Sign in to follow this  
CANARYKING

Paddy Davitt article

Lol Bagster. There is that compensation! Trust me to be all human again ha ha. Think my Xmas spirit-o-meter must be at 10! Elf has got to me....

I''m just hoping that someone from NCFC is talking with Rowett and that pending a deal being done with him it will all get done and dusted quickly. He seems to be very highly regarded having read and heard a lot since the Brum fiasco, so would on paper seem to be ideal. It may be that the board hasn''t got any up to date list of potential successors drawn up because of their faith in AN, so when someone pops up like this and in our current situation it must justify a change in strategy surely.

Amazed that the board/Delia will let this drag on, 19 months of failure pretty much and they seem still to be hoping blindly that things will improve when all the evidence is that they are going in the wrong direction at an alarming rate.......

Yes the rate of decline is quite astonishing. Reminds me of that Megson season where we dropped like a stone and out of the top tier.

[quote user="sonyc"]With didn''t know that Komakino. Shocking.[/quote]

Moral is bad - So bad in fact that some of the employees want to the club to get relegated because the club is so mismanaged. There appears to be a cost cutting and restructure exercise going on.

sonyc wrote the following post at 19/12/2016 10:38 AM:

I disagree Morty. They are human even if NCFC is a business. And there may be nothing gained from sacking this week rather than next. Will be amazed if we do I have to say. Recall the postal company a couple of years ago given redundancy by text on Xmas Eve.

It isn''t redundancy though is it? You are not making the job, or position redundant. You are terminating a contract, and will pay him up whatever he is due. AN is a professional , on good money, in a high risk profession. When he goes, he will rightly take the value of his contract . And so he should. As a pro, he deserved his contract when it was offered.

No comparison to the Post Office

[quote user="GPB"]Can anyone explain what Davitt is ? Is he a journalist, or one of these "bloggers" (the latter - I cant really work out what their point is?) If he is a journalist, it supports the view that Archant are getting very critical?[/quote]
GPB - This should answer your question re journalist Paddy Davitt who covers our games  along with Michael Bailey in the een/edp
''''Paddy Davitt is an award-winning chief football correspondent with more than 13 years experience covering professional soccer in the English Premier League and Championship. Paddy has extensive knowledge of the game built up from working closely with managers and players. He has also covered professional football in the USA and Italy.

Paddy grew up in the Midlands and is a lifelong Coventry City fan. He currently works in Norfolk, England, for the regional publishing group Archant, where he reports on the fortunes of Norwich City FC. He is also an author who has published his debut novel ''One Shot at Glory'' about a young footballer''s quest to follow his boyhood dream and make it big at his hometown club.''''

Re: Paddy Davitt article

GPB wrote:

Can anyone explain what Davitt is ? Is he a journalist, or one of these "bloggers" (the latter - I cant really work out what their point is?) If he is a journalist, it supports the view that Archant are getting very critical?

GPB - This should answer your question re journalist Paddy Davitt who covers our games along with Michael Bailey in the een/edp

''''Paddy Davitt is an award-winning chief football correspondent with more than 13 years experience covering professional soccer in the English Premier League and Championship. Paddy has extensive knowledge of the game built up from working closely with managers and players. He has also covered professional football in the USA and Italy.

Paddy grew up in the Midlands and is a lifelong Coventry City fan. He currently works in Norfolk, England, for the regional publishing group Archant, where he reports on the fortunes of Norwich City FC. He is also an author who has published his debut novel ''One Shot at Glory'' about a young footballer''s quest to follow his boyhood dream and make it big at his hometown club.''''

Thanks Diane, I guessed that was the case but wanted to be sure. I follow them both on twitter and find myself agreeing with most of what they say!

And for Archant journo''s to make these comments apparently uncensored is very interesting indeed. DM would have had them banned by now!

Thanks again.

[quote user="komakino"][quote user="sonyc"]With didn''t know that Komakino. Shocking.[/quote]

Moral is bad - So bad in fact that some of the employees want to the club to get relegated because the club is so mismanaged. There appears to be a cost cutting and restructure exercise going on.[/quote]Of course there is though.The business that is Norwich City has just had a massive amount lopped off its turnover.As terrible as it is, I''m not sure what else anyone would expect?

Agreed GPB. My comparison was about the timing not the contractual situation. I remember the postal thing because it was inhumane. Komakino has mentioned our current HR policy too which is very disappointing to hear. Perhaps we are into a massive downsizing phase with the board knowing we are unlikely to be promoted.

And of course Neil will receive compensation. I''m being far too nice for my own good about this. He doesn''t deserve continued support in my opinion but I would have pulled the trigger quite a long while ago.

[quote user="sonyc"]I disagree Morty. They are human even if NCFC is a business. And there may be nothing gained from sacking this week rather than next. Will be amazed if we do I have to say. Recall the postal company a couple of years ago given redundancy by text on Xmas Eve.[/quote]

There is everything to gain form doing it as soon as possible. They''ve already wasted numerous winnable games and if they leave it till after Christmas he will probably get two more games to waste.; new manager must be in before 1st January and the transfer window opening. This week is ideally a good time to do it as compared to a normal week we have an extra 2 days before our next game.

This is the hidden cost and effect of the mismanagement and failure to act. We as "customers"/fans just see our league position decline and poor showings on the pitch. But there are many people''s livelihoods and jobs at stake here and a whole supply chain which may suffer knock on consequences when any business is going through a rough patch. Failure by AN and the players has a direct impact far beyond the league table.

[quote user="morty"]I really don''t think whether or not we ruin Alex Neil''s Christmas or not, is much of a factor here.[/quote]

It might ruin his Christmas but it''ll make mine!

[quote user="Diane"][quote user="GPB"]Can anyone explain what Davitt is ? Is he a journalist, or one of these "bloggers" (the latter - I cant really work out what their point is?) If he is a journalist, it supports the view that Archant are getting very critical?[/quote]
GPB - This should answer your question re journalist Paddy Davitt who covers our games  along with Michael Bailey in the een/edp
''''Paddy Davitt is an award-winning chief football correspondent with more than 13 years experience covering professional soccer in the English Premier League and Championship. Paddy has extensive knowledge of the game built up from working closely with managers and players. He has also covered professional football in the USA and Italy.

Paddy grew up in the Midlands and is a lifelong Coventry City fan. He currently works in Norfolk, England, for the regional publishing group Archant, where he reports on the fortunes of Norwich City FC. He is also an author who has published his debut novel ''One Shot at Glory'' about a young footballer''s quest to follow his boyhood dream and make it big at his hometown club.''''
[/quote]There was a new broom at Archant some time ago, which decided to fight back against McNally''s reign of terror, which had the journalists too frightened to say anything critical.*Ironically McNally left before there was much chance to exercise this new freedom, and for a while there didn''t seem much need/opportunity anyway. This article is the strongest example yet of a more muscular approcah, although it focuses on the easy target of the manager rather than the directors. A piece criticisng them would be of a different order.And Davitt is speaking for himself rather than Archant. If Archant as a company spoke it would be in the form of a leading article, which this is not. Whether it will add to the pressure on the directors or makes them more prone to be stubborn is a question. I continue to believe that the key factors here  are not the anger of the crowd but the availability of potential replacements and the fact that nether Moxey nor Balls had anything to do with choosing Neil. I believe he is on thinner ice than is indicated by the so far comparitively muted public displeasure.*"Reign of terror" is an exaggeration for dramatic effect, but I think is it fair to say reporters felt they were in a walking-on-eggshells scenario.

PurpleCanary wrote the following post at 19/12/2016 11:15 AM:

Diane wrote:

GPB wrote:

Can anyone explain what Davitt is ? Is he a journalist, or one of these "bloggers" (the latter - I cant really work out what their point is?) If he is a journalist, it supports the view that Archant are getting very critical?

GPB - This should answer your question re journalist Paddy Davitt who covers our games along with Michael Bailey in the een/edp

''''Paddy Davitt is an award-winning chief football correspondent with more than 13 years experience covering professional soccer in the English Premier League and Championship. Paddy has extensive knowledge of the game built up from working closely with managers and players. He has also covered professional football in the USA and Italy.

Paddy grew up in the Midlands and is a lifelong Coventry City fan. He currently works in Norfolk, England, for the regional publishing group Archant, where he reports on the fortunes of Norwich City FC. He is also an author who has published his debut novel ''One Shot at Glory'' about a young footballer''s quest to follow his boyhood dream and make it big at his hometown club.''''

There was a new broom at Archant some time ago, which decided to fight back against McNally''s reign of terror, which had the journalists too frightened to say anything critical.*

Ironically McNally left before there was much chance to exercise this new freedom, and for a while there didn''t seem much need/opportunity anyway. This article is the strongest example yet of a more muscular approcah, although it focuses on the easy target of the manager rather than the directors. A piece criticisng them would be of a different order.

And Davitt is speaking for himself rather than Archant. If Archant as a company spoke it would be in the form of a leading article, which this is not. Whether it will add to the pressure on the directors or makes them more prone to be stubborn is a question. I continue to believe that the key factors here are not the anger of the crowd but the availability of potential replacements and the fact that nether Moxey nor Balls had anything to do with choosing Neil. I believe he is on thinner ice than is indicated by the so far comparitively muted public displeasure.

*"Reign of terror" is an exaggeration for dramatic effect, but I think is it fair to say reporters felt they were in a walking-on-eggshells scenario.

Yes, and it went on for some time. My son and I got chatting with Kevin Piper on the way to a Chelsea away game a few years back . KP was very keen to tell us how DM/ NCFC treated him and his team after the Mackail Smith incident.

Some of the influence of the club over Archant would have come from Stephan Phillips, former Managing Director. Now retired from that role, but still on the NCFC board. What does that say?

@yorkshirecanary

Richard Balls "Last Orders for Worthy" in November 2005 was a really critical one. We''d lost 0-1 at Millwall in midweek, and the article appeared in the EDP Saturday morning. It was Millwall''s first home win all season.

I still have a copy of the article at home.

[quote user="morty"][quote user="komakino"][quote user="sonyc"]With didn''t know that Komakino. Shocking.[/quote]

Moral is bad - So bad in fact that some of the employees want to the club to get relegated because the club is so mismanaged. There appears to be a cost cutting and restructure exercise going on.[/quote]Of course there is though.The business that is Norwich City has just had a massive amount lopped off its turnover.As terrible as it is, I''m not sure what else anyone would expect?[/quote]
This Komakino guy is the worst compulsive liar we''ve had on here for a while. How would the club getting relegated and those employees probably losing their jobs help themselves?

They are facts. I speak to contacts at Carrow Road and Colney on a regular basis.

The jobs that are going were earmarked quite a while ago and has nothing to do with what is going on - or isn''t- on the pitch.

The reason why some want the club to be relegated is that the club don''t deserve success because of the way the club is run. It''s quite simple really.

You can stay in denial by all means.

But if they''re employees they don''t want their company to make less money regardless of how it is run. If they''re that outraged they''d have already left. You speak to no-one. Your life is a lie, and you know it. You have as many contacts at Carrow Road as my budgie does*
*My budgie has 0 contacts, I think.

He''s hit the nail on the head! Now let''s make ourselves heard in the stands! "We''re not gonna take it anymore"

Richard Balls stoked up the fans for weeks back then Tim. As far as I''m aware his was only opinion pieces just as Davitt''s is? Are there such things as Editorials now? That would bear some weight. Can''t remember properly but in the back of my mind we had one back in the 90s in the darkest days of Chase. But that would have been in the ECN years before Archant. I remember Richard Balls opinions were so sought after that he spoke at the St Andrews Hall meeting in 2009. Subsequent events totally wrecked many opinions given that evening. An opinion is just that but it seems the press is pretty much wall to wall opinions now. I guess they can never get first to any news so that''s kind of forced upon them. They can no longer get exclusives to sell newspapers or get clicks online. So the opinion has to be one that will attract the bees to the honeypot. I have nothing against Paddy Davitt, sometimes I agree with him and sometimes I don''t. But that''s the same as I feel about all the posters on here. However the yardstick here is not how informed or fair an opinion is. For an opinion to get a higher platform it''s about how well it''s written and how many clicks it produces.  

I have always found Paddy''s opinion to be fair. And not hysterical or reactionary.His post game videos on Mustard are excellent.

NCFC obviously isn''t the only place of employment in the entire country. Getting relegated won''t effect every member of staff and they will be there whatever division the club is in.

Many people across the land work for employers they either do not like and/or are not well run companies. It doesn''t mean they can jump ship at a point of principle because they have mouths to feed/responsibilities etc.

Norwich City are not a well run club, especially since McNally''s departure. There is a down size culture to comfy Championship level, which is where many think we will stay - at best - for the foreseeable future. Is it that much of a surprise?

[quote user="nutty nigel"]Richard Balls stoked up the fans for weeks back then Tim. As far as I''m aware his was only opinion pieces just as Davitt''s is? Are there such things as Editorials now? That would bear some weight. Can''t remember properly but in the back of my mind we had one back in the 90s in the darkest days of Chase. But that would have been in the ECN years before Archant. I remember Richard Balls opinions were so sought after that he spoke at the St Andrews Hall meeting in 2009. Subsequent events totally wrecked many opinions given that evening. An opinion is just that but it seems the press is pretty much wall to wall opinions now. I guess they can never get first to any news so that''s kind of forced upon them. They can no longer get exclusives to sell newspapers or get clicks online. So the opinion has to be one that will attract the bees to the honeypot. I have nothing against Paddy Davitt, sometimes I agree with him and sometimes I don''t. But that''s the same as I feel about all the posters on here. However the yardstick here is not how informed or fair an opinion is. For an opinion to get a higher platform it''s about how well it''s written and how many clicks it produces.  [/quote]Richard Balls'' reputation was overblown and out of proportion to what he wrote, which was normally not very interesting. But in any event he was just a journalist (from memory he was not even on the sports staff) who was allowed a column because he was a fan. Davitt is Archant''s main football writer and his view carries far more weight.

Ah, so now the situation is the only employees that want the club to get relegated because its mismanaged are the irrelevant people that won''t get sacked regardless, and wont leave, even though they hate it their and the entire way it''s run?
You should probably stop now. 

I enjoy Paddy''s articles. I enjoy loads of the opinions given on here just as much. 
Just before the AGM one of the columnists, and I think it was original PUP and top man Michael Bailey, suggested shareholders ask questions at the AGM. Yet Archant have quite a large shareholding compared to most people reading that article. Why didn''t they ask questions?