Sign in to follow this  
Salopian

Wildschut - implications?

He is obviously a straight replacement for Brady - perhaps with less finesse in crossing, but with more pace and a cracking shot.

The player most affected by his arrival is clearly Josh Murphy, - unless he becomes a regular substitute for his brother later in games, it''s difficult to see Josh getting many games in the absence of injury or in loss of form. AN has a question he must answer - do we go all out and play two quick wingers - presumably Jacob and the Dutchman, or does this leave the midfield a little exposed?

The main threat to other teams is obviously Wildschut''s pace and direct running. Usually he goes round the outside, because he is so quick off the mark and because he is big and strong enough to hold off any defenders.

Will he be a success? He will terrorise defences in the Championship, but the question is whether the other players can feed off the chances he creates. Looking at the highlights of his Wigan season, the other players were not up to converting many of his chances. Does this mean that it could be fierce competition between Oliveira and Jerome? The former was playing well, the latter seemed better recently.

We live interesting times.

Not quite a direct replacement, he can''t cover LB.

If we keep Jacob it means losing Wes or Naismith, both of whom are bringing a lot to the team at present. I think it may increase Oliveira''s opportunities, as I can see more chances being created by Wildschut & we need a more clinical finisher to bury those chances. But then Jerome might be able to up his game & a Wildschut/Jerome combination could physically overwhelm teams (that would be a change!).

As you say, it''s interesting - & a good dilemma to have. As usual I''m feeling absurdly optimistic & see great things ahead. Go Norwich!

I just hope and pray the guy can cross.

I would hate him to join the line of pacey City wingers with no end product.

Not seen enough of him to know.

[quote user="ron obvious"]Not quite a direct replacement, he can''t cover LB.

If we keep Jacob it means losing Wes or Naismith, both of whom are bringing a lot to the team at present. I think it may increase Oliveira''s opportunities, as I can see more chances being created by Wildschut & we need a more clinical finisher to bury those chances. But then Jerome might be able to up his game & a Wildschut/Jerome combination could physically overwhelm teams (that would be a change!).

As you say, it''s interesting - & a good dilemma to have. As usual I''m feeling absurdly optimistic & see great things ahead. Go Norwich![/quote]Its an odd situation, but a good one.Perhaps we assumed we''d lose Naismith, and also assumed Wes would be done by now. I also think the Murphy''s, especially Jacob have emerged quicker than expected, probably helped by what division we are playing in.We certainly have options!

The next home game I''m at is Notts Forest and I''m very much looking forward to seeing both Dijks and Wildschut in action!

Anyone know how long Dorrans / Jarvis have got left?

Pros vs. Cons : Wildschut over Brady.

Pro : A better goals per game ratio than Robbie Brady this season in this league.

Pro : has already scored twice vs 1p5wich this season.

Pro : We now have some money in the bank following sales of Brady and Cannot Canos!.

Con : Wildschut cant cover left back (should we need this). but we have big Dijks.

Pro : Wildschut wants to be here.

Interesting times indeed.

I assume Wildschut has been bought as a likely starter so it will be interesting to see who will be AN''s preferred three in his 4231 formation assuming he has everybody fit and able. So if we place Wildschut in there my other two on current form would be Wes and to move Naismith over to the right. Jacob has not been as effective of late and perhaps might benefit from a spell on the bench.

Wildschut might also provide a benefit to Jerome by being an alternative for Ruddy to kick at and also a second option with the pace to chase the ball behind the defence. May keep Cam fresher deeper into the game.

OTBC

If history is anything to go by then he probably won''t be played for about 6 weeks, until he''s had a chance to get "up to speed". Hopefully this won''t be the case this time. Play him and if he''s not quite match fit then sub him when he''s tired; I don''t understand signing what are for us expensive players and then not playing them.

[quote user="Grando"]If history is anything to go by then he probably won''t be played for about 6 weeks, until he''s had a chance to get "up to speed". Hopefully this won''t be the case this time. Play him and if he''s not quite match fit then sub him when he''s tired; I don''t understand signing what are for us expensive players and then not playing them.[/quote]I think maybe people are just being cautious seeing as he''s just back after a hamstring injury. Especially so with a player who relies on pace.

Hopefully. Be good to see him featuring asap, though I have a hunch he won''t feature against his old club, so therefore might be saved (maybe on the bench?) for Cardiff too?

[quote user="Grando"]Hopefully. Be good to see him featuring asap, though I have a hunch he won''t feature against his old club, so therefore might be saved (maybe on the bench?) for Cardiff too?[/quote]Yeah I''m pretty keen to see him too.Yeah there seems to be people saying there will be some kind of "gentleman''s agreement" that he won''t play against his old club. Not sure about that.

If you have a morbid sense of humour check out the youtube video of him joining Norwich to see all kinds of abusive comments he''s received from Wigan fans. I hope he does play the home game and score against them.

[quote user="Morgan"]If you have a morbid sense of humour check out the youtube video of him joining Norwich to see all kinds of abusive comments he''s received from Wigan fans. I hope he does play the home game and score against them.[/quote]Yeah they haven''t taken it well at all, saw a tweet earlier talking about buying rubber snakes, to throw at him.

[quote user="morty"][quote user="Morgan"]If you have a morbid sense of humour check out the youtube video of him joining Norwich to see all kinds of abusive comments he''s received from Wigan fans. I hope he does play the home game and score against them.[/quote]Yeah they haven''t taken it well at all, saw a tweet earlier talking about buying rubber snakes, to throw at him.[/quote]To be fair he did leave the Latics in the lurch by handing in his transfer request only a day before the window closed. Of course getting £7m back on a short term investment of £1m was too good for them to turn down but I reckon we''d have been seething had it been the other way round.The Wigan message boards - yes, there''s more than one unbelievably - aside from all the teeth gnashing seem to think he isn''t worth the money as his crossing ability isn''t too good.It could be that they''re just p*ssed off of course....[;)]

[quote user="......and Smith must score."][quote user="morty"][quote user="Morgan"]If you have a morbid sense of humour check out the youtube video of him joining Norwich to see all kinds of abusive comments he''s received from Wigan fans. I hope he does play the home game and score against them.[/quote]Yeah they haven''t taken it well at all, saw a tweet earlier talking about buying rubber snakes, to throw at him.[/quote]To be fair he did leave the Latics in the lurch by handing in his transfer request only a day before the window closed. Of course getting £7m back on a short term investment of £1m was too good for them to turn down but I reckon we''d have been seething had it been the other way round.The Wigan message boards - yes, there''s more than one unbelievably - aside from all the teeth gnashing seem to think he isn''t worth the money as his crossing ability isn''t too good.It could be that they''re just p*ssed off of course....[;)][/quote]Hopefully just sour grapes, am really looking forward to seeing him play.Almost considered getting Cardiff tickets....

[quote user="morty"]Hopefully just sour grapes, am really looking forward to seeing him play.Almost considered getting Cardiff tickets....[/quote]Fair play to those that do that and Wigan too. The nearest I''ll get is the Wigan beamback at Carrow Rd.Plastic me...[:D]

[quote user="......and Smith must score."][quote user="morty"]Hopefully just sour grapes, am really looking forward to seeing him play.Almost considered getting Cardiff tickets....[/quote]Fair play to those that do that and Wigan too. The nearest I''ll get is the Wigan beamback at Carrow Rd.Plastic me...[:D]

[/quote]Ah you going? See you there!

Long trip to Cardiff. Always have greatest admiration for the travelling Army, long trip to Cardiff, but not quite as bad as the Swansea trip I did last season.

Not the nicest of locations, good luck MO😀

[quote user="morty"]Yeah they haven''t taken it well at all, saw a tweet earlier talking about buying rubber snakes, to throw at him.[/quote]You swine Morty, I just spat coffee all over the place!That''s hilarious overreacting from the Wigan fans, almost reminds me of when Barca fans launched a Pig''s head onto the pitch towards Figo after he moved to Madrid from them!

[quote user="Morgan"]The next home game I''m at is Notts Forest and I''m very much looking forward to seeing both Dijks and Wildschut in action!

Anyone know how long Dorrans / Jarvis have got left?[/quote]I don''t think their injuries are that serious

Statistically, and I know some people will hate me for saying that, Wildschut is an awful crosser of the ball. He has an accuracy rate of about 8% compared to Robbie Brady who was about 28%.

But Wildschut''s game isn''t about going around the outside of him man and crossing the ball in - as a predominately right footed player who plays on the left wing he will cut inside more regularly to take shots or pull defenders out of position. This is reflected in the fact Brady attempted about 100 crosses so far this season and Wildschut has only done 66 (they have played roughly the same amount of minuets in the league).

He is a very different type of player to Brady and will see Norwich''s attacking patterns alter considerably when he is playing. He is much more in favour of taking on a defender and has almost twice as many attemtped dribbles when compared to Brady so far this season. Wildschut averages about 5 successful dribbles every game which compares well to the club''s two best existing dribblers, who are Wes and Murphy and they only average 2 per 90.

By the looks of it, he is an exciting player, but might frustrate as much as please. His crossing and finishing are wayward buthe loves to take on a player - there is no one else quite like him at the club so at least he will add a little variance to the team.

Sorry Bethnal, but those numbers are pretty much meaningless given that each game is vastly different in not only the opposition but how the players are instructed. Similarly the players (opposition) have different abilities in each game, and the score will undoubtedly determine how things are played.Even the play at that moment of a ''stat'' is not comparable. City are defending a 1-0 lead so tip tap the ball to each other to keep control and run the clock down - and consequently by this system achieve a higher completed pass rate.With so many variables that are not factored in these number are, as I say... worthless.

Thanks for that Bethnal.

Not a better sight in football than a flying wing putting in a killer cross.

We will have to wait and see what the new man is able to deliver for us.

I wouldn''t say they are worthless - clubs like Arsenal wouldn''t have spend $4m on buying a statistics company if they had no meaning, football clubs across every top division hire many data analysts to go through numbers produced from football matches, but they must be looked at in context of course.

I think there is validity in looking at certain numbers which are comparable but context is required of course. Brady and Wildschut have both played roughly the same amount of minutes in the same league and largely in the same position on the pitch so there is valid scope to put their numbers along side each other for comparison.

Statistics of course will only ever compliment actually watching players and that is why I also talked about Wildschut''s habit of cutting inside - something I have learnt from seeing him play.

Clubs who have spent wisely in developing their capability to statistically analyse games and players have consistently outperformed those with similar budgets who have not. Leicester''s successful scouting to bring in players such as Kante was based around using data to identify players who were outperforming those around them.

true Bethnal but what stats do not show is because teams are worried about Wildschuts pace on the left other teams players cover for that leading space for our right hand side players

with a team like ours lacking pace teams can settle in position more

i am sure and have been told Wildschuts is so quick he will unsettle defenders something we have lacked that in inself will provide more space for others

Murphy on one side Wildschuts on the other how do you cover that if you are a back 4

Certainly seems a lot more direct than Brady. Think more Snodgrass than Brady. It''ll certainly be interesting to see if we play him as an out and out winger or give him a more attacking role.

That said, it''ll probably be about 6 months until he plays a first team game for us anyway given AN''s record on signings.

I bet Dijks will be just about be settled and ready so he can play the last couple of games this season before deciding he doesn''t want to join us permanently.