Sign in to follow this  
Yorkshire  Canary

no win against top half side

We are nearly at Christmas and we have not managed a single win against a top 12 side in this division and indeed have only got 1 point from them. There may be some statisticians out there but I struggle to remember such a record in the last 20 odd years.

Can you think of any other club, with the comparative quality that we have, that wouldn''t even consider replacing the manager with results like that.

Sentimentality and wishful thinking governs over pragmatism and logic sadly.

Just wondering, but, have ANY of the sides we''ve beaten featured at any point in the top half? I have no idea.

It''s also a "loaderolebollocks" stat.

You don''t get 4 points for beating a team in the "top half at this particular snapshot of a 9 month season".

My son hasn''t got anywhere near a chocolate above 20 on his advent calendar either. The useless shit.

Bristol City were top half when we beat them in the second home game of the season. I believe they were top six at the time although after just a few games position means nothing.

Actually, at nearly the mid-point of the season it''s a very telling statistic. If you can''t beat, or even draw, with the teams who are In the top half then you really can''t be considered a serious promotion challenger. We''re in free-fall, 15 points off second and beginning to lose touch with the play-off places. The league table doesn''t lie. It''s been a year and a half of failure and the Board, surely, must recognise that.

I''m not a big stats person but I do find this interesting, thanks for posting. It''s s a bit like the England football team, can beat poor sides in qualification but as soon as they come up against anyone decent they can''t hack it.

Oddly I used to see things the other way around, we would lose to poor sides then really do well and occasionally turn over a big one. We used to be able to lift our game, something that we are clearly unable to do anymore. Why is that? Maybe we think we''re so good that we don''t need to lift our game and the result will fall into our lap?

I accept 3pts is 3pts ni matter who you get them off but I was quite shocked when I noticed it especially in relegation seasons in the past we have always got some wins against the top sides. On a plus note the stats at least give confidence that we will not go down

[quote user="Yorkshire Canary"]I accept 3pts is 3pts ni matter who you get them off but I was quite shocked when I noticed it especially in relegation seasons in the past we have always got some wins against the top sides. On a plus note the stats at least give confidence that we will not go down[/quote]

Hope you''re right, YC, although the current form table suggests otherwise and unless the tide turns pretty quickly it won''t be long before we''re looking a bit more anxiously at the bottom 3.