Sign in to follow this  
TIL 1010

The Borussia Dortmund Model.

[quote user="Hoola Han Solo"]So that''s on poster other than Til that doesn''t think this thread is a bit silly.[/quote]Please forgive me as whatever was i doing started a football related thread ok about a German side but with links to Norwich City through Lambert and our last opponents regarding the style of play.

Speaking of German links...Mark Fotheringham has just got the boot as assistant coach at Karlsruher SC in Bundesliga 2.

Fozzy in!

Apples

We should rather follow the Hertha model. Club legend player after retirying starts coaching youth teams, then gets promoted as manager. But then I guest City''s top brass would never embrace such an idea.

Why can''t we scour all of Europe for the Borussia Dortmund coaching manual? We could start with libraries in Dortmund. With any luck it could turn into a modern day Da Vinci Code.

OK, confidence, self-belief, unity, fearlessness, job satisfaction, fully buying into the objectives and the method, hunger, ambition, youthful optimism etc. etc. are invaluable club assets at any level and can produce a team far greater than the sum of its parts. Does anyone disagree? But what has this to do particularly with Dortmund rather than, say the Wimbledon of Crazy Gang days, Liverpool in their heyday, or countless other examples? It''s pretty obvious that many of these ingredients are currently lacking at NCFC, we all know that. The question is how to begin to acquire them again and for thoughts on how not to go about it and the mistakes we''ve already made see Parma''s revived "what we should (or shouldn''t) do with our best players" thread.As for Lambert, his extraodinary success with us can be seen as owing a lot to the lowly starting point, the dire financial situation of the club (which left him with no alternative in terms of recruitment strategy), and his prior knowledge of  players he could rely on for the required loyalty and mentality (like Russ Martin, Tierney, Fox, Wilbraham) gleaned from his time at Wycombe and Colchester.

What''s the next account you plan to use when this one gets banned?

You might as well tell me now, it will save a lot of time later.

There''s nothing straight about you pal, Chopsy was ok though, ah but that was you as well mmmmm nothing straight at all.

Apologies for allowing Katie to draw me into derailing the thread Till1010. I''ve posted it again so it can have a fresh start.

The Borussia Dortmund Model.

It is well documented that Paul Lambert who gave us the best years of Delia''s twenty year reign has a strong connection with them and took his coaching badges there.

Jurgen Klopp was a huge success there as manager and is transforming Liverpool who have under achieved massively by their standards in recent times.

Now up pops David Wagner at Huddersfield another product from Dortmund who has got a squad of average Championship footballers players punching above their weight and who were without doubt the best side we have played this season.

Maybe we should narrow our search of Europe somewhat next time ?

Nothing wrong with the OP as a point of debate. Although honing in on Dortmund specifically is maybe a bit tenuous, we''ve often discussed (and lamented the absence of) a distinct footballing philosophy that underpins the club from junior level to first team (Swansea and Southampton being two oft-cited English examples).It does rankle a little that we can ''scour Europe'' and end up with Neil Adams, yet a smaller club like Huddersfield can attract an outstanding coach such as Wagner. Much as I am still, on balance, supportive of Delia and Michael, our provincial attitudes regarding the potential appointment of foreign managers could be construed as a bit close-minded when you consider the diversity of coaching styles across Europe. Coupled with our outright refusal to consider selling the club, especially to ''foreigners'', it does make us look like we''re following this ''locally run'' template with a bit too much rigour. It''s a balance, of course, and the last thing we want is a Massimo Cellino character at the club, but I do feel a little envious when I look at the style of football Huddersfield fans get to enjoy. It can be done progressively and sustainably, but I doubt it will be at Carrow Road any time soon, and that''s a shame.

Even the Swansea model is going to crash and burn this season.

Nevertheless as you say, a philosophy and style of play adopted throughout the club would be good to see.

[quote user="VanWink"]Even the Swansea model is going to crash and burn this season.

Nevertheless as you say, a philosophy and style of play adopted throughout the club would be good to see.[/quote]They slipped up by sacking Garry Monk too early. Guidolin was a strange appointment and Bob Bradley utterly bizarre. No one gets it right all the time, but through Martinez, Sousa, Rodgers, Laudrup and Monk they kept the footballing philosophy steady despite changes of manager. No chance of that at Carrow Road in the current climate.

[quote user="Mr Apples"]Scratch Dortmund...why can''t we be Real Madrid and/or Barcelona, with a touch of Chelsea, a smidgeon of Bayern Munich and a tiny dash of Juventus.

Apples[/quote]

There was a time when we wanted to be just like Charlton

[quote user="Donkey dangler"]We shouldn''t forget that our ex manager Paul Lambert played for Borussia Dortmund.[/quote]I think you will find i covered that plus Borussia being where he obtained his coaching badges in the very first sentence of my opening post Tangie.