Sign in to follow this  
Morisons Prozac

Who would you build a team around?

Forgetting Neil for a second, the players are clearly massively underperforming and some have said in the local press lately that we have an ageing squad that isn''t as good as it thinks it is. So given free reign (and the assumption we can get rid of anyone or even everyone) who would you retain to build a squad around for the start of next season in the Championship? Here''s mine:

X

Pinto X X X

Howson Thompson

Murphy Pritchard X

X

Subs: Oliveira, Murphy, Canos

Feel the rest have either been here too long (Martin, Olsson, Ruddy, Jerome, Tettey etc.) or are just simply uninterested (Brady, Naismith, Klose etc.)

In one way, if we get rid of those uninterested players, as you call them, then we will recoup a lot of money, added with parachute payments, then we will have a lot of money to spend.

Around Pinto, Thompson, Jacob maddison & Pritchard. The rest are entirely disposable.

[quote user="Morisons Prozac"]Forgetting Neil for a second, the players are clearly massively underperforming and some have said in the local press lately that we have an ageing squad that isn''t as good as it thinks it is. So given free reign (and the assumption we can get rid of anyone or even everyone) who would you retain to build a squad around for the start of next season in the Championship? Here''s mine:

X

Pinto X X X

Howson Thompson

Murphy Pritchard X

X

Subs: Oliveira, Murphy, Canos

Feel the rest have either been here too long (Martin, Olsson, Ruddy, Jerome, Tettey etc.) or are just simply uninterested (Brady, Naismith, Klose etc.)[/quote]All the names you mentioned, but I''d put Pritchard on the left and Maddison in the middle. Also Godfrey would definitely be in there somewhere, probably centre back. I also think Oliveira would be an ideal number 9 in a positive, attack-minded technical team that plays with confidence.

We need a decent spine which ATM I can''t see. I was disappointed with JR on Friday, he used to inspire confidence but for me that just doesn''t seem to be there right now.

So I would try building around a spine of Rudd, Martin and Klose, Thompson, Howson with Nelson and Cams up front.

Would definitely fit Pritchard in there somewhere as well.

[quote user="Phil Collins"]Whittaker, Bassong, Jarvis, Lafferty.[/quote]Not forgetting of course Turner and Andreu.

All of the last 4 we''ve conceded have come down the left....

I''ve said for a long time I think Olssons a winger being played out of position.

Time to recall Toffolo

Don''t build a team around anyone it''s an outdated way of thinking unless we have a Ronaldo or Messi. We''re already predictable enough without adding to the problem.

I don''t think he means that - this is more about who in the current squad is worth building a team around, rather than an individual.

A lot depends on where we end up this season. If we don''t get to the playoffs, then I agree, a wholesale clear out is needed & I''d say thanks and goodbye to Ruddy, Whitaker, Bassong, Turner, Andreu, Lafferty, and possibly Martin, Jerome, Wes and Tettey. That assumes we''d also sell Klose and Brady.

Hugely risky strategy though, given next year would be our last parachute payment and our most likely opportunity to return to the Prem.