN changed Wildshut and Murphy and this reduced this threat and gave us the momentum. - as soon as Wildshut was replaced their midfield took over again especially when Diame came on. we just got out fought.

To be fair after several seasons of very mixed signings the last half dozen have been decent. Too early to say with this lad but does look about £5m too much at the moment

Well the addition of Whitts unsettled the CB pairing, it meant trying to sit dealer and I noticed Tettey had to drop to cover the RB when Whitts got lost.

I''m pretty sure he''ll become a decent player, has pace and looks a decent size, pretty sure we will see far more from him.

@Drinkell - thats how i saw it. Although Wildschut didn''t pull up any trees last night, we looked solid when he was on the pitch & kept shape well. When he was taken off we struggled a lot more, especially with Hoolahan on the right - wtf was that all about?

@Indy - Whittaker was solid last night. He probably offers more solidity defensively than Pinto, who offers a lot more going forward. Sometimes you need a RB to sit in & defend

What game did you watch? Whitts was at fault for their equaliser, he gets drawn into the centre all the time, was jumping into tackles and beaten more than once. When he stood on his feet he did a solid job, but far too often on he arse while their player was being shepherded by Martin or a Tettey, not anywhere near as solid as Pinto.

Bit harsh to blame a Right Back for the equalizer when it came after 3 crosses into the box?

Collectively as a team you have to make sure you are getting a head to the ball & defend the original free kick. If he is in the RB spot, hes not involved in that play at all. He was as much to blame as any of the other players for the equalizer imo.

Whittaker was better than Martin or Klose last night, although Dijks was in a class of his own