Sign in to follow this  
SwindonCanary

RIP Albert Bennett

Great tribute from Rotherham. (I may have overestimated his goals!)
Rotherham United are deeply saddened to learn of the passing of former striker Albert Bennett, aged 72.
Bennett starred for the Millers between 1961 and 1965, becoming one of the club’s most successful strikers.
He made his debut for the club as a 17-year-old and would eventually receive recognition by England at under 23 level. 
In his first full season with the Millers he netted 23 goals in just 29 league appearances. 
During the following 63-64 campaign he added another 16 league goals to his impressive tally, and in his final season he plundered 24 goals from 37 league appearances. 
Overall he scored 70 goals in 121 appearances in all competitions for the Millers.
Millers legend John Breckin had this to say about his friend Albert:
“When I was a supporter as a youngster Albert was part of the side that I really worshipped. Supporters of a certain age will always tell you about that forward line of Albert, Barry Lyons, Ian Butler, Ken Houghton and Frank Casper – it was a privilege to watch them play, they were my heroes.
“His record in front of goal speaks for itself. Anyone with that kind of record in the modern day would have played many times for the full England side. If it wasn’t for his injuries I am sure he would have achieved full England honours, he really was top drawer. In terms of Rotherham strikers, he is right up there at the top with the very best.
“It is very sad to hear the news today. He was a great bloke; I can only imagine that he would have been fantastic in the dressing room as a player. I would like to send my deepest condolences to Albert’s family and friends at this time.”
Albert moved onto to Newcastle United for £27,000 where he was revered by the fans of the Magpies, before ending his career with Norwich City.
His career came to a premature end due to a long standing knee problem.
In recent seasons he was a guest of John Breckin at the club for the 60s reunion.
Rotherham United would like to express our sincere condolences for Albert’s family and friends at this difficult time.
Once a Miller, always a Miller. 
Read more at http://www.themillers.co.uk/news/article/2016-17/albert-bennett-rotherham-united-3480767.aspx#MLokH3WxR4Ww7SQC.99