Sign in to follow this  
Ayrton Twigge

City defence

SORTED

Doherty is playing incredibly well - and Davenport ain''t bad either. And Shacks in the wings.The defence has lost that panicky, shaky, headless attitude its had since Malky left us.

Clean sheets aplenty from now on in.

Was I dreaming or did we really have Fleming and Charlton together as our major duo last year in the first leg of our Premier campaign? Surely not!!

Agreed - the Doc was outstanding last night, had one of those so called ''England defenders'' played anything like that (ok so standard of opponent may be different, arguably) the national media would be going crazy in adoration. The Doc - Norwich''s Beckenbauer may be?

You were''nt dreaming, it did happen last season. I mentioned the same thing to my friend at the match last night. Be careful though Ayrton, your comment could be interpreted as a ''criticism'' or worse still ''a moan''! Heaven forbid, some posters on this board may even begin to think that your true allegiance lies down the A140!

Seriously I honestly can''t believe the obsession that these people have about anyone who ''moans''. Have they never heard a crowd that REALLY gets on the backs of club, team or manager? Why don''t they try Wolves or West Ham for size, now those crowds DO know how to moan. What has happened at Norwich this season is a walk in the park compared to that. 

Even I have been accused of being ''a Binner'' and ''having true allegiances down the road'' due to an attempt I made to bring some balance to the ''Ipswich Debt'' post a week or so back. A quick look at my car, the inside of my house, my desk here at work etc. will prove otherwise of course but in the increasingly Stalinist regime that is this great message board of ours, remember to look over your shoulder if you dare ''moan''! King Juan and co. may pay you a visit!     

The defence is our strongest point at the moment, everyone, colin, davenport, doherty, drury and green, they are all working well together, passing it, spreading the ball around, superb.

We didnt conceed much our end either, apart from the goal we got caught out on, but we made up for it. The defence really didnt look like being beaten once. Drury looked really solid at the back, and was a great addiction going foward, and was unlucky with a couple of shots, did well to get some good crosses in. Colin however is still a bit shakey at times, and got caught out going foward a few times, but he is still a great right back. Davenport and Doherty... well, they are imense to the team, they read each others game and know what to do. This is arguably the best we have seen the defence since malky left....

Also, nice to see Doherty on the score sheets, he has really turned his game around, hes a different player!

they are superb. I thought at the start of the season that our defence will be our weak point but now we have sorted it out. Doh has finally come good and although i liked shackell i think Davenport has to start alongside

[quote]Agreed - the Doc was outstanding last night, had one of those so called ''England defenders'' played anything like that (ok so standard of opponent may be different, arguably) the national media would b...[/quote]

Rider, if thats the you feel maybe you should post on a Scummer message board.

Seriously though, who would have thought that people come on this forum to have wide ranging discussions about all things City.  If certain posters had their way this board would have two topics:
"Well done Worthy another great Win"
and
"Never mind Worthy, we passed the ball about well but we were just unlucky"

Yes our first choice defence looks great. If Dav goes back, hopefully Shacks will be able to step in without disruption too. What will be interesting will be if Doc gets an injury, whether its Flem or Shacks who steps in to the right hand CB position, and how they cope... I think it will be OK, if Fleming doesn''t try and lead the line. Charlton is an able replacement for Drury, but I''m still not sure about MLJ for right back.

I feel I should apologise to the Doc, I haven''t always been complimentary about him, and was obviously wrong. He has been superb!

And credit to Worthy for sorting it out.

Davenport aint bad, the man oozes class.  Doc wouldn''t look so good without being accompanied by this class act.  Flem would look good playing with Dav.  Dav the most composed defender ever seen at Carrow Road.  See how Doc plays when he goes back to Spurs.

Will Worthy break the bank i.e. £3m to ensure a succesful 2005/6, if he can no doubt of his managerial furure.  Swap Deano for £2/3m for Dav and Rasiak in January.  

Davenport the most composed defender EVER seen at Carrow Road?

Steve Bruce anyone? Dave Watson? David Jones (if you go back that far Peter)?

Davenport is a good youngster, but far from the finished article.

Sell Ashton in January? Methinks your orange juice has been spiked, mate!

Who would''ve thought 6 weeks ago we''d be praising the defence for how well they''ve been playing... And moaning at the strikers for not scoring enough!  Personally, I didn''t think we''d have any touble scoring this season

I have to agree that at last the defence is looking composed and has a shape that has been missing since Malky left.

I do think we are going overboard on davenport though - he has looked good but he has not played as well as doc in any of the games - and would any of us, including those calling for his inclusion for so long, be prepared to pay £2-3m for him?  I would not.

We have plenty of time to run a real rule over calum but so far I have seen nothing to suggest that he is a better player than Shax in anything he does - whether that is in the air, on the deck or distribution.  If we can add him to our squad for a million or so that wuld be good business but my first choice would be to spend that on a midfielder where we remain woefully short of options.  To sell ashton just to buy daveport would be totally inappropriate. 

Hopefully shax is being given a rest with a view to rebuilding his confidence in readiness to play his part when davenport goes back to spurs and we can then add davenport when the window re-opens. 

OTBC

[quote]Davenport the most composed defender EVER seen at Carrow Road? Steve Bruce anyone? Dave Watson? David Jones (if you go back that far Peter)? Davenport is a good youngster, but far from the finished ...[/quote]

Not forgetting Ian Butterworth...