Sign in to follow this  
whistleblower

Delia Smith may become most hated owner in club history

There are some fans on this board that actually buy into her vision, or lack of vision as I see it, and would prefer a low achieving club with a small and greatful fan base!

[quote user="VanWink"]There are some fans on this board that actually buy into her vision, or lack of vision as I see it, and would prefer a low achieving club with a small and greatful fan base![/quote]

When did she reveal this vision for the club?

Iwan''s Big Toe wrote the following post at 27/12/2016 3:18 PM:

YankeeCanary wrote:

While everyone is obviously entitled to their opinion this particular thread is clearly not seeded and supported by profound thinkers ( not surprised that Crafty found it appealing ).

Ahh, the mantra of a lefty. If you don''t think how I think you''re not very bright.

When people resort to this kind of logic all I hear is:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rwtxrt_C2XQ

Exactly IBT, that''s why I call him the pompous one. He makes Corbyn seem sensible.

[quote user="JF"]Nephew tom has the potential to turn things fiesty! I can''t see many fans giving him very long to make his mark[/quote]Oh but he is such a lovely young man who remembers fans who he has met and wants to meet more of them.

He is proving to be a very good board director because he does exactly as auntie tells him. I understand they call him Arfur because he goes Arf! Arf! when he is doing his seal impersonation clapping our losers off the pitch.

[quote user="YankeeCanary"]
While everyone is obviously entitled to their opinion this particular thread is clearly not seeded and supported by profound thinkers ( not surprised that Crafty found it appealing ).   
[/quote]

"Profound thinkers"? I''m not sure I know who you mean - Friedrich Nietzsche, Jean-Paul Sartre, Immanual Kant, Alain Badiou, Noam Chomsky perhaps?

I don''t think anyone on this board would be egotistical enough to consider themselves a "profound thinker" or wish to be labelled so.

I simply say it as I see it. Others have different opinions and that''s fine. I don''t judge an opinion by who supports it - I make my own mind up. That''s individualism for you!

VanWink wrote:

There are some fans on this board that actually buy into her vision, or lack of vision as I see it, and would prefer a low achieving club with a small and greatful fan base!

Where have you been?

[quote user="Rock The Boat"]There are two alarming parts to the Times interview.

One is the sense of Xenophobia generated by her remarks about foreign owners, which seem strange coming from someone who six months ago actively campaigned for the Remain campaign in the Referendum which means she must be happy with the free movement of people to the UK. From that, I suppose she means it is OK to allow in low-skilled, low-wage immigrants who can provide cheap kitchen labour for the catering industry, but it is not OK to have rich foreigners competing with her in the football industry. I don''t know how she cannot see these are two sides of the same coin.

The second alarming point in the interview was that there was no mention of getting back to the Premier League, no mention of how she plans to take the club forward. other than Alex Niall has as much time as he needs. On the contrary, her comments were more backward-looking to a time when all football was still community-based in that income was derived mainly from gate receipts and footballers were British-born. Well that type of football environment still exists today, though not in the Premier League, but in the lower leagues I think Delia can find the sort of footballing ehtos that she is looking for.

Therefore I think it is inevitable that our long-term future is outside of the Premier League because:

a) The footballing environment that Delia yearns for does not exist in the Premier League

b) After next year we will no longer have the finance to put together a promotion-challenging squad. And the evidence suggests that AN couldn''t deliver a challenge anyway.

But fair enough, the old girl put the money up twenty years ago to keep the club afloat when it faced bankruptcy and as majority shareholders she and her husband have the right to position the club as they see fit.

It''s up to us as fans to decide whether we want to be on Delia''s wagon or not. Personally, in the light of what I have seen and heard about the club this year, I am downgrading my expectations and adjusting my relationship to the club I have supported for over fifty years because I don''t want to live on a daily basis with the pain and angst that defeat after unnecessary defeat brings.[/quote]I don''t see why that gives them the right to convert NCFC into their own Train Set, they also needed the support of the fans which The Cook seems now to despise so much.  It certainly doesn''t give them the right to just sit there and let OUR club go to the dogs.

[quote user="VanWink"]VanWink wrote:

Where have you been?[/quote]Obviously not in you imagination.

[quote user="OldRobert"][quote user="Rock The Boat"]There are two alarming parts to the Times interview.

One is the sense of Xenophobia generated by her remarks about foreign owners, which seem strange coming from someone who six months ago actively campaigned for the Remain campaign in the Referendum which means she must be happy with the free movement of people to the UK. From that, I suppose she means it is OK to allow in low-skilled, low-wage immigrants who can provide cheap kitchen labour for the catering industry, but it is not OK to have rich foreigners competing with her in the football industry. I don''t know how she cannot see these are two sides of the same coin.

The second alarming point in the interview was that there was no mention of getting back to the Premier League, no mention of how she plans to take the club forward. other than Alex Niall has as much time as he needs. On the contrary, her comments were more backward-looking to a time when all football was still community-based in that income was derived mainly from gate receipts and footballers were British-born. Well that type of football environment still exists today, though not in the Premier League, but in the lower leagues I think Delia can find the sort of footballing ehtos that she is looking for.

Therefore I think it is inevitable that our long-term future is outside of the Premier League because:

a) The footballing environment that Delia yearns for does not exist in the Premier League

b) After next year we will no longer have the finance to put together a promotion-challenging squad. And the evidence suggests that AN couldn''t deliver a challenge anyway.

But fair enough, the old girl put the money up twenty years ago to keep the club afloat when it faced bankruptcy and as majority shareholders she and her husband have the right to position the club as they see fit.

It''s up to us as fans to decide whether we want to be on Delia''s wagon or not. Personally, in the light of what I have seen and heard about the club this year, I am downgrading my expectations and adjusting my relationship to the club I have supported for over fifty years because I don''t want to live on a daily basis with the pain and angst that defeat after unnecessary defeat brings.[/quote]I don''t see why that gives them the right to convert NCFC into their own Train Set, they also needed the support of the fans which The Cook seems now to despise so much.  It certainly doesn''t give them the right to just sit there and let OUR club go to the dogs.[/quote]

I understand where you''re coming from, Old Robert, and at root it''s the customer/supporter argument again. For sure, our emotional attachment to the club makes our relationship something more than a customer buying a tin of beans, but I reckon Delia thinks she is getting closer to the fanbase, from my reading of that article, rather than further away. I don''t think we can assume she despises the fans because of where she wants to take the club. She''s not trying to asset strip the club like can be said for a certain other club not too far away from us. That owner must really despise the fans. But I do think her vision will take us into the lower leagues because that is where she seems to be more at home. So we can either accept it, fight against it or (as I am doing) re-adjust my expectations for the next few years.

But who knows, this is football and things can change overnight?

[quote user="Rock The Boat"][quote user="OldRobert"][quote user="Rock The Boat"]There are two alarming parts to the Times interview.

It''s up to us as fans to decide whether we want to be on Delia''s wagon or not. Personally, in the light of what I have seen and heard about the club this year, I am downgrading my expectations and adjusting my relationship to the club I have supported for over fifty years because I don''t want to live on a daily basis with the pain and angst that defeat after unnecessary defeat brings.[/quote]I don''t see why that gives them the right to convert NCFC into their own Train Set, they also needed the support of the fans which The Cook seems now to despise so much.  It certainly doesn''t give them the right to just sit there and let OUR club go to the dogs.[/quote]

I understand where you''re coming from, Old Robert, and at root it''s the customer/supporter argument again. For sure, our emotional attachment to the club makes our relationship something more than a customer buying a tin of beans, but I reckon Delia thinks she is getting closer to the fanbase, from my reading of that article, rather than further away. I don''t think we can assume she despises the fans because of where she wants to take the club. She''s not trying to asset strip the club like can be said for a certain other club not too far away from us. That owner must really despise the fans. But I do think her vision will take us into the lower leagues because that is where she seems to be more at home. So we can either accept it, fight against it or (as I am doing) re-adjust my expectations for the next few years.

But who knows, this is football and things can change overnight?[/quote]It may not be the accepted form of asset stripping Rock the Boat, but imo to allow a club of our size to drift down a league (or two), if that''s what happens, just to justify her outdated vision of football as she sees it, is a form of asset stripping.  It is also sure as hell an insult to the generations of fans from way before her time, and those who supported her over the last 20 years and spent their hard earned cash to help keep the club afloat, so we''ll have to agree to disagree over whether she despises us or not.  When I first started to support this club like many others on here, nobody had ever heard of Delia and her bloody cakes.............she needs to remember that.

[quote user="OldRobert"]I don''t see why that gives them the right to convert NCFC into their own Train Set, they also needed the support of the fans which The Cook seems now to despise so much.  It certainly doesn''t give them the right to just sit there and let OUR club go to the dogs.[/quote]Rudolf Hucker said it was a dolls house. Shows how much the fans are divided. [;)]

[quote user="OldRobert"]I don''t see why that gives them the right to convert NCFC into their own Train Set, they also needed the support of the fans which The Cook seems now to despise so much.  It certainly doesn''t give them the right to just sit there and let OUR club go to the dogs.[/quote]

327,309 shares gives them all the right they will ever need.

tom cavendish wrote the following post at 27/12/2016 6:04 PM:

Can you be specific as to what you think Delia has actually done wrong?

Nephew tom???!!!

Its called a cosy lack of ambition pure and simple. I also call it a dereliction of a company directors duty but given that the BODs onus of responsibility is to themselves (creditors apart) then we can see where the issue is. No one but themselves to answer to. Pathetic state of affairs, rank cronyism and pig-headed stubbornness. The only silver lining is that with continued supporter pressure the old biddy may yet consider a sale of her shares. Pretty abysmal time to be a Canary but I hope the apathy amongst the faithful is falling away to be replaced by more vocal and actionable demands for change. NCFC matters to a great many people - daft as it may seem.

This is a tricky time. When AN has gone the club can move forward without this vindictive stuff. The issue with the board for me is that the indecisiveness is creating divisions within the fanbase and club.

[quote user="tom cavendish"]Can you be specific as to what you think Delia has actually done wrong?[/quote]

You are Tom Smith really aren''t you? Well auntie Delia is now got the club back under her control and with the hard work of Bowkett & McNally debt free at their departures.

With all BOD under her total control again, she can come out in the press as she did and totally write off the fans now.

Bless her she''s just a little old lady now and with the base of older family fans we have, it''s an easy life, unlike fat bob got back in his day!

Still she owns the club, its hers to do as she pleases, good luck to her.

[quote user="bristolcanary"]This is a tricky time. When AN has gone the club can move forward without this vindictive stuff. The issue with the board for me is that the indecisiveness is creating divisions within the fanbase and club.[/quote]
I don''t think that''s quite true Bristol. They have been decisive in not sacking Neil. As to whether they will soon be decisive in sacking him we shall have to wait and see. But a decision is a decision even if it''s one that is not agreed with. As for your other point I think you''re right to a point. But the club will only move forward without the vindictive stuff if we win enough games under whatever manager we are given. If we don''t the vindictiveness will remain. It''s always about results. Only the most avid Delia haters remained that way when we were winning. If it was about her then winning would have made no difference.

I would just like to blame all the posters on here who are obviously hoping for the demise of an elderly female celebrity for the death of Carrie Fisher #karma #paybacksabitch

[quote user="ricardo"][quote user="OldRobert"]I don''t see why that gives them the right to convert NCFC into their own Train Set, they also needed the support of the fans which The Cook seems now to despise so much.  It certainly doesn''t give them the right to just sit there and let OUR club go to the dogs.[/quote]

327,309 shares gives them all the right they will ever need.[/quote]Gives them the power Ricardo, NOT the right.

[quote user="JF"]See the times interview to begin with[/quote]I don''t subscribe to the Times but can see the preview which says "Delia Smith and Michael Wynn Jones have voiced their fears for the

future of the game they love and want the government to intervene in the

running of English football. They believe that supporters are being

betrayed, that the Premier League has warped priorities" etc. It is their opinion and it seems fair enough. What have MWJ and Delia done wrong?

I''m sure if you wanted to you could find information of that interview. There were plenty of threads in here about it.

[quote user="tom cavendish"][quote user="JF"]See the times interview to begin with[/quote]I don''t subscribe to the Times but can see the preview which says "Delia Smith and Michael Wynn Jones have voiced their fears for the

future of the game they love and want the government to intervene in the

running of English football. They believe that supporters are being

betrayed, that the Premier League has warped priorities" etc. It is their opinion and it seems fair enough. What have MWJ and Delia done wrong?[/quote]If you bother to look back to the time when that interview was published, I''m fairly certain that you will find the complete interview is posted on a thread on here.  There is/are threads commenting on the contents around that time, from memory.  Please read the interview before parrotting any more about "what they''ve done wrong".  That certainly was part of what has started some of the bad feeling.....................READ IT FIRST.

I can''t see the full interview but the EDP says that Delia and MWJ said they don''t want to sell the club, they would like a long-term manager, and they spoke up for fans being messed about by fixture changes and the cost of tickets.What is wrong with that?