Sign in to follow this  
kirku

Roy Hodgson - Why not?

Roy''s been one of the most prominent names to be linked and I''ve seen lots of stuff written about how awful he''d be, and I really don''t get it.

Wealth of experience, managed some of the biggest clubs in the world, over-performed with some average ones and managed England.

I know he was a flop at Liverpool and England were absolutely dire at the last two tournaments, but he''s surely good enough to give us a shot at promotion? Or am I missing something?

I''ve no idea on if he would come, but am trying to figure out why lots of people think he''d be a bad appointment.

For example, on the front page, the chairman of the Canaries Trust says, "I have a horrible feeling they might get Roy Hodgson in, at least temporarily, and I think that would be horrendous."

Why would he be horrendous? For me, he''s the probably the standout ''realistic'' (ish) candidate on the pretty uninspiring list. Him or Warburton (who also might not come).

In terms of the establishment of a robust, educative, cross-pollinating footballing structure with delineated roles, oversight, Sporting Director, over-arching philosophy and a framework that does not crumble or dramatically change course upon the departure of the lightning rod head coach, he would be an excellent addition as part of that framework.

Parma

ps: put that on a bumper sticker 😂

Done okay at smaller clubs. After years in the highest paid football managers job I''m sure he''d not be too worried about wages. He''s not getting a Premier League job after Iceland.

I would be more comfortable with him in a director of football role; devising an implementing a strategy and supporting the coaching side. Appointing a 69 to be managing the team does not sit well with me.

Would put Ricky Ms role in danger - so for me would be a win win.

Definitely a yes from me. The experience and authority needed to galvanise the team.

He''s a wet weekend.

I know that isn''t exactly contributing to the footballing part of the argument, but, as has been said, he hasn''t been a success EVERYWHERE he has been, and as a Manager of a team that needs it''s ''arris kicked, in the Championship, then , for me, he is a long way from what I would want in a Manager, or any role, right now. (I am aware that he has Delia on speed dial, so just watch this space...............)

Dire football and tactics for a start. 
Yes, he was successful with Fulham and West Brom, but aside from that his career is littered with mediocrity right the way back to 1990, before that he had a fairly good showing in the Swedish league.
Even when he has been successful, his teams have played incredibly dull, negative football. 
The two seasons under Hughton were soul-destroying. Boring, negative crap every week. Hodgson would be this but worse.

Over the past few weeks, my personal criteria for what''s required from our new manager has gradually been chiseled down, it has been left looking like this;

1) isn''t Alex Neil.

Roy Hodgson fits this criteria therefore I would welcome his appointment.

[quote user="Cantiaci Canary"]1) Wages?

2) Would he go from England to 12th in the Championship?[/quote]

But he isn''t going from England. He''s already gone! He would be going from out of work to 12th in the Championship (and falling). Personally, no thanks but anything might be better than what we''ve got.

[quote user="kick it off"]Dire football and tactics for a start. 
Yes, he was successful with Fulham and West Brom, but aside from that his career is littered with mediocrity right the way back to 1990, before that he had a fairly good showing in the Swedish league.
Even when he has been successful, his teams have played incredibly dull, negative football. 
The two seasons under Hughton were soul-destroying. Boring, negative crap every week. Hodgson would be this but worse.
[/quote]

WBA fans did not like him.

I''d love nearly anybody but woy or Alex Neil at the moment

Was dire at Liverpool and England basically should be put out to pasture. Not only that he''s another of delias mates, which should be enough for anyone not to want him. Just look at his tactics against Iceland or basically anyone when it mattered to see why he shouldn''t get the job

[quote user="Lessingham Canary"]Cant get excited by him, cant remember ever watching one his teams and thinking, wow they are good to watch.[/quote]Agree Lessingham, but the other side of the coin, what are we being forced to watch now?

The only downside I can see is his relationship with the owners. But if he were to be successful then that''s far from a problem as well. This talk of dire football is largely irrelevant, we''ve been watching dire football since Lambert went

kick it off wrote the following post at 28/12/2016 12:01 PM:

Dire football and tactics for a start.

The two seasons under Hughton were soul-destroying. Boring, negative *** every week. Hodgson would be this but worse.

--------------------------------------------------------------------

KIO I can''t remember the last time that I agreed with every word you have written but on this occasion I most certainly do!

Dire, boring, dull, negative football. We might as well have kept Hughton.

After the Iceland result should never manage again! England stank out two tournaments under this clown.

Past his very poor best - not a good motivator, tactical genius, or able to develop talent.

One of the very few appointments that would make me think it would be better to persevere with Alex.

But would you take ''dire'' football for 18 months if it meant getting promoted and staying in the PL? The reason why we turned on Hughton was because he wasn''t succesful. Hodgson, if he came here, wouldn''t be here much longer than 18 months and for me represents a very good appointment. Yes, you have the relationship with the owners, but I refer back to the fact that he won''t be here ''long term.'' Compare Hodsgon to the other relaistic candidates and he comes out quite near the top. We could do an awful lot worse.

Just can''t see him firing up, or making a team, out of our under achieving bottlers.

Sorry to repeat what so many on here are saying but "friend of the joint majorities" has a history of disaster attached to it. Just think of names like Gunn, Adams, Fry, Balls, Smith and Phillips. All appointed on the back of being known/friends of the owners. Now we have Moxey, friend of a friend. Not been here long enough to judge at the moment but based on stuff posted by TIL1010, the Wolves fans couldn''t wait to see the back of him after his lengthy and largely failed time with them.

Another highly questionable appointment at a senior level has to be the Technical Director who is now working close to professional footballers for the first time in his life and has recently been put in charge of player acquisition and disposal (albeit the manager has the final say). Presumably the board, by which I mean the owners, would have rubber-stamped the meteoric rise of this member of their staff. As ZLF said on this thread when discussing a DoF post for Hodgson, such an appointment would lead to the removal of Ricky Martin, or at least return him to a level of player development with which he has experience.

I''d understand the style issues, if we were currently playing great free-flowing stuff, but let''s face it, it''s been dire.

[quote user="Cantiaci Canary"]2) Would he go from England to 12th in the Championship?[/quote]Isn''t that about the same [;)]Anyway, I''ll tell you why - He was unable to get the 11 best players we have in England playing to their maximum ability and as a team.He is unable to motivate the playersHis teams can''t defend crosses and long throwsWhen things go wrong he stands on the touchline looking cluelessHe does not have a Plan BHis team selection and use of substitutes is extremely poorHis team is unable to beat anyone above them (sometimes they can''t beat teams below them)Ringing any very loud bells?

I think Roy would organise and drill our defence and with the offensive talent we possess (at this level) I would expect us to roar back up the table.

In the dream scenario of winning promotion he would be far shrewder at helping a club our side punch above its weight than Neil too.

[quote user="Cantiaci Canary"]I think Roy would organise and drill our defence and with the offensive talent we possess (at this level) I would expect us to roar back up the table.

In the dream scenario of winning promotion he would be far shrewder at helping a club our side punch above its weight than Neil too.[/quote]

I agree with this, we desperately need someone who can organise a defence. It has been years since we looked like anyone had even thought to practice defending.

I''ve been contemplating this question for days, Hodgson''s pedigree / experience having managed 2 Inter Milan, Liverpool and 2 international teams far outweighs anything our last 3 successful applicants could muster, and when you weigh up what other prospective candidates have I think Hodgson comes out top trumps there too.

There is criticism of his record at 2 tournament, and you get no argument from me that England under performed. The collective failure of an entire team to turn up isn''t something that feels unfamiliar to our current position, however the levels are miles apart. If you look a bit further the last qualifying campaign was 10 wins, not to be sniffed at, and the previous campaign was 6 wins and four draws, so unbeaten in 20 games at a level which should offer much encouragement that the guy could manage in the championship! Finally, in terms of footballing style, England looked pretty good in Germany showing some fight to win after being 2 goals down.

The fact Roy is friends with the establishment may mean that he could bring some board members / directors in line with modern football.

I actually think the club needs to create some stability, so I would look to offer him a 2 year contract, and bring in Paul Scholes (Giggs, even Neville, but perhaps the board should work with Roy on who) or someone of that ilk to take over when Roy is moved into a Director of Football role. After all the guy is circa 70.