Sign in to follow this  
hogesar

What's our "style"?

Whilst I think everyone was annoyed at the substitutions, they weren''t actually terrible. I didn''t join in with the chant even though I thought Oliveira should have stayed on - I always think it''s worth seeing how we change the setup and the performance post the sub before mouthing off about it. Obviously we end up with Bassong up front so I''m not sure it was the right decision!

My main concern from last night, is what is Norwichs style? This doesn''t apply to just AN but the entire coaching staff.

Are we high pressing high energy high tempo? Nope.

Are we short crisp passing through the middle? I don''t think so, if we are we''re a bit screwed because Huddersfield are considerably better at it than us.

Are we direct ball to a big striker getting lots of players around him for knock downs? Well, for the last 5 minutes today.

It was clear what a concise and well drilled coaching methodology can result in. Huddersfield had a couple of good players but they knew exactly what they were doing and first half completely dominated the first half against what is supposed to be half a premiership squad at home.

Everyone says about how good the football was under Lambert. It was exciting but it wasn''t purist football. It was get it up top as quick as possible and work from there.

Either style is fine but we need one that suits the players. I''m really not sure this formation at its most basic suits the players we have anyway.

Obviously from a personal point of view I think we need w change of manager - for the sake of this season the main thing we need is a man manager that can motivate these players week after week, with each player getting a clean slate and an opportunity to impress.

At the moment I believe that we don''t have a style as much as a one trick pony that has been sussed by every other team in the league.

A director of football would be someone who could oversee a general philosophy of football intelligence and emphasis on technique. Pretty patterns that create little is not enough.

The under 21/23''s seem to do well. Are they playing a different way to the first team?

I think AN has always wanted to be seen as an attacking manager, but that isn''t really a style.

We could try soaking up pressure and countering - but we lack the pace through the middle for that really.

We could try controlling possession and probing - we''ve done that against the poor sides this season but anyone half decent and we''re unable to keep the ball for long periods and against both the poor and good teams we seem to get smashed on the counter anyway.

Just feels like we''re going through the motions in most games and relying on a special moment from an individual player to make something happen. When that doesn''t happen we have nothing.

Putting on the agony, putting on the style

That''s what Alex Neil is doing all the time.

He has a formation and that it is it I''m afraid. Style/tactics are not visible to most.

That''s a good post Hogesar and raises a question which should perhaps be put to AN.

Your remark about sharp crisp accurate passing through the mid field was epitomised by Huddersfield last night and to be honest it was a pleasure to watch. They did have some gifted individuals but basically they were well drilled and everyone knew exactly what they were supposed to be doing. We on the other hand looked lost.

It''s so depressing when you look at the player resources we have and imagine what a sweet tune they could be playing if they all knew what the music was.

Safe, short passing to feet, over reliance on individual skill and both fingers crossed the opposition has on off day or suicidally tries to sit off us.

Absolute rubbish basically. league 2 tactics

He hasn''t got a clue how to set up a balanced team. Neither has he a clue with his selections. In his 4-2-3-1 system he has attacking full backs, three attacking players behind the striker and a striker. If you played with two defensive midfielders it would mean 4 defensive players and 6 attacking players. Neil doesn''t do that and at times has played Dorrans and howson as his two midfielders. Utter madness. And he wonders why we concede so easily. As soon as we lose possession it takes one straight ball through the middle and they''re up again our centre backs.

If pinto goes forward Olsson and the two midfielders can''t all go forward. It''s suicide. With pinto, the three behind and the striker you could push ONE of the midfield forward as well and would still have four players back. Obviously if olsson goes then pinto stays back. It''s so simple but our MANAGER can''t seem to grasp this.

I think one of our major flaws is we lack pace through the middle of the park. Maybe Thompson will improve this