Sign in to follow this  
Making Plans

Interesting stat

Shock to see Pulis & Allardyce as the top 2.

Well Leicester are right up there and they certainly didn''t do too badly last season.

As I''ve said seemingly forever. Style of play is of little importance compared to winning or losing. That 10 game unbeaten run under Hughton wasn''t heralded with complaints about style of play. And despite dimwits saying otherwise I''ve never known a thread on here about not renewing season tickets that wasn''t brought about by disappointing results.

Who cares how many passes are made before a goal is scored? Not enough to matter...

Well I''m sorry I''m one of the dimwits according to you as I''m not renewing my season tickets and it''s got fuck all to do with results Nutty, just totally bored with football as it is today.

40 years and this is the season which has highlighted just how we are light years away from winning things like the league cup again even though op premiership teams play their second 11, we still can''t compete with them! Sad state of football.

I played golf again today and shot a respectable 84, followed by a pint and food with friends, much more fun than watching football.

Right on the point Nutty! Couldn''t care less if we had the lowest pass success rate or lowest possession if we were to of the league, I''d be happy as a pig in mud.

That''s still not because of our style of play though is it Indy. Anyway, I''m sure you''ll still be able to make the odd game and if the people are serious about not renewing these should be a plethora of casual tickets for you casual fans.

Merry Christmas to you and you''re ☺💛💚👍👊🎄🎉🚩🚩⛳⛳⛳⛳⛳

And to you Nutty my City pal, have a fab holiday........no for me I''ve just lost the love for it, nothing to do with results, style or anything else matey, just got to the point of not enjoying it!

I hope you''re right casual tickets now and again might just ignite my love in the future who knows!

Stay safe and have fun ........

There is a difference between playing a long pass and what is considered the long ball game. Leicester''s game relied on the pace of vardy sitting on the last man to get onto precise long passes, a fantastic game plan that got the most from the strengths they had available in the squad. Our long balls this season and last come from a combination of midfielders hiding and shirking responsibility, defenders that lack the ability to play the ball from the back and what appears to be a complete lack of style or game plan. I remember a time when we were considered a ''passing'' team, it''s been a lot of years now since we have been

There''s few passing teams now in the style that we had in the late 80s early 90s. And in the 50 years I''ve been going we only had that style for 4 or 5 of them. Some of the worst football I ever saw was 69-71 under Ron Saunders. It improved slightly in 71/72 but that''s a golden season for me and many others because we got promoted to the top league for the first time. However that first season up was worse still. It was turgid but we still loved it when we won. 

[quote user="nutty nigel"]There''s few passing teams now in the style that we had in the late 80s early 90s. And in the 50 years I''ve been going we only had that style for 4 or 5 of them. Some of the worst football I ever saw was 69-71 under Ron Saunders. It improved slightly in 71/72 but that''s a golden season for me and many others because we got promoted to the top league for the first time. However that first season up was worse still. It was turgid but we still loved it when we won. 
[/quote]

You are probably right that the majority would take results first.

And I remember that early Saunders era and it culminated in the home loss to Wrexham in the FA Cup. And there was some bad feeling around even the promotion season when there was a campaign to boycott matches. And as you say it was turned around by results not style of play.

By the way, let''s not forget Saunders created a Villa side that got promotion, won the League Cup, the 1st Division and European Cup!

Personally, I had grown up used to watching City play that style and ever since Bond took over, we changed to a style that was pleasing as well as productive.

But I also see "beauty" in some teams that get it forward early. Nobody could accuse Real Madrid of over passing for instance, and why would you with Ronaldo, Benzema etc up front.

My first game was 20 August 1960 versus Sheffield Utd so I did endure a good decade of "kick and rush" and it didn''t stop me going, home and away, and there were some dreadful away games at dreadful grounds.

So if I still lived in Norwich, I would have a season ticket even if we played like the early Saunders days. So I don''t think it really matters whether it is style or substance in the end.