Sign in to follow this  
whistleblower

Delia Smith may become most hated owner in club history

Anyone that actually speaks to Cullum about this will know that there is quite a gap in what he says happened and what The Club says happened. Fortunately for me , working with PC briefly , I never had to endure the personal nightmare of seeing "Towergate" on a Norwich City shirt, but his success does suggest that he isn''t quite a stupid as being portrayed. For a time PC genuinely thought he was closing in on a deal , and presumably based this on what he was being told. He was then told , in a rather remote fashion, that the deal was off - and then took the rather silly action of going to (a very willing) local media. Part of this action was due to a fairly sizeable ego, and  partly due to a sense that he had been lead up the garden path.

The one thing that is missing from the article re produced by Nutty (and thanks for doing so) is the identification of which elements of it have been "taken out of context" as reported by MWJ at the AGM.

As I have also said before I don''t entirely follow the "Successional Planning" argument. There seems to me to be a similarity here of the kind of successional planning that family businesses go through , but to treat NCFC as a family business goes against the whole ethos of being custodians. I''m sure Nephew Tom is a jolly nice chap, but his description as a good board director seems a bit odd, as I cant see that he has ever been a director of anything before ? So you can only conclude he has been given this position because he is a family member? Pure successional planning of a £100m t/o company should be based around skill sets and CV''s .

Are there any Inheritance Tax planning experts that post on here?  

"successional planning of a £100m t/o company should be based around skill sets and CV''s ."

We don''t do all that new fandangle stuff 😀

Cantiaci Canary wrote: "Sadly, the old world of football has gone - I mourn that as much as

anyone - but if you don''t leap on a surf board you are destined to

submerge short term and sink in the long."Funny then that the old world of football is determinedly clung on to by fans, who continue to espouse the outdated conception of clubs as "belonging" to them. Most of the heat generated on here derives from that antiquated notion. The apoplectic reaction by many to the Times interview just shows how deeply this proprietorial myth is entrenched. It also exposes the contradiction in demonising an owner who actually (and quite sincerely) espouses, and seeks to maintain some substance to, the myth.

It''s fine to be nostalgic when looking back but foolhardy to not move with the times.

Would Shakespeare shun a computer for a quill if he was an author today?

Just because you remember the past fondly doesn''t mean that it should be replicated as the world evolves around you.

[quote user="tom cavendish"]What do you mean by "move with the times".  Do you mean to sell the club to an investor who would want to make money for themselves out of the club?[/quote]

And of course Delia gets nothing out of NCFC, does she? She needs the club more than the club needs her, so we are where we are and the fans suffer as a result.

[quote user="tom cavendish"]"And of course Delia gets nothing out of NCFC, does she"What do you think Delia gets out of NCFC?[/quote]

Publicity worth hundreds of thousands to stroke her ego and overblown self-importance, despite being incompetent as a board member and majority shareholder.

She''s doing to NCFC what the Boston Strangler did for door to door Salesman.

[quote user="tom cavendish"]"And of course Delia gets nothing out of NCFC, does she"What do you think Delia gets out of NCFC?[/quote]What do you think she gets out of NCFC then?

Tom I thought you were connected with football ??

Delia put money in when we were skint and bought shares

now we are debt free

so she has been repaid the money she put in

now she has a club with 26 k every game

with the right manager could go up with mega PL money

her shares are worth 30 to 40 mil ??? maybe more if we went up

and you ask what she gets out of it errrrr doubled her investment ( maybe )

All this talk of nasty billionaires ruining clubs.

Well Wigan and Blackpool are doing pretty poorly with our nepotic model. A bad owner is a bad owner regardless of nationality, wealth or in our case whether they come from ''good stock''

However there are arguments for both sides on whether foreign ownership or selling to a billionaire is a good idea. I can''t find any examples of clubs in the modern age being handed down to a family member and doing well!

I''d rather take the risk under a new owner than know were just not going to be able to compete under Tom Smith when he takes over.

If she sacked him when she should have (in summer for me ) or even a few games ago she would not have brought her families control of the club into the limelight as much

so not only is she causing pain to the fans for ruining this season but also she is putting her family in the firing line most people would accept Tom if the smith''s ran the club right

why would someone do that ?

now we are left questioning everything about the club CEO /TOM even the scampi !!

could all been avoided if she had acted sooner

Do you not realise how utterly absurd your claim is?Delia has been one of the most respected famous people in the UK for decades and has put millions of pounds of her own money into the club... and yet you seriously think Delia is involved with NCFC for "Publicity worth hundreds of thousands"?

[quote user="OldRobert"][quote user="tom cavendish"]"And of course Delia gets nothing out of NCFC, does she"What do you think Delia gets out of NCFC?[/quote]What do you think she gets out of NCFC then?[/quote]What do you think she gets out of NCFC then?

[quote user="tom cavendish"]Do you not realise how utterly absurd your claim is?Delia has been one of the most respected famous people in the UK for decades and has put millions of pounds of her own money into the club... and yet you seriously think Delia is involved with NCFC for "Publicity worth hundreds of thousands"?

[/quote]

Delia Smith''s priority is Delia Smith. The club is a vehicle for her ego and self importance. She would be lost without it. If you seriously think that she is one of the ''most respected people in the country'' you clearly don''t get out very much.

She has a significant net gain from the club and all her loans have been paid back. The club is suffering dearly due to her lack of acumen and ignorance to the job in hand.

What does Delia Smith get out of Norwich? Well let''s say as far as investments go then thanks to Paul Lambert she has had all her investment paid back and is now sitting on shares worth millions. So Delia Smith is getting a great deal out of Norwich

But if Delia Smith was in it "for herself" and what she could extract from it, surely once Lambert had "made her fortune" she''d have sold her shares to any Dick or Harry rather than handing them over to Tom?

[quote user="komakino"][quote user="tom cavendish"]Do you not realise how utterly absurd your claim is?Delia has been one of the most respected famous people in the UK for decades and has put millions of pounds of her own money into the club... and yet you seriously think Delia is involved with NCFC for "Publicity worth hundreds of thousands"?

[/quote]

Delia Smith''s priority is Delia Smith. The club is a vehicle for her ego and self importance. She would be lost without it. If you seriously think that she is one of the ''most respected people in the country'' you clearly don''t get out very much.

She has a significant net gain from the club and all her loans have been paid back. The club is suffering dearly due to her lack of acumen and ignorance to the job in hand.[/quote]I am sorry but you are really not very bright. She only makes money on her shares if she sells them. Which you want her to do, but she doesn''t. And you are criticising her for not doing the one thing you claim she is in it for...

Duncan why would Delia sell though she has enough money

her and hubbie do not need anymore to see out their lives

she has got out what she put in now she can give her Nephew a going concern which is better than money

[quote user="komakino"][quote user="tom cavendish"]Do you not realise how utterly absurd your claim is?Delia has been one of the most respected famous people in the UK for decades and has put millions of pounds of her own money into the club... and yet you seriously think Delia is involved with NCFC for "Publicity worth hundreds of thousands"?

[/quote]

She has a significant net gain from the club and all her loans have been paid back. The club is suffering dearly due to her lack of acumen and ignorance to the job in hand.[/quote]

If the club is suffering then her return on her investment will go down. 

The question was what does Delia Smith get out of Norwich? The answer is shares worth millions, it''s irrelevant what she chooses to do with those shares

[quote user="norfolkngood"]Duncan why would Delia sell though she has enough money

her and hubbie do not need anymore to see out their lives

she has got out what she put in now she can give her Nephew a going concern which is better than money[/quote]

The insinuation was that she was in it for what she could get. So selling would be the way to do it.

[quote user="tom cavendish"]Do you not realise how utterly absurd your claim is?Delia has been one of the most respected famous people in the UK for decades and has put millions of pounds of her own money into the club... and yet you seriously think Delia is involved with NCFC for "Publicity worth hundreds of thousands"?

[/quote]

Have to agree with that Tom. If anything its the club that is getting free advertising out of this link up.

OK Cavendish, you asked the question "What does Delia get out of Norwich City FC?"  You''ve had a myriad of answers from various posters, several of whom you''ve disagreed with, but so far you''ve refused to answer your own question.  So I ask again...........What do YOU think she gets out of NCFC?

Why would Delia sell makes no sense !

she would have to pay a lot of tax if she sold it

then she would leave that money to Tom anyway

so as she does not need the money herself she can just hand it over to Tom

why give away millions to the tax man when you can keep your money in the club

[quote user="OldRobert"]OK Cavendish, you asked the question "What does Delia get out of Norwich City FC?"  You''ve had a myriad of answers from various posters, several of whom you''ve disagreed with, but so far you''ve refused to answer your own question.  So I ask again...........What do YOU think she gets out of NCFC?[/quote]The same as you and I would if we had the kind of money to put in that she did, Old Bob. If I had that sort of dough I would certainly have done my bit for the club I''ve supported all my life and got a lot of satisfaction out of it. Nothing very strange about that is there? I expect you would have done the same in a similar position.