Sign in to follow this  
......and Smith must score.

Match thread Reading v City

Just wanted to write a response to this thread with my own reflections, having been at the game and viewed the television highlights.

It''s easy to see the result on paper as another capitulation but the performance was improved. Reading have the highest average possession in the league and we stopped them playing in the first half. We closed them down and dominated the ball for the first half hour. The trouble was we didn''t do much with it and Naismith was the main culprit for lazy passing and poor control. A big moment in this period was Dorrans going off injured when he got (deliberately) kicked in the knee by McShane after play had stopped. Why this wasn''t a red card, I do not know. It meant disruption in a formation that had worked well, with Olsson then introduced at left back, Brady moved forward and Howson having to sit deeper.

The goal we conceded was very poor. Simple ball and nodded in by Kermorgant. This was a player that went on to have several free headers throughout the game (I guess we don''t learn). I was watching Bennett try to organise the defence in the run up to the free kick but then he found himself stranded behind the goalscorer as the ball came in. Leaves you wondering what they actually do in training for defending set pieces.

The second half began well and we soon had Reading rattled by high tempo attacking play. This was the kind of slick movement with which we are capable of tearing teams apart. Oliveira scored with an excellent, calculated finish and you could see he was up for this game. The away support were all behind the team and a second goal wasn''t far away. Unfortunately, it went to Reading, who were gifted a penalty after Howson''s fumblings on the line. A clear red but, again, Kermorgant went unchallenged for the header across and Ruddy was left ball watching. After the pen bounced back off the crossbar, the only Norwich player who seemed to react was Olsson.

A goal and a man down. Considering our run of late, it would have been easy to give up hope. However, Norwich were attacking again and grabbing at least a point from the game did seem possible. The catalyst was Oliveira, who continued to look full of purpose and the man most likely to do something. Then, the double substitution arrived and Oliveira''s number came up. As you''re all aware, this was greeted by boos and chants of ''you don''t know what you''re doing'' from the away fans. It really was a stunning change. The best player on the pitch at the moment was being replaced. Neil commented after the game that we needed pace up front as justification for the swap. Firstly, Oliveira is not a slow player and had been linking up well with Pinto and Murphy in particular. Secondly, why not throw on Jerome alongside him? This, to me, showed up Neil''s decision-making and reading of the game in a big way. He failed to sense the fans were behind the current team and, more than anyone, Oliveira. On Radio Norfolk, Mark Rivers said about Oliveira that there was real emotion in his play. Forget your pre-game tactics and contingency plans, there was no doubt in anyone''s mind that Oliveira should have stayed on. Not to hark back to the days of Lambert, but he would have recognised that and would''ve thrown on Jerome too and gone for the draw (or even a famous win). Perhaps focusing too much on a single substitution is getting carried away but the consequence of this illogical decision was clear. It sucked energy from the side, Jerome ended up making isolated runs and, most importantly, it drew real ire from the crowd.

The game petered out and Reading''s third was always going to be likely if you''re trying to commit men forward. Difficult to see from the away end but the highlights showed that Ruddy could''ve done better (hit hard but his near post) and, notably, Hoolahan gave up on tracking his man. This was focused on by Channel 5, who showed him stopping in frustration and letting the goalscorer run on into the box. A very worrying reaction from a player who should''ve been full of energy as a substitute but perhaps indicative of the current mood in the squad. At the final whistle, Jerome walked straight off but it was encouraging to see a few of the players come over to the fans. Pinto and Murphy applauded the support and gave their shirts over, so fair play to them.

In sum, the performance wasn''t terrible and having the double blow of conceding a pen and losing Howson made a positive result very difficult to attain. We showed commitment, played some slick attacking football and did stop Reading from playing their usual game for long periods. But defensive errors still prevail and the decision to replace Oliveira was completely wrong. All ifs and buts, yet if Oliveira remained on the pitch I think we could''ve pinched a draw. He was the focal point.

Not many managers survive form consisting of 8 losses out of 10, particularly at a side that''s meant to be chasing promotion. I do have respect for Neil but he''s not the figure he was when he joined the club. There is something very wrong with the side and it''s difficult to see how he''s the man to turn it around.

Sir Blobfish - A calm and measured summary from someone actually at the game. What''s it doing on here ? :)I think the concensus is that taking off Oliveira was a big mistake, and, as you say, Jerome could have been brought on to partner him. What was there to lose ?Admittedly it was straight after the game but AN sounded as though he''s a beaten man managing this football club. Calls for his resignation are futile unless he gets a '' mutual consent '' payoff. Very few would want to leave with nothing but I hope he''s released soon if only for his own sanity.