Sign in to follow this  
lake district canary

Nothing to lose now

When you know you have reached that stage where things couldn''t get much worse, that is the time that you realise there is nothing to left to lose - and that is when improvement can start.  In footballing terms, AN has reached that point and that is why there is hope for him at Norwich - because once you accept there is nothing left to lose, you tend to relax and start performing better.   That relaxing is what is needed imo - relax, start to enjoy the process, give it your all still, but in a way where where you no longer feel the same pressure.    We''ve all seen it in football where a club, once relegated with a few games to go, suddenly starts playing well - why? Because there is no pressure.  We are not relegated of course, but the worst position our manager could be in is to be mediocre and mid-table - and that point has been reached. The next three games are going to be very interesting.....

Hopefully he will abandon 4 2 3 1 and play a system that the players feel more comfortable with as I can''t remember that many matches that we have looked in control and played well with that system.

[quote user="Lessingham Canary"]Maybe by AN coming out and saying we wont make the automatic positions now is his way of taking the pressure off?.[/quote]That was obvious before the end of October.

[quote user="Lessingham Canary"]To you Ricardo.....[/quote]It shouldn''t have been difficult, the goals conceded dog was barking loud enough.Goal averages tell the true story, the top two have averages well over 2 and that''s never not been good enough for auto.They have both gone beyond recall. Everybody else just above 1, except for Derby at 1.5.It tells me that there''s still all to play for re a playoff position.

Surely before Villa there was nothing left to lose? Or before that? This isn''t one or two bad games it 7 defeats in 9 in a season where we''ve not looked great for the entirety of it.

To think now that there''s suddenly no pressure is wrong, the fans reaction suggests there''s more pressure than there ever has been. He certainly won''t be ''enjoying the process'' at the moment.

We''ve pretty much lost already in the sense that an automatic promotion challenge looks beyond us already and that should have been the expectation at the start of the season. A few more weeks of underperformance and the playoffs will start to look distant too,. not the mention the further damage he could do to the squad/morale in the transfer window.

In essence, the board appear prepared to jeopardise the future of the club (by rendering next season make or break) in order to let Neil remain in a job he does not deserve to stay in, to the detriment of everyone except Alex Neil. I really don''t understand why they are doing this.

Agree with that hog, but unlike others, I didn''t take to AN from day one and I still can''t see how a club of our stature got in a total novice with no real big reputation during his playing days! Was always going to be tough when things went pear shaped!

The players have indeed let AN down to a degree and AN himself isn''t tactically astute enough for this level.

A few seasons at lower league might do him the good he needs.

But that could well be a few seasons in the championship with us the way this board has restructured the clubs structure.

It''s not just about him though LDC, it depends on a positive response from the players and them having faith in and thorough understanding of what he is trying to do.

That clearly lacking at the moment IMO.

The reason I say that is because of results against the better teams. We are able to perform well enough to beat the lower teams but when the pressure comes on in tougher games, that''s when you really need to believe in the system and have confidence that your teams mates are able and know how to execute it.

[quote user="VanWink"]It''s not just about him though LDC, it depends on a positive response from the players and them having faith in and thorough understanding of what he is trying to do. That clearly lacking at the moment IMO. The reason I say that is because of results against the better teams. We are able to perform well enough to beat the lower teams but when the pressure comes on in tougher games, that''s when you really need to believe in the system and have confidence that your teams mates are able and know how to execute it.[/quote]

Unfortunately from recent games, my guess is that many of the players have no belief in the system and no confidence that they and their team mates know what they are meant to be doing to execute it.  And my opinion is that they''d be right.

In my experience footballers are a little slow, they take time to learn and adjust to new things, maybe it''s just taken two seasons for ours to understand what is expected from a 4-2-3-1 system.

Bless their little socks, I''m pretty sure with a pat on the back and a kind little word in their ear each week, they''ll get there. After all during the week AN says they look really good, just hard to motivate then on a Saturday, let''s be honest after a week at work I find it hard to be motivated on a Saturday!

The best teams have complete faith in their team mates to do their job that then enables them to focus on doing their own job properly.

The best teams have complete faith in their team mates to do their job that then enables them to focus on doing their own job properly.

Exactly this !

i remember last season with Leicester this was mentioned alot

if a CB trusts his other defenders he is not leaving his man to cover for others etc

if the ball goes wide he trusts his RB / LB to deal with the problem

this is our problem nobody seems to trust anyone to do their job so the shape of team is pulled all over the place

But this might stem from the Manager as he has stated that he does not think certain players are up to it

also the way he drops players etc the whole team does not have that bond and trust

the players are good enough the man management of the manager is not !!

If Alex Neil can''t handle pressure (and there''s nothing to say since that 6-2 defeat to Newcastle last year to suggest he can) then he shouldn''t be a football manager.

It shouldn''t have come to this point but here we are, again. I would like to think that unless there''s significant signs of massive improvement over the next few games we''ll have a new gaffer in charge at the start of the year.

To be fair Morgan i think we have seen enough of AN now to know he is like a dog chasing its tail

New manager with fresh coaches is required

nobody has improved as a player under these coaches

in fact we turn good players into trembling wrecks

Have to agree with that , we need a breath of fresh air in the club...new manager to start with and hopefully somehow we can get the cook out too...but I''m not counting on that...

I am sure that a new manager could get the young and up and coming players performing again (pritchard, Murphy''s, Canos, ...).

Neil is just clueless atm and keeping him is bad management by the board

Agree. Need new manager, new ideas. Get rid of the dead wood (and there''s plenty of that). Start building around Thompson Maddison Pritchard etc.

Sorry to say LDC but this post is complete drivel to me. AN still has everything to lose. There is absolutely no comparison between us and a team that had already been relegated, we are still well within reach of the play offs, there is still everything to play for.

I would actually argue that there is more pressure now than ever before for him to get us a result. Things are a tipping point following the reaction at the Huddersfield game, unlike anything we''ve seen from the fans this season, and one more poor performance at home will surely see them completely turn.

Hate to say it and have sympathy for him, but we''re simply not going to turn this around under AN.