Sign in to follow this  
lake district canary

Time to let it go.....

It''s time to forget promotion and hankering after the top of the table.  We simply have to focus on developing the squad, the system and the young players.  If you give up on promotion but instead focus on just improving the football, the emphasis changes from pressure and concentrates on what matters - playing well and together as a squad. There has been too much pressure and feeling of entitlement around our club imo. Under Hughton in the premiership the pressure was enormous - and the pressure has carried on - it got to Adams - after AN''s initial burst of inspiration it appears that AN hasn''t been able to get the best out of the squad due to the pressure of getting instant promotion.   And all you have to do is look around at the clubs around us to see teams on the up  the way that they are progressing with their football philosophies and way of playing. Time to let it go, maybe - and see if we can develop the squad and playing style in a way that AN (or another manager) wants to.  We have plenty of talent, but rebuilding and developing is probably what we should be doing from here on in this season.  We are not going to even get in the top six without some rebuilding - some of the players we have are possibly too punch drunk - ie too many defeats from the seasons in the top flight over the last few years.  They need a break from the pressure and the young players need to be given a chance. Can we let it go?  I doubt it, because we all want promotion, but sometimes you have to take a step back in order to succeed.  If we want to get promotion at all, next season or the season after, it looks like we are going to have to swallow our pride and try to start enjoying a process that starts with letting the promotion dream wait until we have  the footballing side of things right first.

[quote user="Crabbycanary3"]So, is it time, or maybe, or can we?

Blimey LDC, I really wouldn''t fancy you stood besides me, in the trenches[/quote]You could all it a tactical withdrawal, so as to be able to win the battle another day......

So our board have already said we need promotion to be competitive.

But according to LDC that''s all nonsense, who needs promotion. The main thing is keeping AN as manager irregardless of his capability.

I''ve always believed LDC is a genuine poster but am now coming round to the line of thinking that there is some long term trolling going on here.

LDC couldn''t conceal the way he felt anymore. He had to let us all know.

Well, now we know.

Tbf I don''t think lakey is a troll - he''s just a massive happy clapper.

I imagine though, if he had a season ticket or regularly went, that he''d prefer to be watching Premier League football, or anything better than the dross we''ve had for majority of the season.

Maybe LDC should give a little whistle if he starts to feel bad in the future

Wow. I did say AN or another manager, so this is not an AN supporting/happy clappy thread. The idea is a simple one - take away the pressure and the football itself can become the main priority. Get that right and success will follow.  Swansea did it that way.  Huddersfield appear to be doing it that way.  We had every reason at the beginning of the season to think that we would be good enough for the top of the championship, but that plainly isn''t the case.   There is simply too much pressure, too many good competitive clubs who are upsetting our parade, too much baggage attached to the squad we have.  We can still get promotion this season but imo we are not going to do it unless the pressure is released somehow.  Taking the emphasis back to "football" and away from "promotion" is the way to do it.  Imo.

Yay, another lecture on what we should all do.

I literally don''t know how I''d get through the day without one.

A good manager will handle the pressure. Thrive on it.

In effect, you''re saying we just give up this season and play for the fun of it? Did you want to tell that to the fans then who pay for a season ticket, travel, merchandise etc.

LDC let me try and explain

From the day

We arrive

On the planet

And blinking, step into the sun

There''s more to see, that can ever be seen

More to do, that can ever be done.

Failure to go up this season = long term 2nd tier mediocrity ahead.

We''ll curse ourselves for not seizing upon the last opportunity for non billionaire owned clubs to get up and try to establish whilsy more and more Championship rivals sell out to China and over take us.

It''s only the manager that is putting the brakes on this squad storming the league ... and we''ll all love with the long term legacy of that.

[quote user="morty"]Yay, another lecture on what we should all do.

I literally don''t know how I''d get through the day without one.[/quote]Much more of this, and I won''t get through the day.

Why weren''t we Barnsley the other week and why aren''t we Huddersfield right now and then Reading on Monday?

Apples

[quote user="Morgan"]A good manager will handle the pressure. Thrive on it.

In effect, you''re saying we just give up this season and play for the fun of it? Did you want to tell that to the fans then who pay for a season ticket, travel, merchandise etc.[/quote]At the heart of the issues our football club appears to  have is the "dream" of being an established premier league club.  It''s a pipe dream.  It isn''t going to happen.   We will compete for promotion some seasons, we will be mid table some seasons, we will even occasionally get promoted, but will not be able to sustain it more than a season or two.  Personally, I''m fed up with thinking about promotion - I would rather just see an emphasis on getting back to playing good football.  Not since the early nineties have we had a team that you could say - yes, this is how we should be playing.    Worthy got Huckerby in which was great, Lambert did great making us ultra-competitive,  AN got us playing well at first, but the Stringer/Walker years are what I think of when I think of the "Norwich way".    We are a long, long way from that.