Sign in to follow this  
Jezzard

John Ruddy and the second Huddersfield goal

How did he get away with it? Neither of the commentators, pundits nor anything else I''ve read about the match mentioned this calamity. It was straight in the middle of the goal, along the ground...and he fell over. I''ve calculated that any deflection changed the trajectory by at most 2 cms.

Is it just me? I''m not saying that this lost us the game...but if we''re attaching significance to goals.....

Ruddy''s best is in his past. Offload in January or don''t renew his contract in the summer and have Declan Rudd as number one with Matthews as reserve.

It didn''t help that he had, not one, but two static defenders between him and the striker. This makes an already difficult decision for a keeper much worse. Real school boy defending - not only failing to stop the striker getting the shot away, but also preventing the keeper from reading the situation and making an informed decision.

Unless he guessed right, there is nothing else he could have done.

I thought Bassong had more fault here than Ruddy, did nothing to close down the attacking player and just blocked his keepers line of sight.

I did mention this in passing on another thread but didn''t really want to see individual players being blamed for the result.

But now you mentioned it 😀

Not seen any replays, couldn''t bring myself to, but certainly at the time it looked as if John could have done a lot better. Equally the rest of the team of course who seemed to be taken totally by surprise when Huddersfield broke for the goal.

The shot should never have happened, why did the defenders back off ? this occurred on both goals, but watch Bassong he was nowhere near the scorer, if he''d moved up instead of dropping off he would have been there to stop him.

My thoughts at the time was that it was odd not to have hit anything on it but looking at replays I think he was unsighted with two defenders between him and the striker. That said, I would love Rudd back in goal. I think he has far more mobility. He is not the complete goalkeeper yet but Declan for me is one I would love to see back in goal.

It''s a difficult one, it is a hard hit shot from not far out and does take a deflection or two. It was horrendous defending in the first place, and as is the norm of late, we just didn''t do enough to get anything from the game.

Oliveira missed two sitters, had he scored those we probably wouldn''t be having this discussion. We must have easily created twice or thrice the amount that the opposition did!

The defenders were hardly throwing themselves in front of the ball to block the shot

Once a keepers weight ( a ruddy has plenty ) is going one way or no on his toes expecting it hard to get to a shot like that

Have to say that I think there were lots of our players far more culpable for their second goal than Ruddy.

Starting with Brady who was in no man''s land when the ball was played forward and who then jogged back once he''d been caught out of position.

Dorrans and Mulumbu are both totally out of the picture and as has already been pointed out Bassong and Bennett both just stand there blocking Ruddy''s view rather than closing down the forward who is about to shoot.

[quote user="Thirsty Lizard"]Have to say that I think there were lots of our players far more culpable for their second goal than Ruddy.

Starting with Brady who was in no man''s land when the ball was played forward and who then jogged back once he''d been caught out of position.

Dorrans and Mulumbu are both totally out of the picture and as has already been pointed out Bassong and Bennett both just stand there blocking Ruddy''s view rather than closing down the forward who is about to shoot.[/quote]
Spot on [Y]

Thirsty Lizard wrote the following post at 19/12/2016 11:10 AM:

"Have to say that I think there were lots of our players far more culpable for their second goal than Ruddy.

Dorrans and Mulumbu are both totally out of the picture and as has already been pointed out Bassong and Bennett both just stand there blocking Ruddy''s view rather than closing down the forward who is about to shoot. "

Just reading that post Thirsty, and it''s all pretty accurate, really makes you dispair.!

Although justified, the criticism of the defenders in front of Ruddy is beside the point. The question is whether he could and should have done better, and the answer to that is a definite Yes! The shot was saveable and would have been saved by a less ponderous, faster reflexed keeper. It''s likely IMO that McGovern would have saved it. I also think the first Huddersfield goal illustrated just how indecisive and immobile Ruddy is; the cross was delivered from a wide position level with the six-yard box, and the trajectory was slightly forward, angling towards rather than away from the goal. Ruddy was rooted to his goal line and apparently not thinking of anything apart from making sure he wasn''t beaten at his near post. McGovern messed up in one game; Ruddy is a greater liability every game he plays.

if we are pointing fingers, then Pinto''s free header left the rest of the team exposed, at worst he should of headed it up the line, not into the middle of the pitch with our midfielders pushing forward.

Sounds like it was a very poor goal to concede (oh and the finish was a toe poke on the run.

2cm, sadly is an enormous distance. Most quality players deal in millimetres rather than cm, woeful.

Ruddy hasn''t been the same since his Thigh injury a few seasons back.

It must hamper his movement a little bit as he sometimes crumples instead of diving.

I''m in the McGovern Camp and think he should be number 1.

He may have done better with it but as others have pointed out its a close range shot slightly deflected and close to the body which is always difficult.

He should take some blame but the majority must fall on the woeful olsson (both goals), then brady and bassong before a bit lands with the keeper.

However the alternative is McGovern, so while it may have been he is part culpable Ruddy remains the best option available to us so it is surely a pointless discussion.