Sign in to follow this  
sgncfc

Write off this season or not?

So do we go for Option A:

Keep our players in January and try to squeak into the playoffs and hope for another Wembley miracle. If it happens, we will desperately struggle again or have to pay £50m on some more mercenaries.

Or Option B:

Forget the playoffs. Sell Klose, Brady, Naismith, Dorrans, McGovern and a couple of the other ones if they command any fee (Mulumbu, for instance - £40k a week is nonsensical.) . Get rid of Bassong, Ruddy, Whittaker, Turner, Martin, Andreu, Tettey etc. in the summer. If no one wants them, pay them off and clear the decks.

Buy two or three more young, cheap players NOW and gel them into a team for a proper go next season . Add them to Pritchard, Rudd, Maddison, the Murphys, Canos, Oliveira, Godfrey, Crowe, Bennett, Toffolo, Thompson, Pinto, Morris, Grant. We have Howson, Hoolahan, Olsson, Jarvis, Jerome for some experience and that sounds pretty exciting for next season.

So Option B for me - and if I was Alex Neil I''d come out now and say that''s the plan; judge me at the end of next season.

I would only settle for Option B if Alex Neil was also one of the ones out of the door.

He has shown nothing, in my opinion, to suggest that if we aim to develop a young squad, he bas any ability (at all) to improve them in any way, shape or form.

So, Option A for me, unless Neil goes, where I might go with B.

[quote user="SwindonCanary"]Option C - Keep our players in January and try to squeak into the playoffs[/quote]

So that would be the same as Option A then.....

If the club sticks with AN for more than the next 3/4 games then the season is most likely a write-off. If we make a (positive) change soon the playoffs are quite possible. Personally I think the players we already have are good enough to make the playoffs. They need a steadying hand and organisation to get the best out of them.

He was probably on £40K in the prem, don''t forget they all had a wage cut after relegation.

If we''re gonna stick with Alex Neil then we are pretty much writing the season off as he won''t get us top 6.

We need a massive overhaul in playing staff which won''t happen till the summer when contracts are expiring etc. Personally would rather see someone else doing that job, need someone more ruthless to get rid of these players who ain''t up to the job anymore.

Write off this season, this manager, most the senior journeymen and the outdated board / owners, we might be getting somewhere 😂😂😂

72 points still to play for so no need to write the season off just yet. Even if one or two big names leave this squad still has enough about it to finish in the top six, depending on who is managing it.

[quote user="Indy"]Write off this season, this manager, most the senior journeymen and the outdated board / owners, we might be getting somewhere 😂😂😂[/quote]

Spot on Indy. Trouble is changing a manager doesn''t guarantee anything, especially with our incompetent Board in charge of appointing a replacement.

Personally I''d like to see us sell Klose, Brady, Naismith (plus the journeymen like Bassong & Turner etc). Invest in a couple of defenders and start playing the younger generation.

Think we have a great nucleus of Ruddy, Pinto, Olsson, Murphy, Howson & Oliveira, but we need to start building and shaping around Thompson Maddison & Pritchard.

Would love to see

Ruddy

Pinto new new Olsson

Canos Howson/Madds Thompson Murphy

Pritchard

Oliveira

cash in where we can (ho-ho-ho) in jan and chase the play offs. Once they become a pipe dream drop the comfortable old guard and look to build around the younger hungriest players with a key oldie or too.

As far as who to sell, I see no reason to keep any player over 25 and if we get a decent offer look to get them off the books; we wont sell them all so will be stuck with some of them.

As far as the summer end of contracts is concerned, will we be lucky enough to be able to say bye & thanks for all the fish or we will suffer numerous Turner style +1 year contract extensions of deadweight wages and ineffective players - does anyone know?

Plan C

Delia resigns and takes up cooking

Balls joins Nigel Farage''s party and vows to cut out corruption at Westminster.

Pixie Balls will file for divorce if Ed continues to to prance around one of their 3 houses in sequins

AN and his assistant the Pie Man head back to Hamilton to join the SNP and become advisors to Nicola Sturgeon