Sign in to follow this  
philbuzz

Hotel In corner infill!!

Is any one else annoyed that a) there is a hotel going in the infill? b)its a holiday inn!! what precisely is ''innotive'' (as Mr Doncaster says) about building a 3 star pozy hotel in the corner? I could understand if we built a 5 star quality hotel (which currently doesn''t exist in the norwich area). This would attract more higher profile business''s and clients. I''m lost for words!

Is there a new story on this that has passed me by?  How do you know it''s a Holiday Inn?  Has anyone got any idea what it''s going to look like?  I share your worry on this philbuzz.  Hell, may as well make it a Travelodge...

its stupid, surely they would get far more money by building another infill, then say put the hotel behind it?

having the other infill would be fantastic... but i spose it will never happen because:

a) we dont have enough money

b) safety, with the away fans being surrounded, dout it will happen

c) so when the game gets boring, people can still train spot!

One thing that does puzzle me is the clubs plan to generate revenue from this, doesn''t appear to be much of a plan. OK so we''ve had £1.1m paid to us and we have a 30% shareholding, but NO share of proffits. I would have thought at the very least if individuals/organisations are booking pitch side rooms for the purpose of viewing a game then the club should see a cut of that, after all it''s essentially a free footie ticket otherwise (although no doubt the hotel will be charging more for these rooms)!

Football is in the end a business too. Yes it would be have been nice to have all 4 corners filled with seats but £1.1 million is a lot of money to receive in for no outlay or cost to the club in either financial or football terms. It would have COST £3.5 million to put seats in it.

It seems that whatever the board do will be wrong in some peoples eyes. Just remember where we were 7 or 8 years ago!!!

The article is all well and good, and in principle I don''t really have anything against the idea of having a hotel in my football ground.  But what is the damn thing going to look like?  With all the words going round, why can''t we be shown what the plans look like?  Why hide it?

Whilst its dissapointing that we cant have the infill what would you rather? After all if we had sold Deano in the summer we could of had loads of new seats. Sounds too much like the dark days of Master Chase to me when we sold players and bought bricks. We have to be realistic, we have a large debt which needs to be reduced and this seems to make sense, particulary when as ND says it''s far more cost effective to build a new tier on the City Stand. Sounds like a good deal to me, Well done the board.

I''m shocked and saddened. Having a stupid hotel instead of seats. It says that we''re believed to be in 20 million pounds debt! Surely an infill would be better for the long-term?!

"It seems that whatever the board do will be wrong in some peoples eyes. Just remember where we were 7 or 8 years ago!!!"

I just think it shows a lack of vision and certainly is not innotive.I would rather see a high quality hotel or preferably seats, or a new score board, with a giant screen perhaps??I have been to conferences at telford footy ground and the hotel is nice. The conference rooms are pitch side and are let out during games as boxes. I don''t have a dig at the board normally and I respect what they have done for the club, it was meant for open debate not having a dig! It seems you cannot state points on here without being "negative or a doom merchants" This board is for open free debate and people should be free to express there opinions without fear of being carted away.

This hotel is a good move, we''ve got a good deal for the land and a 30% share. Putting another load of seats in there would be false economy, already this season there have been a number of empty seats at Carrow Rd. Our current capacity is more than enough for Championship level, as the board have said, if we make a return to the prem and stay there then the city stand will be increased.

I''ll be interested to see what it looks like as there doesn''t seem to be a lot of land to play with

philbuzz, I believe you have raised a good topic for discussion but you seem a little thin skinned when you receive responses that don''t agree with your point of view. In any event, it did not sound as if you were seeking a debate on both sides of the issue as your opening line on the thread was "Is anyone else annoyed .....". If I were thin skinned and concerned if people were going to have a "dig" at me I would have disappeared long ago. Fight for your point of view. Don''t start a debate and then complain if people do exactly that.

I thought they said initially that it was going to be a 5 star hotel, as there wasnt currently one in the City, so it would attract a certain niche of hotel staying clients. Now its a 3 or 4 star airport style express? Hmm! There is a novelty value to it, which will attract Norwich fans, but would it be any different (really) to staying in the Travel Inn in Duke Street? I think there is a lack of a certain type of hotel in the City, . I might be tempted to stay there when I go to the beer Festival, for example (next year of course, they wont build it in four weeks!) but I think what concerns most fans is how the pitchside aspect would look. Whatever it looks like they''ll have to have the acces for the ambulances things like that. Guess we''ll have to wait till we can see some plans!

I''m awful sorry to put a cat among the pigeons people.....But there is no hotel being constructed between the infill. I''ve just spoken to Mrs Dolly Harbottle, a local entrepreneur from "Glorious Fiddlewood", who has actually purchased the land between the Barclay and Jarrold. This middle aged ''muvver'' of 9 children, is building a 6 bedroomed B&B with outside toilet; to conform with the wishes of the local residents, and the future ambitions of NCFC.

Mrs Dolly is strict disciplinarian, of rotund build, heavily tattooed (most are spelt correctly) and lacking several teeth from her upper and lower mandibles, and most definitely won''t take any lip or boorish behaviour, from future guests or misbehavin'' individuals who intend (or wish) to stay at her ''NO STAR'' "Chez Nuts Canary Yeller" B&B accommodation.

Her husband Bert (the belly) Harbottle said: "We harv dersided ta boiy the larnd, so weez carn gahain sum carpital havter winnin'' Â£8.5 mahillion hon thar Narshnul Lootery." Mr N Doncaster, a spokesperson for NCFC said: "We are extremely pleased that Mr & Mrs Harbottle have purchased the land, it''s an extremely exciting venture- and we fully intend to start construction on Monday. If all goes well (and the weather permits), this quality B&B should be completed a week on Wednesday. It will be an aesthetically pleasing carbuncle on the Norwich skyline, complementing the rest of this fine Stadium, and will most certainly attract corporate clients and businesses to the local area." 

Asked if he wished to make a closing comment concerning the impending property venture, Mr Harbottle said: "Yer! me livin'' room windah is gorna overlook the pitch, arn orn march daze, I iz gonna'' gert me drinkin'' buds round wiv a foo crates arn get really larshed hup! Har! har! har!" Mrs Harbottle declined to comment....

Breaking News: A Mr M Carroll of Swaffham, is apparently showing interest in the future and further development of the upper tier of the City Stand. Planning permission for a Bingo Hall, Lap Dancing Club and a 24 hour drinking den have been submitted. OTBC ;~) 

[quote]I''m awful sorry to put a cat among the pigeons people.....But there is no hotel being constructed between the infill. I''ve just spoken to Mrs Dolly Harbottle, a local entrepreneur from "Glorious Fiddl...[/quote]

lap dancing and football????????? It will be heaven on earth

"What have the Romans ever done for us?"

sounds a bit like "apart from £1.1m, what''s in it for the club?". Umm, £1.1m? Last time I looked that was a hell of a lot of money. It would cost millions more to build a corner infill... that just isn''t going to happen. The main reason for building the last infill was to create space for disabled fans... I doubt it would have been viable as just additional seats. And it has been explained in the article, extra seats would be cheaper to build on the City stand, and be seats with a better view.

The hotel has been planned for years, why is anyone surprised? One thing... it should help keep sound in at the end of the Barclay and that should make it all sound louder.

Forgive me but I see this as a fantastic oppertunity. We have sold the land for £1.1M. That''s a huge amount of money. The hotel will also provide revenue, as well as boosting corperate and restaurant sales. We can build seats on top of the city stand and on top of the Jarrold if we want. Who cares if it''s a Holiday Inn? If they were paying the most money then good for them! Well done Doncaster and the rest of the board for this deal I say

I''m personally very surprised and dubious about the hotel. Ok £1.1 is a lot of money but not really in football terms. It limits our options for further expansion which should be a very real goal if we are aiming to establish ourselves in the prem. I''m also slightly disturbed that we are almosty £20 million in debt. That seems an awful lot for a club that is supposed to be financially secure. The hotel seems a very short term way of generating capital but £1.1 million doesn''t make much headway in a £20 million debt! Still if building a second tier on the city stand is a better way of increasing capacity than filling the corner perhaps this is a more sensible move! I''m prepared to trust the board!

Putting aside the huge financial costs of building another infill, people seem to be missing a fundamental point about putting in infill in that corner. That would be half of it would be taken up with segregation measures to seperate home and away fans. It would be financially stupid to build an infill for the same price as the NU community stand and only be able to use half of it. How would that help our debt? Sounds like the club have made a wise decision for the future!

Don''t know if my memory serves me correctly, but...

When there was first talk of an hotel in the corner infill, I thought the proposed design allowed for the provision of an additional 1000-1200 seats built onto the back of the hotel. These seats would be an integral part of the construction and could not be put in until the main building was started/completed. This design makes sense for the hotel because they don''t want to have a weird triangular bit sticking out of the back - also, it is by no means certain that any rooms would have windows overlooking the ground (a disappointment for those of you planning that midweek ''Valentines'' break for the girlfriend that just ''happens'' to coincide with the FA Cup 4th round replay against Chelsea!).
If I am right, then we could have some extra seats from this development, aswell as the City Stand option if/when we go up again. Does anyone else remember this, or has my Saturday night hangover given me phantom recall again?