Sign in to follow this  
king canary

Player Recruitment

I''ve been banging this drum for quite a bit of time on here but I want to ask and see if anyone can clear this up for me- who signs our players?

Is it Neil or someone else? Does Neil get final sign off or is he told who we''re bringing in? Does Neil give them a list of targets and priorities?

I ask because there is quite a bit of talk about his tactical inflexibility which I believe in part is due to the players we''ve signed.

Neil is backed into a corner tactically that the players we have really only suit one formation. Our strikers don''t fit together as partners, we''ve got a surplus of ''Number 10''s'' and no real depth in defence or defensive midfield.

Is this a problem of Neil''s making or has this deeply imbalanced squad been foisted on him?

Read ''the secret footballer'' for an insight into how it works with many clubs.

Basically a manager identifies an area to strengthen, lets say Right Back. He''ll then present his request to the director of football or scouts who then set about finding said right back.

Does he want a pacey attacking type, or a conservative safety first player? Does he have to be good in the air or on the ground? An old head to add experience, someone hitting their peak or one for the future?.

Once targets have been identified research is done further (videos, attending games, chats with players/managers/coaches) who may have worked with said player.

If it''s got legs and the manager likes what he hears then the board try and make something happen.

Of course there are players who like and respect managers who will already be known to them from previous clubs etc, but no one knows everyone.

Thanks Syteanric

I think what I''m trying to understand is simply was it AN who thought spending £10m on two attacking midfielders and not strengthening the defence was a good idea or was it someone else?

I''ve seen a couple of people on twitter make the argument that Neil didn''t sign the likes of Pritchard and Canos and they must have been bought by someone else which makes very little sense to me.